Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
Strongbear
figuring it all out

Strongbear is on a distinguished road
Does Sodium Morphate actually exist?

I've seen the drug Sodium Morphate used several times on certain tv shows, particularly spy fiction like Alias. It's supposed to be able to slow the heart rate down so that it gives the appearance of death. However, I can barely find any proper articles or references to this on the internet, either on wikipedia or elsewhere. Everywhere I search, it leads me back to Alias or other fiction. I've noticed that it seems vaguely related to rat poison, but I can't be sure. I've also asked a friend studying medicine whether she has heard of this and she says she hasn't.

Has anyone else come across this drug before? And can anyone else verify whether Sodium Morphate actually exists? If so, perhaps you could provide a link to some articles.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 05:02 AM   #2
Horseshoes
still thinking up something good to put here

Horseshoes is a shiny, shiny jewelHorseshoes is a shiny, shiny jewel
Actually not, not as a sodium or morphine analog (tho writers are free to make science up.)
Ya could use tetrodotoxin to mimic death. Maybe eat some improperly prepared pufferfish.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I imagine it is like 555 phone numbers, a made up one to avoid copycats and law suits. It can't be a chemical name because morphine isn't an element.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Tsu Dho Nimh
practical experience, FTW

Tsu Dho Nimh is a splendid one to beholdTsu Dho Nimh is a splendid one to beholdTsu Dho Nimh is a splendid one to behold
It's in the same class as red mercury and dilithium crystals ... imaginary compound.

http://forums.randi.org/archive/inde...p/t-22720.html

It's really popular with conspiracy theorists, however. They credit allsorts of deaths to it: Kenneth Lay, anyone who was ever involved in Whitewater but died, etc.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Horseshoe is right. Sodium Morphate doesn't exist to my knowledge, but if you want to mimic death, go with pufferfish poison. The poison from fugu (the risky Japanese pufferfish delicacy) is very, very fatal. But in the exact right dosage, it can mimic death while keeping the victim alive. In some less-than-advanced, people like witch doctors have used this to mimic the creation of zombies, by poisoning someone so they appeared dead, were then buried, and then digging them up and the person reappeared, seemingly alive.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
benbradley
Perspiring Whitey

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The "sodium bla-bla" name reminded me of someting with a similar name but informally known as "truth serum," which I googled and found info about on these pages:
http://www.psicologia.freeservers.co...o_verdade.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_drug
Old 01-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
As a research chemist of 25+ years experience in pharmaceutical research (and access to scientific databases that are not open to the general public) I can state with certainty that Sodium Morphate does not exist.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbradley View Post
The "sodium bla-bla" name reminded me of someting with a similar name but informally known as "truth serum," which I googled and found info about on these pages:
http://www.psicologia.freeservers.co...o_verdade.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_drug
Yep, as you probably found, that would be Sodium Pentathol, which does exist.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
kreativac
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

kreativac is on a distinguished road
sodium morphat

Sodium Morphat was for a years favorite poison that mafia and CIA used during 50-is . Apple smell poison make you sleepy , you vomit and on the and -stroke . Some of victims were Lyndon Johnson , maybe Hover , M.Monroe, senator Estes Kefauver .... so prefect poison in that time !
Old 07-01-2009, 02:50 AM   #10
Chase
Doable digit drills

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Since we're talking Peabody's Improbable History here, don't forget Sodium Morphat is used to:

Consistently hit targets while shooting exclusively from the hip.

understand lowercase writing without punctuation

Return distant sniper fire through the front lens and out the rear lens through the other sniper's scope tube.

Put comma's before every "and," and (see?) apostrophe's in front of all final s's.

Blow off extremities (from the hip, of course) with handguns.

US3 TR33S IN PLAC3 OF TH3 L3TT3R B3TW33N D AND F.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:49 AM   #11
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreativac View Post
Sodium Morphat was for a years favorite poison that mafia and CIA used during 50-is . Apple smell poison make you sleepy , you vomit and on the and -stroke . Some of victims were Lyndon Johnson , maybe Hover , M.Monroe, senator Estes Kefauver .... so prefect poison in that time !

Your source for this information?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #12
hammerklavier
It was a dark and stormy night

hammerklavier has a spectacular aurahammerklavier has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Since we're talking Peabody's Improbable History here, don't forget Sodium Morphat is used to:

Consistently hit targets while shooting exclusively from the hip.

understand lowercase writing without punctuation

Return distant sniper fire through the front lens and out the rear lens through the other sniper's scope tube.

Put comma's before every "and," and (see?) apostrophe's in front of all final s's.

Blow off extremities (from the hip, of course) with handguns.

US3 TR33S IN PLAC3 OF TH3 L3TT3R B3TW33N D AND F.
Isn't this the drug that allows you to fire your handgun fifty times without reloading, to fire a gun from each hand even though you are not ambidextrious, etc?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
smcc360
I've Got An MFA In LEO

smcc360 is a glorious beacon of lightsmcc360 is a glorious beacon of lightsmcc360 is a glorious beacon of light
A controlled dose of Sodium Morphate once allowed me to drive a car on two wheels off the roof of a parking garage, and then leap out and catch hold of a helicoptor's landing skid while airborne. The drug helped me to kill the pilot with karate (don't feel bad; he was a member of the Russian Yakuza), and then dive from the crashing chopper into a penthouse swimming pool.

The beautiful young heiress lounging by the pool was suprised to see me DROP IN*, but after a couple of Appletinis, we became very good friends .

Thanks, Sodium Morphate!

* This is a pun. A sexy pun.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #14
RJK
Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:

RJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputation
And I've been turning it down because I'm on a low sodium diet.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #15
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You're all looking at the etymology wrong. Sheesh, dangle a conspiracy theory and people just snap it up. Poison? Really?

"Morphate" - from "morph", to transform.

Sodium Morphate is an experimental compound made to look like regular table salt that when ingested can allow the person doing the ingesting to alter their appearance at will. Usually this is done by a softening of the connective tissue that allows for tactile rearrangement of the features (basically, you just move stuff around with your fingers). However, those who have repeated exposure and a bit of skill have learned to hone their facial muscles to that all it takes is concentrating on a shape to change one's appearance. (note - guys, don't gawk at the pretty ladies while the compound is in your system. Super model head on your beer gut body... not pleasant.)

I think I may have just outlined a new WIP...

Old 07-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #16
dpaterso
No one of consequence!
SuperModerator

dpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Since this is Story Research forum and we're meant to be serious here, let's put this one to bed; it had rolled to a gentle stop in January last year anyway.

-Derek
Closed Thread