Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Historical Writing
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
james1611
practical experience, FTW

james1611 is on a distinguished road
Question What is the name of this royal court person?

Hey guys,

does anyone know the official title of a person who announces people in a royal court?

thanks a bunch,
James
james1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
DeleyanLee
Writing Anarchist

DeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Herald, IIRC.

Flamechild, the first anthology in the Children of the Vortex series, is now available here.
Stonechild is a free intro story to the Children of the Vortex series, now available here
DeleyanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
james1611

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeleyanLee View Post
Herald, IIRC.

well, when I looked "Herald" up on wikipedia it said they were masters of coats of arms, not royal announcers...is that wrong?

James
Old 03-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
DeleyanLee
Writing Anarchist

DeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
They did that (which is why coats of arms stuff is called 'heraldry'), but my vague memory is that they were also the ones who did the official announce. Stands to logic if they're the ones who know the coats of arms.

But I could be wrong, which is why I added the IIRC.

Flamechild, the first anthology in the Children of the Vortex series, is now available here.
Stonechild is a free intro story to the Children of the Vortex series, now available here
Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
james1611

don't you hate it when you just need a minor detail and can't find it?

Anyone else know the answer or think it's not a "Herald?"

I want to go with it, but would like to be sure
(it's really only one sentence~)
James
Old 03-31-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Keyan
ubiquitous

Keyan has earned our admirationKeyan has earned our admirationKeyan has earned our admirationKeyan has earned our admiration
I'd go with herald.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/herald
Keyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
girlyswot

girlyswot should run for Presidentgirlyswot should run for Presidentgirlyswot should run for Presidentgirlyswot should run for Presidentgirlyswot should run for Presidentgirlyswot should run for President
You could try asking in the experts forum. I'm not sure this is really a 'basic writing' question.

My books
My FB page
My website
girlyswot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
WriteKnight
Arranger Of Disorder

WriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admiration
Depending on the county, and time setting, it would/could be Herald but I think you're looking for the title of "Lord Chamberlain"... especially as you get towards the renaissance and 18th Century settings.
WriteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by james1611 View Post
well, when I looked "Herald" up on wikipedia it said they were masters of coats of arms, not royal announcers...is that wrong?
No; "herald" refers to both "the person who figures out coats of arms" and "the person who makes announcements in a royal court".

And you didn't read the Wikipedia article very carefully, because it even says that "In the United Kingdom heralds are still called upon at times to read proclamations publicly."

The Wikipedia article is focused on "herald" as a job title of today, not as an historic occupation. In today's royal courts, the person who announces the guests at big events does so over a public-address system, and they're a professional announcer (usually a voice-over artist or radio personality) who does it behind the scenes at the direction of the event planners; in the royal courts of the past, heralds were people with loud voices and a good sense of court protocols.
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
BlueLucario
Blood Elves FTW

BlueLucario has earned our admirationBlueLucario has earned our admirationBlueLucario has earned our admirationBlueLucario has earned our admiration
I think it's your honor
Old 03-31-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
ReneC
Relapsed insomniac :(

ReneC has a spectacular auraReneC has a spectacular aura
The Lord Stewart announces guests to royalty during ceremonies and State banquets. Not sure about the day-to-day, but when officially greeting a group of guests the guests are usually present before the Royals enter.
ReneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:16 PM   #12
Sarpedon
Banned

Sarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputation
I agree with 'herald.'

However, it might also be a 'master of ceremonies.'

The functions of various types of servants has changed over time. Originally a butler's function was solely to control the distribution of wine (bottler). Later, the butler became head servant, and as such was responsible for greeting guests, but still is in special control of the wine cellar.

'herald' as a verb, means to go in front of something or someone to announce it. That is the original function of the 'herald.'
Sarpedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:25 PM   #13
sissybaby

sissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthood
Trust them, it's herald.
sissybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 PM   #14
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneC View Post
The Lord Stewart announces guests to royalty during ceremonies and State banquets.
Do you mean the Lord Steward? That's an extremely high office, and he's responsible for the overall management of the royal households--the comptrollers and treasurers of the households report to him, etc. My guess is that he probably delegates announcements, etc., to members of his staff for all but the most formal occasions.
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #15
DeleyanLee
Writing Anarchist

Whoa--look! I was right after all. My mind is still trivial after all!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:46 AM   #16
pdr
Banned

pdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You can use...

major-domo 1589, via It. maggiordomo or Sp. mayordomo, from M.L. major domus "chief of the household," also "mayor of the palace" under the Merovingians, from L. major "greater" + gen. of domus "house" (see domestic). a man in charge of a great household, as that of a sovereign; a chief steward.

the steward or major-domo of a medieval great house.

He used to stand at the doorway to the ball room or great hall or where ever with a carved stick which he thumped on the ground and then called out the names of the people entering.
pdr is offline   Reply With Quote