Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2008, 02:39 AM   #1
ILove2Write
Jaws has nightmares too

ILove2Write is on a distinguished road
Times New Roman vs. Courier New font?

When sending sample chapters with your query...

I've heard people send their sample chapters with either font. Sometimes I'll read that it should only be Courier New, others Times New Roman. All this contradicting information is confusing.

What do you send your chapters out with? Courier New or Times New Roman? And did this affect interest or rejection?
ILove2Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:47 AM   #2
honeywell

I use Times. I think either is fine as long as it's consistent.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:55 AM   #3
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If the person doesn't specify, I use TNR.

If they specify a fixed-width/fixed-space/monospaced font, I use Courier.
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:57 AM   #4
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I used TNR, no-one ever complained.
So long as it is readable I don't think it is a big deal.
waylander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:57 AM   #5
astonwest
2 WIP? A glutton for punishment

astonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've used Courier ever since I read it was the standard for manuscripts...unless otherwise specified by the outlet I'm submitting to.

Big Daddy West
Make sure to visit AstonWest.com
I'm also on Facebook and Twitter

Check out my newest novels, Death Brings Victory (the latest Aston West "in-the-series" novel) and The Cure.
astonwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
Carrie R.
Procrastinating, clearly

Carrie R. is well-respected
Unless the agent specifies, it doesn't matter. I sent mine out TNR 12 because that's what I preferred writing in.

carrieryan.com
carrie-ryan.livejournal.com
Carrie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
EelKat
The Bride of Sesshomaru

EelKat is on a distinguished road
I personly find Courier hard to read, so I only use Times New Roman

Kneel you pathetic human.
You are in the presence of the Bride of Sesshomaru.

I silk, kimonos, and pretty men in fur boas!
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
donroc
Historicals and Horror rule

donroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Always TNR12 unless another is specified.

House of Rocamora, sequel to Rocamora and a novel of 17th century Amsterdam, now available in soft cover, Kindle, and assorted ebooks.

"Chronology is not destiny"
Donald Michael Platt

"If, as Napoleon said, History is a myth agreed upon, let mine be the definitive myth."
Donald Michael Platt

www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page
donroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #9
Irysangel
She of Many Names

Irysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I use both. No one has ever complained.

www.jessica-sims.com
www.jillmyles.com
http://jessica-clare.com
Irysangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #10
ColoradoGuy
I've seen worse.
SuperModerator

ColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Times is pretty much the standard according to my agent. She also says not to sweat the whole italics vs. underline thing. Editors really don't care. Margins, those they care about. Make 'em 1-1.5 inches.

My books, website, and blog
ColoradoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
ORION
Sailed away years ago

ORION should run for PresidentORION should run for PresidentORION should run for PresidentORION should run for PresidentORION should run for PresidentORION should run for President
yep TNR double space 1 inch margins italics - Any thing they don't like they change...

Patricia Wood's debut novel LOTTERY is available for sale at Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Borders and your local independent book store.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com//e/9780425222201
ORION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:09 AM   #12
jamiehall
Bereaved Snarkling

jamiehall has earned our admirationjamiehall has earned our admirationjamiehall has earned our admirationjamiehall has earned our admiration
I find courier gives me eye-strain. I use TNR unless their guidelines say otherwise.
jamiehall is offline   Reply With Quote