Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 04:29 AM   #201
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
New agent: Rebecca Post, former editor at Hazelden Publishing.

http://www.geocities.com/cjstender/index.html
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:58 PM   #202
Sakamonda

Sakamonda is well-respected
Rebecca Post

Rebecca Post is very knowledgable of the self-help and psychology genres.
Sakamonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:43 AM   #203
honeycomb
Caroline

honeycomb is well-respected
Just looking at the Publishers that Uwe contracts with, "World". Is that correct and who are they?

Thx

www.alexandthelamb.com
my blog: http://carolinewilson.typepad.com
www.myspace.com/carolinewilsonbooks
-------------------------------
Published: 1 Children's Book
WIP: 1
What would I have done differently before submitting my first work for publication?
- Learn the art of writing
- Join Absolutewrite
- Research: publishing houses, agents, how the business works
honeycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #204
Sakamonda

Sakamonda is well-respected
"World" means he sold world print rights. It is not a publisher.

MARKET FOR LOVE now available; Buy it here.

[Jamaica Layne] has built a multifaceted writing career, in genres ranging from theater to erotic fiction"---Chicago Tribune

"Layne sucks you in and doesn't let go until the last page."--Love Romance Passion.com

"Once you read Jamaica Layne, she will be on your auto-buy list."----Dirty Girl Reviews, on MARKET FOR LOVE

4 Stars!----Romantic Times Magazine
Sakamonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:23 AM   #205
williamfromkc
I'm keeping my day job

williamfromkc is on a distinguished road
Triada

I got rejected by Triada in AN HOUR! He holds the all time record among all the literary agents for the fastest reply. But he was polite and responsive so I have no complaints.
williamfromkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:23 AM   #206
lmharmon
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

lmharmon is on a distinguished road
Uwe is very nice, and business-like, which I appreciate even though we are not working together.
lmharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #207
Spiny Norman
practical experience, FTW

Spiny Norman has a spectacular auraSpiny Norman has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamfromkc View Post
I got rejected by Triada in AN HOUR! He holds the all time record among all the literary agents for the fastest reply. But he was polite and responsive so I have no complaints.
Mine's Nathan Bradsford, as of today.

That man handles his inbox like a fry cook with tickets at a diner.
Spiny Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #208
JoNightshade
has finally arrived

JoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Now that he's not my agent, thought I'd post here with my experience with this guy. In all ways Uwe was very nice. He read my entire manuscript and wrote me a handwritten, detailed half-page about what he liked about it. And then he said he would have signed me instantly if I had contacted him six months earlier, but that he was no longer taking my type of story. Which of course left me thinking, then why did he read it? But he invited me to send him any future projects. I have another agent now, but I kept the note from Uwe because it was so nice and encouraging. I got my manuscript back, too, and it was quite obvious he had gotten all the way through.

I also appreciated the fact that he got back to me in a very timely manner, so I wasn't left hanging for months and months.

Courting Greta has been released into the wide world!
I have also entered the world of self-pubbing with a short story, Christmas in the Californios, 1833.
JoNightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #209
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Uwe is my agent, and he's been wonderful through any process that we've been assoicated with. He ranked 8th in overall sales for 2007, with some very big tickets and celeb clients. He now has a sub-agent, who specializes in non-fiction and who is giving him a hand. He never fails to get back to me the next day, update me frequently, and show aggresive behavoir when making submissions. I can attest that he reads every sub carefully, and always has something to say, good, bad or indifferent.

I might add that he just recieved the honor of being awarded soccer coach of the year in Pennsylvania, and taking the state championship. He's now on the roster for National Coach of Year, which is indeed an honor. The ethic and winning attitude that he's seared on the minds of his players, is the same attitude he instills in his literary clients.

Tri
triceretops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #210
hopeful

hopeful is on a distinguished road
Inspiring, triceretops!!

Uwe sounds like a wonderful agent, a great soccer coach and an exceptional human being!

- hopeful
hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #211
scully931
So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?

scully931 is well-respected
I have a question---

You know how it's a good idea to say something to show you've researched the agent, etc. ? Well, what is the general opinion of saying something like you've heard such great things about them on writer's message boards? (Naming the board or not?) Just curious. I've always come close to saying something like that, but have never put it in.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #212
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It never hurts, as long as you don't go overboard and take it to the realm of pandering. Certainly some agent's deserve a certain amount of praise because they are so highly rated by authors and their peers. If they've made substantial accomplishments that are impressive, you can mention them in passing. No harm done.

Tri
Old 03-18-2008, 02:45 AM   #213
Karen Duvall
Chalice the Hatchet Knight

Karen Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I queried Uwe yesterday and got a request for a partial this morning. I write urban fantasy.
Twitter
Facebook

KNIGHT'S CURSE -- A Publisher's Weekly Top 10 Pick for Fall 2011 (Harlequin Luna)
DARKEST KNIGHT -- Sequel to KNIGHT'S CURSE released March 2012 (Harlequin Luna)
SUN STORM -- Novella in Harlequin's TIL THE WORLD ENDS Anthology
Karen Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:53 AM   #214
triceretops
Super Browser

Good luck, Karen. Uwe is receptive to urban fantasy and paranormal thriller/romance, much more so than anything else right now. I do know that he has gotten extremely picky. So glad you got the partial response. He's wonderful.

Tri
Old 03-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #215
Karen Duvall
Chalice the Hatchet Knight

Karen Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks, Tri. I use QueryTracker to keep track of my queries and when I looked up Uwe, there hadn't been a single positive response to the fantasy queries recorded, so I got to be first. It feels good. Now we'll just see how things pan out from here.
Twitter
Facebook

KNIGHT'S CURSE -- A Publisher's Weekly Top 10 Pick for Fall 2011 (Harlequin Luna)
DARKEST KNIGHT -- Sequel to KNIGHT'S CURSE released March 2012 (Harlequin Luna)
SUN STORM -- Novella in Harlequin's TIL THE WORLD ENDS Anthology
Karen Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:53 AM   #216
chinatown
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

chinatown is on a distinguished road
so far, so good

I emailed a query and heard back in a few hours. He seemed very polite and enthusiastic and asked for the full ms. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

genre: literary fiction, women's
chinatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:49 AM   #217
marie2
eggroll

marie2 is well-respected
I just want to put down my two cents. Uwe was really professional and nice when I queried him. He asked for a full and sadly ended up passing but during our correspondence he was incredibly respectful and communicative.

marie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:38 AM   #218
DaveKuzminski
Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace

DaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just received an email from Uwe...he's now a member of AAR.
DaveKuzminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 AM   #219
Chumplet
This hat is keeping me warm

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Excellent! I plan to query when The Yearbook is finished. He was so positive with his rejection of Bad Ice, which will be released next week by Champagne Books.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #220
colealpaugh
"Bear trumps Elephants!"

colealpaugh is a splendid one to beholdcolealpaugh is a splendid one to beholdcolealpaugh is a splendid one to behold
A quote from the one of Coach Stender's opponents:

“They were everywhere, they were swarming. We knew they would be. ... We were outmatched.”---Beaver County Times

I guess that's how you want an agent to make editors/publishers to feel. Go Panthers!
colealpaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #221
triceretops
Super Browser

Oh, yeah. Doc is all that and a bag of chips. Comes through in his personality.

Tri
Old 04-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #222
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I am officially represented by Uwe now

While I was on vacation two weeks ago, I sent out a query for every thousand words I wrote on my new WIP (and then a few more when I felt like it). I sent one to him on Monday and got a request for a snail mail full within two hours. Since I was away from paper, printer, and envelopes, I had to have a friend print it out and send it to him Tuesday morning. He offered representation that Saturday before I started my drive home. From query to offer was shorter than my one-week vacation, and that included the time the ms was in the mail.

He seems very nice, very professional, and very excited about Love Sucks.

Read the crits! The Beta Project (password: beta)

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon

"Fireflies" -Absolute Visions

Taylor-Made: Overhaul in progress!

Hero/Villain Series:
Hero/Villain - minor tweaking needed
Master/Puppet - 5566 words
Super/Human - Plotting (832 words)

A Paranormal Bromance - waiting for 2nd revision
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #223
triceretops
Super Browser

Congrats, Sage! Nice to have you aboard. He is very swift--no lag time. Your editing/prep and agent submissions will be just as swift and precise. Be sure to huddle with Uwe and suggest any houses that you think might be appropriet for inclusion in the first round. He evaluates and considers.

Tri
Old 04-09-2009, 05:20 AM   #224
Death Wizard
Tumhe na koci puujetha

Death Wizard is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeath Wizard is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeath Wizard is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeath Wizard is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeath Wizard is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeath Wizard is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeath Wizard is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeath Wizard is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeath Wizard is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeath Wizard is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeath Wizard is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I am officially represented by Uwe now

While I was on vacation two weeks ago, I sent out a query for every thousand words I wrote on my new WIP (and then a few more when I felt like it). I sent one to him on Monday and got a request for a snail mail full within two hours. Since I was away from paper, printer, and envelopes, I had to have a friend print it out and send it to him Tuesday morning. He offered representation that Saturday before I started my drive home. From query to offer was shorter than my one-week vacation, and that included the time the ms was in the mail.

He seems very nice, very professional, and very excited about Love Sucks.
Indeed, congrats!

Author of The Death Wizard Chronicles, a six-book epic fantasy. Book 1 (Forged In Death) is now available for purchase on bellebooks.com, amazon.com and other venues. Also, Book 2 (Chained By Fear) is now available here, Book 3 (Shadowed by Demons) is here and Book 4 (Torn by War) is here. And a pair of DW short stories (Torg's First Death and The Black Fortress) also is available for free.

www.jim-melvin.com; www.amazon.com/author/jimmelvin; www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com; facebook

"It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell." -- The Buddha
Death Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:03 AM   #225
polleekin

polleekin is well-respected
I can't find any information on this-- has this agent sold any fiction yet? I see he's interested in it, but don't see any fiction sales as of now, just the nonfiction. (I know there's a first time for everything when an agent is branching out, just wondering.) Thanks in advance for any info.
polleekin is offline   Reply With Quote