Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #301
MrKennedy
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

MrKennedy is on a distinguished road
After querying Dr Stender in the past, and always getting a response [1 positive (from my first novel...he liked my style and found me hillarious, but thought that the book was too nihilistic for the market at that time) and 1 very quick reject (which while a rejection, the swiftness, and actual response is appreciated)] from him, I queried him on my latest work.

After two weeks without a response, and since I didn't notice anything on his website saying he no longer responds to queries, I resent. And then received the auto reply. Two weeks after that...still no response. So I rolled the dice, and sent it again. I even sent him another email from a different address asking if he no longer responded to queries. No response to that either.

So maybe it's just me in general that he doesn't want to read anything from...lol
MrKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #302
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
He said his spam filter has been aggressive lately. Try different words in the subject line.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #303
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
Received a request for a full (YA romance) about one hour after querying Uwe Stender. Speedy, speedy!

Lydia Sharp
YA author represented by Laura Bradford
editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
frequently on Twitter

Lydia Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:55 AM   #304
Sweet Tea
Gone to pee - don't touch my glass!

Sweet Tea has earned our admirationSweet Tea has earned our admirationSweet Tea has earned our admirationSweet Tea has earned our admiration
Go Lydia!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:29 AM   #305
gawain

gawain is on a distinguished road
Lydia, how did your request go? Are you still waiting? Did Uwe ask for that in hard copy or email? The website seems to imply they want hard copy on materials.

I just queried him myself and I'm curious to learn more about this agent. Since the agency is so young, its hard to find information about them.
gawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:26 AM   #306
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There's not much information to find regarding fiction. Non-fiction should have a lot of info.

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising

Super/Human (Hero/Villain 2): NaNoWriMo

This week, I'm in: Connecticut and New Jersey
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #307
honeysock
Tell me to leave. Please.

honeysock is a glorious beacon of lighthoneysock is a glorious beacon of lighthoneysock is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by gawain View Post
Lydia, how did your request go? Are you still waiting? Did Uwe ask for that in hard copy or email? The website seems to imply they want hard copy on materials.

I just queried him myself and I'm curious to learn more about this agent. Since the agency is so young, its hard to find information about them.
Young? Compared to what? They've been in business six, almost seven years.
honeysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #308
gawain

Yeah that's what I meant LOL. But then, I'm old I guess. Most of the agencies I've queried seem to have been around for at least a decade, some for several. Comparatively, this one seemed relatively new. That's by no means a slight of opinion or an attempt to imply anything. Like I said, I queried them and I'm obviously excited and trying to do my research, but information has proven elusive. I get it. Some agencies just don't have a huge internet presence.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #309
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by gawain View Post
I am so sorry I forgot to come back and update. Yowza. My bad.

In his request, which was through email, he simply asked to see the full novel. I was confused by what was on the website as well, so I asked him "how do you want me to send it?" and he requested an email attachment. The reason being, I believe, because it's quicker. He seems to pride himself on how quickly he responds to authors, both for queries and requested material.

He got back to be in less than a week. Ultimately, it was a pass, but he included some detailed feedback and an invitation to re-send if I do any major revisions. He's on my short list of "revise and re-submit", should it come to that. At the moment, I'm still getting interest from other agents so I'm not ready to tear it apart yet.

Lydia Sharp
YA author represented by Laura Bradford
editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
frequently on Twitter

Lydia Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #310
gawain

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you didn't get accepted but it sounds like you're doing just fine. I still haven't heard anything. It's been a few days but I know his website says within a week, and most responses seem to come pretty fast. Also cool to hear that you got feedback. I'd be thrilled just to get that once in a while.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #311
elindsen
Some vampire love

elindsen is a candidate for sainthoodelindsen is a candidate for sainthoodelindsen is a candidate for sainthoodelindsen is a candidate for sainthoodelindsen is a candidate for sainthoodelindsen is a candidate for sainthoodelindsen is a candidate for sainthoodelindsen is a candidate for sainthood
i'll add i got my rejections within an hour or two. very fast, although my novel was everything he says he's looking for. but seeing what he's sold, i think he has very narrow likes. i could be wrong though. probably am...

Anais Morgan
Facebook
Blog

Burning Wings 26,029/50,000

elindsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #312
Traven
Majestical Mystery Man

Traven is on a distinguished road
It took him about an hour to turn my query into a no. Gotta love those fast responders, even if you don't like what they have to say.
Traven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 AM   #313
gawain

I still haven't heard anything. I must have gotten caught in the spam filter.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #314
The Hobbit

The Hobbit is on a distinguished road
I had sent a query to Dr. Stender a couple years ago and he got back with me quickly. It was rejected (and rightfully so looking back on it) but his kind encouragment was very helpful to a new writer like me.

Now that I've finished my second novel and am back in the agent hunt, he was the first person I thought of. I sent the query today and am eager to see what he has to say

Edit - scratch that. I just got the auto response saying they're out of the office until August 8th.. so I'll have to wait for that response
The Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #315
Chumplet

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Now that my novel has been through the wringer and has since stretched another 20K words, I might give Uwe another try since he'd expressed interest in seeing it again if I made extensive revisions.

I'll wait for a response from my beta reader before my next move.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Old 08-26-2011, 03:52 AM   #316
The Hobbit

The Hobbit is on a distinguished road
I had to resend it after a few weeks and got a quick rejection. Oh well, back to query search.
The Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:57 AM   #317
Paul
Banned for Trolling

Paul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Got super fast rejection. standard (I assume) but nice.

great to get closure with an agency.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #318
sheadakota
part of the human equation

sheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I resent my query to him after a no repsonse from him after 2 weeks- I just put query in my subject line- any suggestions why he might not have got it?

Re-Release of the COYOTE MOON SERIES!
Fallen available print and ebook
Through the Glass Available July 2014
The Coyote's Song- Available August 2014
Socrate's Child-COMING Summer 2015!
Broken - Winter 2015

Center of the Storm-

My Website

Fallen is a taut, hard driving, edge of your seat thiller.
Michael Wiley, author of The Last Striptease
sheadakota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:54 AM   #319
Chumplet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheadakota View Post
I resent my query to him after a no repsonse from him after 2 weeks- I just put query in my subject line- any suggestions why he might not have got it?
I had the same problem last year from my author email address. He got wind of it here and asked me to send from my other email address and it went through. Maybe try another email account...

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Old 09-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #320
FabricatedParadise
Can be bribed with circus peanuts

FabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFabricatedParadise is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just want to repeat what others have said: he's a superfast responder. I querried today at 11:53am. By 11:59 I had my bright, shiny rejection waiting for me in my inbox. His rejection also didn't appear to be a form, which I found impressive.

6 minutes to respond (on a Sunday morning) and writing the R personally -- If this is any indication of how he represents his clients, it's a good sign.
FabricatedParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #321
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Yeah. Very fast. I queried him on a Friday and received the auto-reply that he was returning Monday morning. Taking into consideration that there would be a number of neglected queries waiting for him, I assumed it would be awhile. But sure enough, by 8am that morning I had my kind, personalized rejection waiting for me.
MysteryRiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:19 AM   #322
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Uwe is super attentive and very intelligent. You would be very lucky to land him as your agent. He's never let his clients down for lack of communication. Simply the best.

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:24 AM   #323
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
His books do well too! Definitely worth querying.
MysteryRiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #324
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Does he have more fiction sales now? His non-fiction sales have always been excellent.

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising

Super/Human (Hero/Villain 2): NaNoWriMo

This week, I'm in: Connecticut and New Jersey
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #325
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, a few more -- his non-fic has always been his strong suit. He has a couple heavy hitters, but he should have been way up there in novel sales for the amount of time that he's been receiving clients. Nothing wrong with that, though. I just had to find me another agent that knew first names of agents that had very strong sales in fiction, rather than non-fiction
Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote