Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Potluck
practical experience, FTW

Potluck is on a distinguished road
five feet two inches or 5' 2" or...

Hi,

Coming from a nerd background we are typically are very lazy about how we write measurements in application notes. We will write 5 ft. 2 inch. for a measurement. What is correct for fiction Lit, five feet two inches, 5 feet 2 inches or 5' 2" when describing how tall a person is?
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I was taught that numbers which can be written in one or two words are spelled out within text. I'd write He was shorter than the other cops, no more than five foot ten. But I would not write She was exactly five foot three and three-quarters.

Of course, each publisher has its own conventions and might change it to meet their norm. As long as their check clears, I'd be good with that.

Maryn, who knows which side her bread's buttered on
Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
dobiwon
learning to appreciate the world

dobiwon has a double-platinum reputationdobiwon has a double-platinum reputationdobiwon has a double-platinum reputationdobiwon has a double-platinum reputationdobiwon has a double-platinum reputationdobiwon has a double-platinum reputationdobiwon has a double-platinum reputation
This is quite a coincidence--I was just about post a very similar question about height. I agree that numbers are to be spelled out, but my question is a little different. I don't think Maryn's response exactly answered mine, but instead made me even more unsure:

Would you say "He was five foot ten." or "He was five feet ten."? I've heard it said both ways. I always thought "five foot ten", but when I heard a news announcer identify a crime suspect as "five feet ten", it didn't sound wrong; as a matter of fact, it sounded more reasonable.

Walk With Purpose- Poems (mostly) and essays by Don Magin
dobiwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
ReneC
Relapsed insomniac :(

ReneC has a spectacular auraReneC has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiwon View Post
Would you say "He was five foot ten." or "He was five feet ten."? I've heard it said both ways. I always thought "five foot ten", but when I heard a news announcer identify a crime suspect as "five feet ten", it didn't sound wrong; as a matter of fact, it sounded more reasonable.
I use "five foot ten" casually, or "five feet ten inches" when writing more formally.
ReneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Lance_in_Shanghai
practical experience, FTW

Lance_in_Shanghai is on a distinguished road
I agree with Maryn and if you want to be specific, five feet two inches is your best choice. The singular spelling of foot for a measurement over one foot is an old form more common in non-RP areas of the U.K. and among those in America who follow a more provincial or folksy method of language acquisition (from family generation after generation rather than from school). Usually it is spoken without the inches, as in "five foot two, eyes of blue". By the way, should you could get published outside the U.S., many don't know that ' and " mean feet and inches.

"Now Leroy, more than trouble
You see, he stand 'bout six foot four"

Last edited by Lance_in_Shanghai; 03-08-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Lance_in_Shanghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
dpaterso
No one of consequence!
SuperModerator

dpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd lean towards less formal when describing human dimensions, "Crazy Johnny was six-two and built like a tank." Or in Brit-speak, "Crazy Johnny was six-two and built like a brick shithouse." Shrug, each to their own.

-Derek
Now available from Eggplant Literary Productions
“Vampyres! All I'd heard about since I'd arrived in this
damned city was vampyres!”

Also on Amazon
dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
Danalynn
NEVER give up!!!!

Danalynn is a shiny, shiny jewelDanalynn is a shiny, shiny jewel
Talking

So would it be better to say:

at over 6 foot

or

at over 6 feet?

Quote:
I'd lean towards less formal when describing human dimensions, "Crazy Johnny was six-two and built like a tank."
Which is better:

Uncle Thomas was six foot two, and my dad was only five foot eleven.

Or would it be better to write:

Uncle Thomas was six-two, and my dad was only five-eleven.

* That's a point well put, and a timely suggestion that we'll bring up at the very
next board meeting a week from Tuesday . . . I don't know why, it's just policy *

Danalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #8
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I was gonna say "short" or "tall enough for my feet to touch the ground" but that probably won't help.

It depends on how formal the writing is. I'd lean toward "five foot two" and not worry about it till the editor gets her hands on it.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote