Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #10351
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Plum View Post
My agent seems to think now is a good time to go on sub, to take advantage of "holiday break reading." She says she wants to go out before Thanksgiving. (I say she's about to miss another of her self-imposed deadlines.)
This is exactly what happened to me. She kinda, sorta pressed me into chucking the YA fantasy out there amongst the masses, whilst I have the thriller out there. I have received contracts from small press and agents before at this time of year. The editorial biggies? Not so sure about that. It's got me feeling a little numb right now. Although she has a number of my books to choose from, the thriller and the YA fantasy were the two big guns, IMO.

I'm just hoping that by Feb or March of next year, I won't be mourning the death of both of them. As Napolean Dynamite says, "Gosh!"

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #10352
RhiannonFrater
practical experience, FTW

RhiannonFrater is on a distinguished road
Talking

My agent already warned me that we will probably not hear back on my submission until after Thanksgiving. I'm surprisingly calm this time around, but maybe that is because the editor at Tor liked my first series enough to make it the editor's pick. Of course, she could loathe my new work. Hehehehe...
"This outstanding first effort, the first book in a trilogy, will appeal greatly to zombie fans, but the undead are merely the catalyst for a far more disquieting tale of societal collapse." -- *Publishers Weekly (Starred Review)
RhiannonFrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #10353
rosiecotton
Lover of Tea

rosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mr. A's emailed. We've got a bite!!!!!!!!

(Breathe. Breathe. Long way to go)
rosiecotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #10354
MadDabbler
Clearly confused and adrift

MadDabbler has a spectacular auraMadDabbler has a spectacular aura
HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY! For Rosie!!!! Here's your oxygen mask and defib. kit to get you through. I will cross my crossables for you.

Visit my Blog
And my website to view my available and upcoming works!
MadDabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #10355
rosiecotton
Lover of Tea

rosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks, Mad!!! I can't feel my feet!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:08 AM   #10356
Cloud Eight

Cloud Eight is a shiny, shiny jewelCloud Eight is a shiny, shiny jewel
Rosie, wow! Looks like you might be the next one picked
Cloud Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 AM   #10357
JamieB

JamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good Luck!!

www.jamiemblair.com
Twitter @JamieMBlair

Writing as USA Today Bestselling Author Kelli Maine
The Give & Take Series - Grand Central Forever
www.kellimaine.blogspot.com
Twitter @KelliMaine
JamieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #10358
Sweet Tea
Gone to pee - don't touch my glass!

Sweet Tea has earned our admirationSweet Tea has earned our admirationSweet Tea has earned our admirationSweet Tea has earned our admiration
Crossing all my cross-ables for ya, Rosie!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 AM   #10359
RhiannonFrater

Go, Rosie!

Got my fingers crossed, saying a prayer, and hoping like mad.
"This outstanding first effort, the first book in a trilogy, will appeal greatly to zombie fans, but the undead are merely the catalyst for a far more disquieting tale of societal collapse." -- *Publishers Weekly (Starred Review)
Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #10360
rosiecotton
Lover of Tea

Thanks, everyone!!!!!! Long way to go with lots that can go wrong, but OMG, I think I might puke!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #10361
kellion92
A cat may not look at a king

kellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Fingers crossed, Rosie!!!!
kellion92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 AM   #10362
coloradogirl
The poster formerly known as...

coloradogirl is on a distinguished road
Checking in again after a break for attending World Fantasy followed by a vacation to visit family in Australia...my username's different (went back to my old AW account), but I'm the poster formerly known as (see avatar pic!).

At long (loooong!) last my agent gave the go-ahead to publicly announce my good news! My debut epic fantasy novel The Whitef1re Cr0ssing sold along with a sequel to N1ght Sh@de Books; first book to be released Fall 2011 and the sequel a year later.

Oh, and another big thanks to those of you who helped me out with titles! I get to keep Whitefire for the 1st book and The Ta1nted C1ty for book 2; series title will be The Sh@ttered S1gil.

Shari - HUGE CONGRATS!!!!

Rosie - Fingers crossed your bite turns into a deal!
coloradogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #10363
rosiecotton
Lover of Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradogirl View Post
At long (loooong!) last my agent gave the go-ahead to publicly announce my good news! My debut epic fantasy novel The Whitef1re Cr0ssing sold along with a sequel to N1ght Sh@de Books; first book to be released Fall 2011 and the sequel a year later.
OMG!!!!! Bl.... Coloradogirl!!!!!! That awesome. And The Whitef1re Cr0ssing! That was my fave!!!! YAY!!!!!!!! Can't wait to read it!!!

Holy crap, I think I'm gonna explode this afternoon!!!!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:22 AM   #10364
kellion92
A cat may not look at a king

kellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congratulations, Coloradogirl!!! Two book deal! Woohoo!
kellion92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:30 AM   #10365
madderblue
Beagle Lips.

madderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admiration
I'm loving all this great news. Congratulations Coloradogirl, Rosiecotton and YAwriter! I think that long stretch of frozen publishers is officially over. Just think what you guys can write in your Christmas cards this year...BOOK DEAL!

A Robe of Feathers and Other Stories

Charles de Lint says: "A Robe of Feathers is a truly unique collection that suits no easy categorization except that of excellence."

The Kappa's Fart: Kappa no He
madderblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:37 AM   #10366
Peggy Blair
I like my snow hot.

Peggy Blair is a splendid one to beholdPeggy Blair is a splendid one to beholdPeggy Blair is a splendid one to behold
Hell appears to be freezing over! Congratulations on that great news!
Peggy Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #10367
Blondchen
Honey Badger don't give a shit.

Blondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Holy crap you guys! What an AWESOME DAY IN HELL!!!!!

POSSESS (Balzer + Bray, on sale now)
TEN (Balzer + Bray, on sale now)
3:59 (Balzer + Bray, September 17, 2013)
GET EVEN (Don't Get Mad, Book 1, Balzer + Bray, Fall 2014)
GET DIRTY (Don't Get Mad, Book 2, Balzer + Bray, Fall 2015)

Website ~ Blog ~ Twitter ~ Goodreads
Blondchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #10368
Cloud Eight

Cloud Eight is a shiny, shiny jewelCloud Eight is a shiny, shiny jewel
Every time I check back in, somebody's got new good news. Congrats Coloradogirl!

Guess I should check in more often
Cloud Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:01 AM   #10369
RhiannonFrater

Awesome news, Coloradogirl!
Old 11-16-2010, 02:01 AM   #10370
tracythewriter

tracythewriter is a glorious beacon of lighttracythewriter is a glorious beacon of lighttracythewriter is a glorious beacon of light
Yay for all the good news! Congrats everybody!! Nice to see things moving again. :-)

Moon Child, available now!
Goodreads
Amazon

web: www.tracyebanghart.com
twitter: @tracythewriter
tracythewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:47 AM   #10371
Roly
silly puppy monster

Roly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*sprinkles congrats dust on EVERYONE*

CONGRATS FOR GETTING DEALS

CONGRATS FOR AWESOME AGENT NEWS

CONGRATS FOR ALMOST GETTING THERE - YOU'RE ALMOST THERE

CONGRATS FOR WORKING ON THE WIP

CONGRATS FOR NOT GIVING UP!!

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
*Now available.*
Add on: Goodreads
Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

D.S. (YA Fantasy): *with agent, awaiting the go ahead to catch the sub-go-round.*

My twitter is real.
Roly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:37 AM   #10372
Sweet Tea
Gone to pee - don't touch my glass!

Sweet Tea has earned our admirationSweet Tea has earned our admirationSweet Tea has earned our admirationSweet Tea has earned our admiration
Congrats, Coloradogirl! Hell needs the good news and we got it today! YAY!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:22 AM   #10373
suki
Opinionated

suki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Goo Luck, Tri!

Excellent news, Rosie - fingers crossed!

Hi coloradogirl - yay for deal news!

~suki

Website ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Goodreads

PERSONAL EFFECTS (Candlewick Press, September 2012). Now available! B&N ~ Amazon ~ IndieBound~
Interested in supporting a great indie bookstore (and ordering an autographed copy of Personal Effects at the same time)? Read more here.
suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #10374
Peggy Blair
I like my snow hot.

Peggy Blair is a splendid one to beholdPeggy Blair is a splendid one to beholdPeggy Blair is a splendid one to behold
Well, tomorrow's my big day to find out what's happening. Agent says there's lots of stuff going on, but she's been away, so I won't find out until tomorrow. On sub to a number of publishers in Canada, UK and elsewhere. Let's hope the thaw in Hell extends all the way to Ontario!
Peggy Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #10375
Roly
silly puppy monster

Roly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Blair View Post
Well, tomorrow's my big day to find out what's happening. Agent says there's lots of stuff going on, but she's been away, so I won't find out until tomorrow. On sub to a number of publishers in Canada, UK and elsewhere. Let's hope the thaw in Hell extends all the way to Ontario!
Yeah good luck sprinkles on Ontarians!

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
*Now available.*
Add on: Goodreads
Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

D.S. (YA Fantasy): *with agent, awaiting the go ahead to catch the sub-go-round.*

My twitter is real.
Roly is offline   Reply With Quote