Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2005, 07:11 AM   #26
WVWriterGirl
Inked Mom

WVWriterGirl is a splendid one to beholdWVWriterGirl is a splendid one to beholdWVWriterGirl is a splendid one to behold
"Dump Soup"

1 large can Veg-All mixed vegetables (DO NOT drain)
1 can corned beef (not the fresh kind in the meat locker, the kind in the "canned meat" aisle)
1 small can tomato paste
1 small can tomato sauce
Various and sundry spices including (but not limited to) oregano, thyme, basil, chili powder, pepper...whatever you like
1 good-sized or 2 small bay leaves

Dump it all in a soup pot, break up the canned corned beef with hands, add 1 veggie canfull of water, heat to simmer and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes or so. Goes great with a pan of cornbread. Refrigerate leftovers...even better the second day.

This one's my husband's favorite quick meal...It's a good, quick and a (semi-) healthy alternative to the "other" stuff my boys insist on eating...pizza, hot dogs, pretty much anything that comes outta a box.

WVWG
Loving Wife and Mommy;
Writer of Fantasy & Horror Novels & Shorts; and a
Person Without a Personal Webpage.
WVWriterGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:22 AM   #27
wurdwise
Banned

wurdwise should run for Presidentwurdwise should run for Presidentwurdwise should run for Presidentwurdwise should run for Presidentwurdwise should run for Presidentwurdwise should run for President
This recipe my husband made for me within the first few weeks of me meeting him.

Brown a few chicken breast, set aside

Saute chopped cilantro; a small bunch,
two or three sliced serrano peppers
and half a chopped onion in olive oil

In a baking dish, cover bottom with sliced tomatoes
Put chicken on top
then cilantro mixture
then another layer of sliced tomatoes
Cover generously with sliced Monterey Jack cheese
Bake @ 350 for 45 min-an hour.

He served it with homemade spanish rice. The dish is to die for, and he is the bomb!
wurdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:46 AM   #28
ritinrider
Benefactor Member

ritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputation
Wurd don'tch love a man that cooks. Even better, when he likes cooking. I just finished eating supper, which my husband cooked for me. ummmm

Nita
ritinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:07 AM   #29
wurdwise
Banned

wurdwise should run for Presidentwurdwise should run for Presidentwurdwise should run for Presidentwurdwise should run for Presidentwurdwise should run for Presidentwurdwise should run for President
Yes, ma am! We are some lucky ladies. .
wurdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:06 AM   #30
reph
Fig of authority

reph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Golden West brand frozen tamales, one per person. Steam them, following directions on wrapper and observing the time. Start basmati brown rice cooking when you start the tamales. Make guacamole and refrigerate. Prepare small bowls of cut-up tomatoes and cut-up cheese. Go away. Come back when tamales are about half done, by the clock. Turn them over. Go away again. Return when they're done. Peel them. Serve everything.
reph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:23 AM   #31
KellyS.

KellyS. has earned our admirationKellyS. has earned our admirationKellyS. has earned our admirationKellyS. has earned our admiration
Chicken Supreme

1 pound chicken breasts (usually cut into chunks)
2 cans cream o'chicken soup
Stuffing Mix
3/4 lb Swiss cheese

Chicken in bottom of pan
Swiss cheese on top of that (Usually get the slices or shredded)
Soup spread over cheese

Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes

Before you are ready to take it out of oven, melt 1/4 cup of butter in a saucepan on stovetop. Once melted stir in stuffing seasoning. Remove from heat and add the stuffing. Stir it until the stuffing is covered with the butter/seasoning mixture. You may need more than 1/4 cup of butter as I do it by sight and can't remember exact measurement.

Remove the chicken/soup/cheese combination (lol) from the oven and cover it with the stuffing mixture. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.

Frozen pizza is also quick.

KellyS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:29 AM   #32
Galoot
I am a pretty pretty flower

Galoot should run for PresidentGaloot should run for PresidentGaloot should run for PresidentGaloot should run for PresidentGaloot should run for PresidentGaloot should run for President
Open can of beans.
Eat over sink with a spoon.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #33
trumancoyote
My Name is Sweet Thing

trumancoyote is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstrumancoyote is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstrumancoyote is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstrumancoyote is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstrumancoyote is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstrumancoyote is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstrumancoyote is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstrumancoyote is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstrumancoyote is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstrumancoyote is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstrumancoyote is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm a big fan of Hot Pockets... but only the ones with those nifty heaty-uppy pouch things that make them all crispy and such.

There is no other way to eat a Hot Pocket.
"I don't understand," Hans Castorp said. "I don't understand how someone can not be a smoker -- why it's like robbing oneself of the best part of life, so to speak, or at least of an absolutely first-rate pleasure."

The Magic Mountain - Thomas Mann (John E. Woods, Trnsl.)
trumancoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:00 PM   #34
ritinrider
Benefactor Member

ritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputation
Galoot
ritinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:19 PM   #35
BlueTexas
Back from self-exile land.

BlueTexas leaves trails of profuse coolnessBlueTexas leaves trails of profuse coolnessBlueTexas leaves trails of profuse coolnessBlueTexas leaves trails of profuse coolnessBlueTexas leaves trails of profuse coolness
Heat a frozen breaded chicken breast in the microwave. Open bag of prepared salad mix. Cut chicken into chunks and mix with the salad in a bowl. Add dressing. Later, be sure to wipe spilled blobs of salad dressing off ms before sending!
BlueTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:08 AM   #36
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Get a wife who cooks.
Repeat if wife dies.

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between • A Bunch of Stories
(2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews
maestrowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:25 PM   #37
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrowork
Get a wife who cooks.
Repeat if wife dies.
Shoot, we're doing it all backward, as usual. I'm both the cook and the writer! All he does is pay for most of the stuff we need to live...

Maryn
Maryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #38
SRHowen
Erotica is not a four letter word!

SRHowen has a double-platinum reputationSRHowen has a double-platinum reputationSRHowen has a double-platinum reputationSRHowen has a double-platinum reputationSRHowen has a double-platinum reputationSRHowen has a double-platinum reputationSRHowen has a double-platinum reputation
Get a husband who cooks
Repeat if husband dies
SRHowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:49 PM   #39
sgtsdaughter
Nearing the end of an era

sgtsdaughter has earned our admirationsgtsdaughter has earned our admirationsgtsdaughter has earned our admirationsgtsdaughter has earned our admiration
Even lazier . . .

Repeatedly make bets with partner (those that you know you will win). He/she had to cook upon loosing. Works like a charm, every time.

And we already know that I can't spell. Stop your snickering now.
sgtsdaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:20 AM   #40
KellyS.

KellyS. has earned our admirationKellyS. has earned our admirationKellyS. has earned our admirationKellyS. has earned our admiration
Quick and extremely sweet dessert.

I found this recipe in the coupon section of my newspaper. Made it last night and pretty much had to fight my two boys off with a stick to keep them from getting more. Sugar rush.

Pineapple Angel Lush

1 pkg (4-serving size) Jello Vanilla flavor instant pudding and pie filling
1 can (20 oz.) Dole Crushed Pineapple in juice, undrained
1 cup thawed Cool Whip whipped topping
1 pkg (10 oz.) prepared round angel food cake
10 small strawberries

MIX dry pudding mix and pineapple with juice in medium bowl. Gently stir in whipped topping.

CUT cake horizontally into 3 layers.

PLACE bottom cake layer, cut side up, on serving plate. Spread 1-1/3 cups of the pudding mixture onto cake layer; cover with middle cake layer. Spread 1 cup of the pudding mixture onto middle cake layer; top with remaining cake layer. Spread with remaining pudding mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve. Store in refrigerator.
Makes 10 servings

Old 04-03-2005, 01:47 AM   #41
Galoot
I am a pretty pretty flower

Galoot should run for PresidentGaloot should run for PresidentGaloot should run for PresidentGaloot should run for PresidentGaloot should run for PresidentGaloot should run for President
Own cats. Accept their gifts.

We have six cats and we eat like kings, I tell you. Robin, mole, bat, rat, earthworm... no shortage of side dishes here.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:23 AM   #42
KellyS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galoot
Own cats. Accept their gifts.

We have six cats and we eat like kings, I tell you. Robin, mole, bat, rat, earthworm... no shortage of side dishes here.

That's just wrong in so many ways.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:22 AM   #43
allion
Character assassin

allion has earned our admirationallion has earned our admirationallion has earned our admirationallion has earned our admiration
Here's one that is quick to get together and toss in the oven:

http://www.campbellkitchen.com/recip...s&rec_id=24702

You can switch out the soup flavour to other types for a change of pace.

And having a hubby who cooks is also a plus

Karen

Daily word count - 1621(as of 1/21)
WIP progress - 89071
allion is offline   Reply With Quote