Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2008, 12:23 AM   #301
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthood
Locus reviews a lot of F/SF/H in both short and long form, provides commentary on publishing trends, con reports and has 2 pages of industry news including deals and the agents who handled them.
If you're serious about getting published in SF/F then it is a good mag to read.
waylander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:46 AM   #302
David I
practical experience, FTW

David I is a glorious beacon of lightDavid I is a glorious beacon of lightDavid I is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
Merilee Heifetz seems to sell a lot of fantasy according to the reports in Locus magazine
Umm, yes.

For example, she is Neil Gaiman's agent.

From Macmillan New Writing, September 7, 2007. (Pan mass-market paperback in September, 2008). In the UK at Goldsboro Books, Borders, Waterstones, and other fine bookstores. Overseas, Amazon.co.uk and most other online retailers.

Drop through Tomorrowville and say hello...
David I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #303
rachel.moore.hawkins
figuring it all out

rachel.moore.hawkins is well-respected
Hi, everyone! I'm Rachel, and I'm new here!

I submitted an e-query to Dan Lazar for my first book,a YA paranormal, at around 10 in the morning on Tuesday. I got a request for a full by nine or so that night. Sadly, I couldn't access my internet until this morning, so I just now sent it.

So many butterflies in tummy! Submitting to WH was one of those "what the hell?" things, like, "I'm sure they'll say no, but it never hurts to try!" I was shocked to get a full ms request so soon. I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but still. Really exciting!
rachel.moore.hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #304
xiaotien
bedazzled /bootay shaker!!

xiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
congrats, rachel! that is very exciting!
keep us posted.

Silver Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 4/09)

Fury of the Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 3/11)

Diverse 3nergies anthology (Tu B00ks: 10/12)

visit my website :
paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!
xiaotien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #305
juneafternoon
Return of the Jedi

juneafternoon is a shiny, shiny jeweljuneafternoon is a shiny, shiny jewel
Congrats Writers House is awesome! Hope you go big on there
Genres: Trance, House, Techno, Dance
Currently Reading: Teach Me by R.A. Nelson
juneafternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #306
Michelle M
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Michelle M is on a distinguished road
Hi Rachel. Congratulations!
Michelle M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #307
SmartAsh
figuring it all out

SmartAsh is well-respected
Ohhh... Congrats! That's exciting... I hope it works out well.

I've been trying to work up the nerve to send out queries... and Dan Lazar is one of the agents that I would definitely be interested in! Based on interviews of his I've read, he seems really laid-back and funny, but completely dedicated to his clients!

Good luck!
SmartAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:23 AM   #308
xiaotien

xiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
i never mentioned that i got a 9 day
form ejection from maya rock to an equery.

visit my website :
paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:27 AM   #309
Marva

Marva is on a distinguished road
Good news for Rachel. Good luck, baby girl!

Me, all I get are rejections from Writers House, so you must be doing something really right.
Marva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:20 AM   #310
rachel.moore.hawkins
figuring it all out

Well, that was short-lived! I got a VERY nice e-rejection from Dan Lazar today. He did say it was energetic and charming, but he wasn't totally in love with it, which I understand. He DID however give me the names of 2 agents he thought might be into it, which I thought was really above and beyond. Then, a few minutes later, he sent another email suggesting another agent at WH. Very classy, cool guy. So rejection or no, nothing but happy feelings about WH!
Thanks for all the support! This board rocks!

Last edited by rachel.moore.hawkins; 02-23-2008 at 05:01 AM.
rachel.moore.hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:26 AM   #311
xiaotien

bummer but wow on the referrals! that's really truly awesome!
and what a compliment. he wouldn't have done it if he didn't
think your book was good.

visit my website :
paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!
Old 02-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #312
jkorzenko

jkorzenko is on a distinguished road
Rachel,

Those referrals are nuggets of gold. Don't ignore them. You go girl! That is an awesome response from Dan Lazar! Congratulations.

Julie
http://www.medallionpress.com
My Blog: http://www.juliekorzenko.blogspot.com
My Web: http://www.juliekorzenko.com

jkorzenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #313
Hopcus

Hopcus is on a distinguished road
Good luck with the referrals!
Old 02-26-2008, 12:52 AM   #314
rachel.moore.hawkins
figuring it all out

Oh, you better believe I jumped ALL OVER those referrals, ha ha! I queried all three that day. Haven't heard back yet from the 2 he originally sent, but Ken Wright at WH emailed me Friday night and asked for the full MS, so it's back on the excitement train I go!
And, again, let me just state that Dan Lazar rocks. I was telling my husband that even though it was a "no" from him, it didn't feel like a no since he was so helpful. Anyone who gets him as an agent would be super lucky.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:33 AM   #315
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That totally rocks.

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:44 AM   #316
brittanimae
making a fresh start.

brittanimae is a candidate for sainthoodbrittanimae is a candidate for sainthoodbrittanimae is a candidate for sainthoodbrittanimae is a candidate for sainthoodbrittanimae is a candidate for sainthoodbrittanimae is a candidate for sainthoodbrittanimae is a candidate for sainthoodbrittanimae is a candidate for sainthood
Lindsay Davis

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with subbing directly to Lindsay Davis, formerly Steven Malk's west coast assistant who is now accepting queries directly. I have been cyber-stalking SM for a while (no, not really) and think he's amazing, but Lindsay is so new! So fresh! Probably saying yes more frequently! Can anyone share additional info?
brittanimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #317
reenkam
aka cupcake

reenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanimae View Post
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with subbing directly to Lindsay Davis, formerly Steven Malk's west coast assistant who is now accepting queries directly. I have been cyber-stalking SM for a while (no, not really) and think he's amazing, but Lindsay is so new! So fresh! Probably saying yes more frequently! Can anyone share additional info?
I queried her on 2/28 but haven't heard back yet. It hasn't been too long, though. I'm not sure about her normal response times, but I don't think they're too extensive.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #318
andracill

andracill is on a distinguished road
I queried her on Jan 25, got a request for a full on Feb 10. From what I've read and heard elsewhere, she generally takes about 4-6 weeks, I believe.

She did take on a new client last month, as well (in just a few days -- you know she loved that one!)
andracill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #319
ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
figuring it all out

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy is on a distinguished road
I met Lindsay at a conference last fall. She was very nice and willing to engage. Alas, she rejected the Q I sent to Steve in Dec.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #320
xiaotien

33 day request for 50 pages
and synopsis via SASE from merrilee's
assistant. all materials to be
sent via post again.

visit my website :
paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:40 AM   #321
LoisLane

LoisLane is on a distinguished road
Question Thrilling EQuery Agents at WH

As I live in Europe, smail is not the best way for me to go. So I avoid smail-only agents. I noticed at least one person in this thread has equeried an agent at WH but from everything I've read, it's against the agency's policy.

My question: Are there any thriller/suspense agents at Writer's House who accept/encourage equeries? I looked through AQ and didn't see any in my genre who did.

Thanks, ever so much.

"Once you choose hope, anything is possible." ~~ Superman, Christopher Reeve

CHILD SUPPORT: 82K+: Querying, querying, querying, 2 partials, 1 full and passes like a Superbowl football
WIP: NEWSROOM: OUTLINE
WIP: FINDING MY FUTURE: 1,000 and counting

LoisLane's Metropolis --opinion blog about current events
LoisLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:46 AM   #322
bethany
:)

bethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I know that Dan Lazar and Maya Rock accept equeries. I'd guess that any of the younger/newer agents would. I'm not sure about thrillers since that's not my area. good luck!

The Fall~ Greenwillow ~ 2014- A literary psychological thriller/retelling of the Fall of the House of Usher. Starred reviews from Kirkus and School Library Journal
www.bethanygriffin.com
bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #323
LoisLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany View Post
I know that Dan Lazar and Maya Rock accept equeries. I'd guess that any of the younger/newer agents would. I'm not sure about thrillers since that's not my area. good luck!
Thanks. I'll keep poking around. Maybe I will get lucky.

CHILD SUPPORT: 82K+: Querying, querying, querying, 2 partials, 1 full and passes like a Superbowl football

Old 03-30-2008, 07:05 AM   #324
xiaotien

lois, go to agentquery.com
and type in "writers house".

it'll pull up all the agents and what
they like to read as far as genres. it will
also tell you if they accept equeries.
i know that sherman accepts equeries as well.

good luck!

visit my website :
paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:20 AM   #325
LoisLane

*SMH* I must have missed that one! Thanks a bunch, Xiaotien.

Edit: Just revisited AQ re: Writer's House and it turns out, Daniel Lazar accepts equeries, is open to unsolicited queries and considers thrillers. Not sure how I missed that one, unless it's been updated since I lasted looked which was quite some time ago. I've added him to my list! *claps*

Last edited by LoisLane; 03-30-2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: addition