Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Blogging and Social Networking
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Serena Casey
User Titles Rock

Serena Casey is a splendid one to beholdSerena Casey is a splendid one to beholdSerena Casey is a splendid one to behold
Need help with AdSense from experienced bloggers

As usual, I'm the last one to the party—in this case, the blogging party! I figured I'd experiment with it and see if I can generate just a little side income. So I'm monetizing my new WordPress blog but can't figure out how to insert the AdSense code into the main post area. I know how to put it in the sidebar with a text widget but I may want to try different placements.

I downloaded the AdSense Manager plug-in, but I don't really understand it. At Google's site, I had already chosen all the colors for the links, etc., and generated the code, so is this plug-in redundant for me?

I'm using my own hosting and domain name because I'm familiar with how to set up Web sites, but learning a new piece of software is always tough. Can someone with more WordPress experience than me (IOW, just about everybody) help me out with where to put the code or what files to modify? Thanks!

Now available for Kindle: To Finish the Dance

Serena Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
Marilyn Braun
Royal Bibliomaniac

Marilyn Braun is well-respected
WP doesn't allow ads - well, they allow a small Amazon ad but that's about it. In terms of advertising, this is what they say:

To support the service we may occasionally show Google text ads on your blog, however we do this very rarely. In the future you’ll be able to purchase an upgrade to either turn the ads off or show your own ads and make money from your blog.

I don't know if it's different for people hosting their own blogs on WP though.

Did you know The Queen has her own blog?

And yet another one: All Kate, All the time

Listen to my podcast: The Royal Report.

WIP: Everyone Who Knew Me
Current word count: 15,815
Goal: 70,000
Marilyn Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
Serena Casey
User Titles Rock

Serena Casey is a splendid one to beholdSerena Casey is a splendid one to beholdSerena Casey is a splendid one to behold
I think you might be talking about wordpress.com as opposed to wordpress.org, which is what I have. About.com says:
Quote:
Wordpress.org allows allows plugins and the use of themes. You're also able to monetize to your hearts content and add all your favorite bells and whistles.
I do have Google ads showing up in the sidebar, so I know it works. Just need to know how to put them elsewhere.

Thanks for replying, Marilyn!

Old 01-09-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
Serena Casey
User Titles Rock

Update - I think I'm going to go with Amazon rather than AdSense because AdSense has some things in there I don't want to promote. Still, I'm not sure where to put the code if I want it other than in the sidebar.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #5
Marilyn Braun
Royal Bibliomaniac

Marilyn Braun is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Casey View Post
Update - I think I'm going to go with Amazon rather than AdSense because AdSense has some things in there I don't want to promote. Still, I'm not sure where to put the code if I want it other than in the sidebar.
On my WP blog, in order to add stuff I've used Widgets. Dragged the text box where I want it on the sidebar and put the code into it.

Did you know The Queen has her own blog?

And yet another one: All Kate, All the time

Listen to my podcast: The Royal Report.

WIP: Everyone Who Knew Me
Current word count: 15,815
Goal: 70,000
Marilyn Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
Serena Casey
User Titles Rock

Yeah, the widgets have worked great for the sidebar. It won't let me put a widget in the post area, though - am I missing something?