Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #16351
Peggy Blair
I like my snow hot.

Peggy Blair is a splendid one to beholdPeggy Blair is a splendid one to beholdPeggy Blair is a splendid one to behold
(Filigree, that spezna was super HOT. It was an interesting few days, as you'll discover if you go back over the old threads -- at times, it was hilariously funny. It's why we invented a drink in his honour!)
Peggy Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #16352
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Snappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((Maybe))) Went through the second reads let down last month. Stings.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #16353
washingtonienne
Writing, running or drinking

washingtonienne is on a distinguished road
Hey hellions,

I could use a hug/words of even delusional encouragement. My agent just sent me a batch of three rejections (she stores them up I think). That makes nine on the first cycle and four on this cycle (it's still out with five). Has anyone sold anything after so many R's? Feeling very self pitying today. :-(

On sub: Fear of Ice, literary mystery
WIP: Cities of Windows, historical fiction

Assorted scholarship.

Assorted artwork.
washingtonienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #16354
OL
Still a beach bum...

OL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Maybe, those rejections when the book goes up the food chain...yeah, those really hurt. Because as hard as you try not to get your hopes up, it's hard not to. BUT, as my agent at the time said to me, it also means you're very very close, and the odds are good that someone else will pick it up.

<-----DC -- me. I forget how many I had. It might have been 30. I was on sub for over a year. And FWIW, that book that finally sold?

This just happened today...
Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #16355
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Snappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((washingtonienne))) I fear to even look at the Rs anymore.

ETA: OL!!!! WOOT! WOOT!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #16356
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey, on the bright side your agent hasn't dumped you. They still believe in your work.

So... there's that.
Drachen Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #16357
Calla Lily
On deadline for the next year or so
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
OL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What awesome exposure!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #16358
maybegenius
might be a giant

maybegenius is a glorious beacon of lightmaybegenius is a glorious beacon of lightmaybegenius is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the cheering up, everyone

washingtonienne, oh yes, I've heard of many authors receiving many rejections on a book before it went on to sell. Keep truckin'!

OL, that's awesome, congrats!

My Blog | My Twitter | My Tumblr
maybegenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #16359
MrsBrommers
practical experience, FTW

MrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admiration
((washington)) It's hard when the rejections come, but you asked if anyone had sold after a number of passes. Yes. It happens. One of my friends sold after being on sub with one book for 15 months. It took a lot of perseverance for her and her agent, but it did get picked up and is doing pretty well. So it does happen.

I had a good talk with my agent today. We talked about my upcoming projects, and she is super excited about my little gremlins.
Magical realism (off with awesome agent)

http://www.sarah-bromley.com
http://www.twitter.com/Sarah_Bromley
http://www.facebook.com/authorsarahbromley
MrsBrommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #16360
Peggy Blair
I like my snow hot.

Peggy Blair is a splendid one to beholdPeggy Blair is a splendid one to beholdPeggy Blair is a splendid one to behold
Holy crap, OL! That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone give this girl dancing bananas, will ya?
Peggy Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #16361
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Blair View Post

At your command, my dear.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #16362
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

missesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by washingtonienne View Post
Hey hellions,

I could use a hug/words of even delusional encouragement. My agent just sent me a batch of three rejections (she stores them up I think). That makes nine on the first cycle and four on this cycle (it's still out with five). Has anyone sold anything after so many R's? Feeling very self pitying today. :-(

Oh they pile up all right. But there are tons of pubs out there. You'll find one perfect for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL View Post
Maybe, those rejections when the book goes up the food chain...yeah, those really hurt. Because as hard as you try not to get your hopes up, it's hard not to. BUT, as my agent at the time said to me, it also means you're very very close, and the odds are good that someone else will pick it up.

<-----DC -- me. I forget how many I had. It might have been 30. I was on sub for over a year. And FWIW, that book that finally sold?

This just happened today...
Oh geez, if this doesn't motivate, I don't know what will! Congrats. That is the coolest thing!

ETA: oh right, I came here to complain about the line editing I'm doing right now. I think I go back out on sub next week. I mean...if I ever finish this.

Last edited by missesdash; 04-20-2012 at 02:41 AM.
missesdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:36 AM   #16363
Noompsy
Ow

Noompsy has a spectacular auraNoompsy has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Blair View Post

What she said, exactly!!!!!!!
Noompsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #16364
OL
Still a beach bum...

OL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Aww, thanks, guys! It's been a very weird time in my life, and the virtual hugs make it so much better!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #16365
soopykun

soopykun is on a distinguished road
OL, that is freaking amazing!! You must have had chills just seeing that! Major congrats!!
Goodreads
DUALED (Feb 2013), DIVIDED (DUALED, #2 Feb 2014), Random House
soopykun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #16366
OL
Still a beach bum...

To be honest? It was just kind of an, "Oh. Cool." moment. It's not that I'm jaded, it's not that at all. But a lot of the times for me, the bigger stuff doesn't really create the emotional response. Also, I was sort not surprised because of how many eBooks I sold with the K1ndle and N00k deal.

The times where it hits me are unpredictable and not always the things you'd expect. I will always remember after my first real book event (I'd done one prior in LA but everyone who showed up was a friend) and I went to Houston for an event at Murder by the B00k there with two other well-known authors. the owners took us all out to dinner after. That was one of those, "wow. These are my peers now. I'm part of this world," moments.

There've been others, too, and times when I've had this odd feeling of acceleration, like, wow, things are happening, this is really happening, I might actually have a future at this. But those moments aren't always the things I would expect them to be.

Plus, I am dealing with a lot of personal stuff which, I won't say it sucks the joy out of the accomplishments, because it doesn't. It's more like emotional whiplash. "Wow, this is really great! Yikes, this really sucks!"

And also, I am working on my third book for publication. There's a lot of stuff that goes along with being an "author." It really is a job. A job I really like. And a job that by its nature can be pretty emotionally taxing at times.

I'm just trying to do my work and stay sane. Figure out how to sustain myself and oh yeah, to pay my bills.

It's pretty interesting and most of the time, incredibly rewarding.

Forgive the ramble. I have like five more pages to write to knock off a draft of Book #3. I guess I'm procrastinating!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #16367
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

missesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sigh. Still in my editing cave. Feeling anxious because my agents cuts are going to drop my word count below 50k and possibly as low as 45k. She told me not to edit with word count in mind but that makes me so nervous!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #16368
Fuchsia Groan
Becoming a laptop-human hybrid

Fuchsia Groan is a glorious beacon of lightFuchsia Groan is a glorious beacon of lightFuchsia Groan is a glorious beacon of light
That's great news, OL! Well, about the sales. I know how hard it is to finish a draft.

Washingtonienne, hang in there. I've been out there three months now, gotten three rejections and no second reads. I'm glad my agent submitted in small batches (I think we're up to eight total), but I'm feeling urges to snatch my ms. back and revise it. I've been working on it on and off for seven years, so I feel really strongly about not trunking it, even if that means (more) radical rewriting.

I have an IRL friend whose agent has tried all the possible larger imprints for her memoir and is suggesting she self-publish it. I hope I don't get there. But if I do, I'll take whatever options I've got.
Fuchsia Groan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #16369
dgrintalis
'Tis true, she is a monstergirl

dgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
OL, that is awesome!

And a to everyone feeling a bit down or frustrated or what have you.

INK on Goodreads
INK on Amazon

A tattoo can be a work of art…or a curse.

Out now in trade paperback and ebook from Samhain Horror.

Coming in Spring 2014: An as yet untitled collection of short fiction from Apex Publications.
dgrintalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #16370
OL
Still a beach bum...

OMG, FG, I am totally a laptop-human hybrid!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #16371
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

@FG If you self publish while you have an agent, they don't get paid, right?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:27 AM   #16372
Fuchsia Groan
Becoming a laptop-human hybrid

Fuchsia Groan is a glorious beacon of lightFuchsia Groan is a glorious beacon of lightFuchsia Groan is a glorious beacon of light
OL, I'm in the process of merging with my iPad now!

Misses, that's a good question — there's someone on AW who is doing it and is paying her agent the usual commission, I think. (She has a thread in the Self Pub forum somewhere.) Because the agent gave her edits and review contacts and maybe paid for design elements (not sure about that), it sounds like she's earning the commission. But I have no idea how often that happens. I should ask my friend whether her agent expects a cut...
Fuchsia Groan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #16373
tracythewriter

tracythewriter is a glorious beacon of lighttracythewriter is a glorious beacon of lighttracythewriter is a glorious beacon of light
Hugs to everyone who needs them today. Hope y'all have a great weekend!

Moon Child, available now!
Goodreads
Amazon

web: www.tracyebanghart.com
twitter: @tracythewriter
tracythewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #16374
maybegenius
might be a giant

maybegenius is a glorious beacon of lightmaybegenius is a glorious beacon of lightmaybegenius is a glorious beacon of light
Got to meet one of my literary icons tonight (Christopher Moore). He wished me good luck on my book. I took it gladly.

Well wishes and stiff drinks to anyone who needs them after this week!

My Blog | My Twitter | My Tumblr
maybegenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #16375
st22

st22 is on a distinguished road
Hi all,
Trying not to be mopey but feeling...mopey. Do some publishers just not respond? Is there a no response = no at this level, too??? I would welcome a rejection at this point. Out on sub for almost 4 months now. 12 editors, 3 rejections, 1 interest but haven't heard back and the rest NADA.
st22 is offline   Reply With Quote