PublishAmerica backer

usay

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
Just want you to know that I have my first children's book published through PublishAmerica. I cannot agree with the negative things written about them. If anyone is interested, Neddy the Nutty Acorn is my book, which you will be hearing alot of soon.
Go to their web site and check my book out. I can now say I Am A Published Author.
USAY

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Where will I be hearing a lot about your book?

I'm asking because I really want to know, and to stimulate discussion. Nothing nefarious in the question or the asking. I want a completely honest answer, please.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations.

Your 36 page book is selling for $19.95 on PA's web site, $17.95 on BarnesandNoble.com, and $19.95 on Amazon.com.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (312 pages) is selling for $8.99 at BarnesandNoble.com.

Beatrix Potter's Tale of Peter Rabbit, one of the most delightful children's stories ever written, with incredible illustrations (70 pages, hardcover) is selling for $6.99 on Barnesandnoble.com.

The genre of children's literature has some pretty high standards for success.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
That I will attest to. Children's lit is one of the toughest parts of the business, and there are a million picture books out there, vying for attention. It's also hard to make a living at, since most picture book writers only get half of the 10% royalty, splitting it with the illustrator.

Overall, you can't compare novels with picture books, because PB's are so much more expensive to produce.

However, Jane Yolen's "How do Dinosaurs Go to School", at 40 pages, is $16.99 regular price in hardcover.

Yours is 4 pages shorter, in paperback, and costs $3 more.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Hi,
Just want you to know that I have my first children's book published through PublishAmerica. I cannot agree with the negative things written about them.

You're certainly free to agree or disagree. I've found, though, that many of the negative things are backed up by evidence.

Go to their web site and check my book out. I can now say I Am A Published Author.

The book came out in February 2008, which probably means you haven't collected your first royalty check yet. I hope you will still be satisfied with your PA experience when you do.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And if I - or anyone else - sent our manuscripts to PA we could all say I Am A Published Author, too.

But I don't intend to, because I see no reason why I should be principally dependant upon friends and family for sales, nor why I should buy my own books for re-sale. I would also prefer my publisher to market my book and make it available to as many folk as possible by having it displayed for sale on chain bookstore shelves and at a reasonable price.

That said, I do wish you well with your sales, and also with any further tales you may choose to publish, but for a serious fiction writer there are far better routes to go than Publish America.

Hi,
Just want you to know that I have my first children's book published through PublishAmerica. I cannot agree with the negative things written about them. If anyone is interested, Neddy the Nutty Acorn is my book, which you will be hearing alot of soon.
USAY

usay

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. Yes, I do have my work cut out for me in making my book known but I believe that word of mouth will make or break it
In answer to the question of where will you hear about it, a friend of mine is taking my book to New York this summer. She may or may not be able to talk to the right people but regardless, I am having fun at the beginning of this journey.
I have no control over the cost of the book. But I do know that there is not another quite like mine and the subject.
Thanks again,
Happy writing!!!
Usay

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Hi usay!

I looked at your profile, and you don't have any. But I didn't realize you've been here at AW since October. If I didn't welcome you then, I'm welcoming you now.

One word of advice (and keep this in mind when Publish America asks you to buy your books at the discounted rate for you to sell): Money flows toward the author, not away. Even very small publishers will send your books to bookstores without payment upfront.

Stick around! As you know, there's a great novel writing forum, and writing for children. Doesn't matter if you're published or not, or whom you're published by. They're great forums to lurk and post in. (I really like Learn to Write with Uncle Jim.)

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
In answer to the question of where will you hear about it, a friend of mine is taking my book to New York this summer. She may or may not be able to talk to the right people but regardless, I am having fun at the beginning of this journey.

Who would the right people be? Is she planning on talking to other publishers? Retail bookstore chains? Agents?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Who would the right people be? Is she planning on talking to other publishers? Retail bookstore chains? Agents?
And why wouldn't PA themselves already be the "Right People?" Don't other publishers as a matter of course have their new books put into bookstores?

And are the parts where the book says "PublishAmerica" blotted out? That could only help, with the reputation PublishAmerica has in the marketplace.

I've not had any personal experience with PublishAmerica, but I've sure read a lot about it in the year+ I've been on AW (and I've even dipped into the PA Message Board), and I'm wondering why you would go with a publisher that has such a conspiracy* against it among bookstores and libraries (I've browsed through and bought a lot of books and have yet to actually see a book published by PA that I can remember, though others tell me they have). I wish you the best with your book (seriously, virtually/lliterally everyone here on AW does, we're a really supportive community in that way), but with PA as your publisher aren't you fighting an uphill battle?

* Okay, maybe it's not really a consipiracy against PA, but due to their business practices it might as well be, right?:)

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations.

Check out the other forums here: Learn Writing with Uncle Jim is popular with both established and new writers, and there is a forum dedicated to writing books for children.

Enjoy.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
And if there was a real conspiracy against PublishAmerica as some have claimed, don't you think they would have taken it to court by now and received millions of dollars in compensation from the alleged "evildoers"?

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. Yes, I do have my work cut out for me in making my book known but I believe that word of mouth will make or break it
I have no control over the cost of the book. But I do know that there is not another quite like mine and the subject.
Thanks again,
Happy writing!!!
Usay

Sounds like your friend is heading for quite an adventure.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, plenty of people on AW have had experience with PA. I'm sure they'll be available for any questions/concerns/complaints that might arise.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
But that would cost me money. This way, it hasn't.
Not yet, it hasn't. (Well, except for registering the copyright.)

But it will.

Remember that when you buy your OWN books from PA and then try to sell them wherever you try to sell them, it will cost you money.
That's what PA is very, very careful not to reveal to you.

Keep a careful record of your puchases and your sales, and then ask yourself if you "paid to be published."

And then ask yourself, "Why am I trying to sell my own books?
Isn't that the job of my publisher?"

Please let us know how you do.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com

Real publishers pay you, not the other way around. PA keeps comparing itself against vanity publishers, so they're doing a bait and switch when they do that. If they're going to compare themselves to anything, they should compare themselves to publishers like them. Oh...excuse me, they are already since PA is also a vanity publisher. Just that the payout to PA is hidden on the backside.

To repeat, real publishers do not charge you.

By the way, if you're not paying anything to PA, you might want to also look at how much you're making with PA. Even the worst books published with real commercial publishers make more for the author than the best book with PA.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
For tax purposes keep an accurate-to-the-penny record of all costs associated with your book.

This includes all copies you buy yourself and how much you make should you resell them.

Make sure you keep track of all sales--if any--that PA makes through its (limited) venues and cross check them against the numbers on your royalty statements. PA has a poor reputation when it comes to accounting.

As has been said, not yet it hasn't.

PA's costs just aren't up front. As I'm sure you'll have read many times in the PA threads here they make their money off writers buying their own books.

For what you're doing, Lulu.com would have been much, MUCH better!

And no, sadly, you are not yet in the published authors' club. We'd love to have you in, though!

You're technically "published", but anything placed with PA is not considered to be a professional credit in the wide world outside of PA's website.

Pro writers get paid upfront for their work. They get paid a LOT more than a dollar.

I hope you will take the high you're presently on and write another children's book--but place it with a real publishing house that will write you a nice multi-figure advance check! (Or at least with Lulu!)

As for your friend--he or she will have a better time of things by NOT mentioning PA in any business conversation.

It's an instant tip-off that there's been a rip-off.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
<snip!>
As for your friend--he or she will have a better time of things by NOT mentioning PA in any business conversation.
<snip!>
Unless they're bringing along a copy of the book itself. If the people they're talking to see it's a PA book, the conversation will end right there. With PA's reputation in publishing circles, it's not considered a legitimate publishing credit and won't have a chance.