Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
MonaLeigh
Wasting time

MonaLeigh has a spectacular aura
What's the cut-off age for being a cop?

I have a woman who wants to become a cop later in life. Is there a cut-off age for joining the police force?
MonaLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
WriteKnight
Arranger Of Disorder

WriteKnight leaves trails of profuse coolnessWriteKnight leaves trails of profuse coolnessWriteKnight leaves trails of profuse coolnessWriteKnight leaves trails of profuse coolnessWriteKnight leaves trails of profuse coolness
That would pretty much depend on the juristiction. Whats the location? What's her back-story?
WriteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
Little Red Barn
haz own threads

Little Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Don't think there is a cut-off age, (but check with your local dept) as much as being able to pass state certification, the criteria for being a police officer which requires passing numerous physical agility tests. However, Federal law enforcement agencies, such FBI have stricter requirements than state; they require you to be under 35 and you must retire at age 55.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
Horseshoes
still thinking up something good to put here

Horseshoes is a shiny, shiny jewelHorseshoes is a shiny, shiny jewel
How late? Thirties? Forties? sure. Fifties, sixties, eh...getting tough.
Horseshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
MonaLeigh
Wasting time

Thanks. I'm in the beginning stages of this. I was thinking she'd be in her early 30's and needs a major career/life change.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #6
FinbarReilly
practical experience, FTW

FinbarReilly is well-respected
For being a police offer, the limit is definitely going to be the local jurisdiction, and is going to be dictated by how crime the location has; in general, the more crime, the more likely you are looking at a younger limit (such as 30-35) as faster reflexes is more necessary than wisdom (it's a life or death thing). However, in more peaceful situations, the age limit is likely to be older or non-existent, as the ability to make interesting decisions is more important, as the cop is more likely to act as arbiter than arrester.

If it helps...
FR

Sex Percussions: The Webcomic
My How to Write Blog
For Your Design Needs!
FinbarReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
Gary
practical experience, FTW

Gary is a glorious beacon of lightGary is a glorious beacon of light
My son-in-law became a full time cop in his early forties. I don't recall all the details, but I seem to recall that his city civil service requirement was that he must complete 20 years of service by the time he reached the mandatory retirement age. I think that was age 62, but he had a few years as a reserve officer that allowed him to fall within the rules.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
rugcat
Lost in the Fog

rugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustySterling View Post
Thanks. I'm in the beginning stages of this. I was thinking she'd be in her early 30's and needs a major career/life change.
Early thirties would be acceptable just about anywhere.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
HeronW
Down Under Fan

HeronW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHeronW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHeronW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHeronW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHeronW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHeronW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHeronW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHeronW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHeronW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHeronW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHeronW is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've read 35 as the oldest acceptable age.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It was 35 for me, but that was Federal.

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
Appalachian Writer
Somewhere in the hills....

Appalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Zelda Fitzgerald decided (albeit a poor decision) to become a ballet dancer at 32. I would think that the rigorous physical requirements, just as in dance, would be difficult for a man over 35. Of course, once you become a police officer, you might be able to stay on the force until they hauled you away to the home.

http://wkeverhart.blogspot.com
http://raphaelsvillage.com/
working revisions:
book 1...now at 97,702 complete! finished.
book 2...now at 40,551
Appalachian Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
MonaLeigh
Wasting time

Thanks for the answers! I think I'll make her 30.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #13
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmi View Post
FBI have stricter requirements than state; they require you to be under 35 and you must retire at age 55.
Just a nitpick: FBI lists their mandatory retirement age as 57, although that can be waived.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 PM   #14
WriteKnight
Arranger Of Disorder

WriteKnight leaves trails of profuse coolnessWriteKnight leaves trails of profuse coolnessWriteKnight leaves trails of profuse coolnessWriteKnight leaves trails of profuse coolnessWriteKnight leaves trails of profuse coolness
Thirty is probably a safe bet, especially if it's a smallish fictional town. My brother in law became a cop at thirty one, in a small coastal town in Texas.

If it's a REAL city/town you're setting it in, the safest bet would be to call the police department and check! (But you knew that.)
WriteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #15
rugcat
Lost in the Fog

rugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
San Francisco PD has no maximum age limit. I think I read last year about someone 55 or 57 who was hired. (Unusual enough to get in the news, of course.)
Old 03-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #16
The Grift
Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb

The Grift is a shiny, shiny jewelThe Grift is a shiny, shiny jewel
As I understand, most state and local departments do not have strict age limits. Late 20's early 30's is actually the average age of new cops. Many enlisted military people put in a full 20 in the military and then move to a civilian police job, which means they're joining police forces in their late 30's and early 40's. I have read about new cops all the way up to their early 50's, but you better be in great shape. Do some searches of police message boards and you will see this question asked and answered often.

The average age of a NAT (New Agent Trainee) at the FBI academy is 30. You must be hired by 37, so you can put in a full 20 years before mandatory retirement at 57. The 37 year old limit is virtually never waived, although if you are in another federal law enforcement position covered by what is called "6(c)" retirement, you can transfer over.
The Grift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #17
Redhedd
Demon Wrangler

Redhedd is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I was in my mid-thirties when I became a cop, and I worked with another woman who started when she was 43.
Redhedd is offline   Reply With Quote