Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 AM   #176
JulieB
I grow my own catnip

JulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admiration
You'll need a new ISBN, as the ISBN identifies the publisher.
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #177
ronanon
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ronanon is on a distinguished road
chipmunka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB View Post
You'll need a new ISBN, as the ISBN identifies the publisher.
Thank you for clarifying that, Julie.
ronanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #178
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And also the edition--so a paperback and hardback of the same book, from the same publisher, would usually have different ISBNs.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #179
Alicia0099
Drawing the Story

Alicia0099 is on a distinguished road
Okay so I wanted to share my experience with chupmunka and maybe get some advice?

They found my self-published book, The Crazy Inside: A poetic journey through manic depression, on myspace a long time ago. I signed a contract with them. They told me it would be an e-book and then 9 months later it would be published in print. Well, almost three years later I never saw a dime and it never went to paperback printing. I asked to be let out of my contract since they didn't hold up their end. They said that was fine. To this day they are still selling my book on amazon through kindle and I have NEVER seen a dime.

So if you are considering chipmunka, I would most definitely reconsider. Also, does anyone know what I can do about this?
Alicia0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #180
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Have you got it in writing that your rights have now reverted? If so, have you contacted Chipmunka and pointed out that as the rights have now reverted, they shouldn't be selling your book?

Even though your book is for sale, it might not actually be selling any copies, so you might not be owed anything anyway. Do they supply you with royalty statements?

There are lots of problems to sort out here: you should do all you can to resolve this with Chipmunka but if you can't manage that, you will probably have to get a lawyer involved.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #181
Alicia0099
Drawing the Story

I do have it in an email.

Also, when my book was selling on lulu I did very well, I doubt in the five years or so it's been since this started I haven't sold ONE copy. I'm thinking of having my mom, who just bought a kindle, buy one just so I can say I know at least one was purchased.

I do not receive royalty statements.

I have emailed them asking why it's still available and they do not respond.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #182
nkkingston
Bemused Girl

nkkingston is a shiny, shiny jewelnkkingston is a shiny, shiny jewel
If you have evidence the rights have reverted you can file a DMCA with Amazon and they'll take the book down. It's what a lot of the AMP authors are doing right now.

Hungry? Check out my other half's blog Colonel Mustard in the Kitchen.
nkkingston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #183
Alicia0099
Drawing the Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkkingston View Post
If you have evidence the rights have reverted you can file a DMCA with Amazon and they'll take the book down. It's what a lot of the AMP authors are doing right now.
Thank you so much!

My mom bought a copy on her kindle today and it did go through. anger!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #184
Stlight
ideas are floating where they will

Location: where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of things
Stlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Give it a couple of days. I've bought books before on Amazon and the sale went through. Then a few days later I received a note that the book was out of print, they couldn't get it and my account was credited for the price I paid.

If you don't get that notice in a few days, then... well, there you are.
Stlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:03 AM   #185
JulieB
I grow my own catnip

JulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admiration
Yes, I've had that happen with print books, but Alicia0099 stated her mother bought it on the Kindle. That should mean instant delivery.
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #186
mayaone
practical experience, FTW

mayaone is on a distinguished road
I wanted to share some news about Katy Sara Culling who was also a Chipmunka author has passed away. I was very depressed since I had befriended her here. I am also a Chipmunka author. I don't want to say anything else about that here as this is about Katy Sara and her sad passing. She was a wonderful person and very prolific. She wrote five books with Chipmunka. She has a fb page if you knew her here and want to leave a condolence. Aloha Maya
mayaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #187
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mayaone, thank you for letting us know. I'm so very sorry to hear it -- she was far too young to be already finished. My heart goes out to her family and loved ones.

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings

Last edited by MacAllister; 11-09-2011 at 06:37 AM.
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #188
mayaone
practical experience, FTW

mayaone is on a distinguished road
Thank you MacAlister. She was a wonderful person who helped many people with mental illness but couldn't deal with her own. She will be missed by so many
mayaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #189
Giant Baby
Oh, the humanity.

Giant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayaone View Post
I wanted to share some news about Katy Sara Culling who was also a Chipmunka author has passed away. I was very depressed since I had befriended her here. I am also a Chipmunka author ...
Mayaone,

I'm so sorry. This is horribly sad news. My deepest sympathies to you, and all of Katysara's friends and loved ones. If there's anything you want to say about her--unrelated to anything other than honering what Katysara meant to you--there is a totally non-agency/non-publisher related thread here. It's for rememberances of members who have passed, and nothing else. Anyone can start a thread.

Mac has already changed her tag.

Condolences,

GB

Who the hell is Margaret? -Twizzle

Giant Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #190
The Horror Zine

The Horror Zine is on a distinguished road
Chipmunka Publishing

I know there have been previous threads about Chipmunka Publishing, but I would like to recommend my Beware Page about them here:

http://www.thehorrorzine.com/Beware/...ublishing.html

Please, if you are considering Chipmunka Publishing, please read my Beware Page about them first, before you sign any contracts. An informed decision is a better decision.

If you have been a victim of Chipmunka, I would love to hear from you at thehorrorzine@gmail.com

P.S. The Horror Zine works best with Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Apple Safari browsers, but not very well with the Internet Explorer browser.

Thanks,
Jeani Rector, Editor
The Horror Zine
http://www.thehorrorzine.com
The Horror Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #191
inpassive

inpassive is on a distinguished road
Removing a book from Chipmunkapublishing

Don't worry about removing a book from Chipmunka - heard of other people who had to do it too and it does say on their website that authors can remove their books if they want to (so they must be used to it!)

Apparently all you need to do is email them saying you are removing the book immediately and ask them to return the digitial format or whatever it is they use and ask for the e book to be removed from the digital list. Say why you are removing it too is a good idea - keep it short and if you want you can CC a mental health organisation, newspaper, media folk etc etc into the email too- it will be removed in a flash!!

Not only is this vanity publishing (taking money from authors) vaguely disguised as 'doing good works on mental health'- it is a particularly dubious outfit so the best thing would be to stay well clear in the first place.
inpassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #192
inpassive

inpassive is on a distinguished road
They seem to want a lot of money from their authors for their 'services' etc - that in itself is a warning. Doesn't matter what they are raising awareness about either. Authors should never have to pay anything to a publisher

And as the authors themselves have to buy the books (even at 'discount') to promote/sell etc - this 'publisher' will be making money out of them. Always keep clear of any publisher who wants money from an author - the real/genuine ones don't.

Last edited by inpassive; 02-26-2012 at 06:10 PM.
inpassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #193
Jeani Rector

Jeani Rector is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Chipmunka Publishing

What I want to do is to make you aware of the complaints I have received about Chipmunka, and also to let you know of the negative email conversation that I had personally with Jason Pegler which, in my opinion, Mr. Pegler's email reflects very poorly for Chipmunka.

You can see Mr. Pegler's emails here:
http://www.thehorrorzine.com/Beware/...ublishing.html

Jeani Rector, Editor
The Horror Zine
http://www.thehorrorzine.com

Last edited by Jeani Rector; 02-29-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Jeani Rector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #194
Jeani Rector

I see my threads have been merged here. Thanks.

Last edited by Jeani Rector; 02-29-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #195
escritora

escritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsescritora is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Jeani, we have a thread on Chipmunka on the Beware forum.

Your cautionary posts belong in the beware forum. It's probably best to check if we have a thread on a particular publisher before starting a new one. (I'm not being snarky here. Your new and it's understandable you didn't know about the beware forum. Welcome!)
escritora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #196
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi Jeani,

Please take a look at our Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check room, in particular the stickied threads that appear at the top of the thread listing.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #197
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
You probably forget because it was a long time ago but it seems you've already posted your concerns in the Chipmunka thread.
But anyway, thanks for the warning.
MysteryRiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #198
Jeani Rector

Chipmunkapublishing.com (Chipmunka Publishing)

Thank you. My only concern is for writers.

Last edited by Jeani Rector; 02-29-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #199
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
At the risk of being ironic, please keep all discussion of Chipmunka in the existing thread. Merged. Again.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #200
elindsen
Some vampire love

elindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I want to take a moment or two to complain about Chipmunka.

A friend of mine is pubbed through them. Yes, I believe she has sadly learned her mistake. Anyways I read her book and went on CM site to review it. That was over a year ago. Ever since then at least 2-3 times a week I get emails from them. SPAM. nothing about any specials book offers or anything like that. They want me to go to their s****y semiar on mental illness. Yes, they actually send customers emails on why they are a great pub. Jason is always praising his own books, you know, the one where he admits to raping a girl and getting away with it. I have labeled the emails as spam and have reported them to yahoo, but it never stops. For the low, low price of 139 euros, or whever they use in London, sorry not very worldly , I can attend. It is ridiculous. I just reviewed a damn book lol and now they want me to write and sell them my own memior? How ballsy does one have to be to ASSUME all of their customers are off their rockers?

BTW-I do have a mental illness but that is besides the point

Anais Morgan
Facebook
Blog

UntitledZombieStory 24,238/25,000

elindsen is online now   Reply With Quote