Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 12:56 AM   #176
bocabum
Procrastinator/Doddlebutter

bocabum is on a distinguished road
I sent Kim Lionetti a partial in April and still haven't heard back. I recently sent a status email, but still haven't heard anything. When is she back open to queries? Perhaps my status email was deleted by a filter b/c she's still closed off to new submissions??

Hopefully

bocabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #177
Phantom Writer
Dancing between good and evil...

Phantom Writer is well-respected
Boca I think Kim actually reopened on 9/30. I heard back from her on 10/2 on my query. Did you send to the general email or her personal one?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #178
bocabum
Procrastinator/Doddlebutter

bocabum is on a distinguished road
I sent the email to her kimlionetti@bookends-inc.com address. I didn't receive an email back saying that it would be automatically deleted. (I sent the email on Sept. 4th, btw)

So now I don't know what to do? Re-send the status email? (Although I hate the thoughts of bugging Kim, since she's playing catch up, as it is) My partial must have gotten lost...it's been out since April!

So confused/scared/nervous! I want to re-send, now that's back open to subs, but like I've said, I don't want to hound her, either.

bocabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:23 AM   #179
katpaws
writer/fangirl

katpaws is on a distinguished road
Hey bocabum,

I get the feeling that while Kim is all caught up on queries, she isn't quite all caught up on partials, but I'd imagine she has a lot more time to focus on them now that her deluge of queries is out of the way. Try not to worry! If you still haven't heard after another month or so, maybe send another polite nudge.
katpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:27 AM   #180
Phantom Writer
Dancing between good and evil...

Phantom Writer is well-respected
Boca, I'd agree with Kat on this one too.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #181
katpaws
writer/fangirl

Has anybody heard back about partials?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #182
ChaosTitan
Around
AW Moderator

ChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I haven't seen this posted on their website yet, but Kim Lionetti just Tweeted it today:

Quote:
I'll be closing submissions from 11/15 to 1/18. So BookEnds will not be accepting queries during that time as Jessica is on maternity leave.

"Holy f*ck!" --Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks, on CHANGELING.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.
ChaosTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #183
Dawnny Baby
Getting back up again

Dawnny Baby is on a distinguished road
Yeah, AgentQuery.com lists Jessica Faust as accepting queries, so I queried her yesterday and got 2 replies: one that she was on maternity leave until Jan. 4, and the other said that she was on leave until Jan. 18. (Maybe she's coming back the 4th but doesn't want to deal with new queries until the end of the month?) The second e-mail said that queries should be re-sent at the end of January. (At which point she'll be overwhelmed with new queries!)
Dawnny Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #184
katpaws
writer/fangirl

So, I suppose with Kim closing to submissions as well, we'll start to see some replies to partials/fulls?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #185
KatieR
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

KatieR is on a distinguished road
It took six months for Kim to reply to me (r) - I think she was wiping out her in-box. I guess they must get thousands of submissions and I wonder how many staff the agency has?
KatieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #186
bclement412
practical experience, FTW

bclement412 should run for Presidentbclement412 should run for Presidentbclement412 should run for Presidentbclement412 should run for Presidentbclement412 should run for Presidentbclement412 should run for President
Has anyone had any contact/experience with Katelynn Lacopo?

15 Partials (4 Rs, 3 request for revisions, 1 request for larger partial, 1 request for full)
6 Fulls (1 R)
65 Rejections
4 personalized query Rs

------------------------
Damaged (Edgy YA)

1st Draft (1/30/10): 8,500 words

Blog: Author Interviews/ARC reviews
bclement412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 AM   #187
Fmate66

Fmate66 is on a distinguished road
I have just started submitting to agents (scary!) and Kim was one of the ones I chose along with Jessica Faust. I got the out of office message from Jessica instantly and then a 'closed to submissions until Jan 18th' message from Kim 24 hours later.

Is this positive or does it mean nothing? Has she scanned my query and wants me to resubmit or would she just be saying this to everyone who queries at the moment?

I suspect its the latter but I just wanted some confirmation.

Just wanted to say I have been lurking and reading for ages and I am so grateful you guys are here. To be able to come and find threads about specific people I am thinking of dealing with is invaluable.
Fmate66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:51 AM   #188
honeysock
Tell me to leave. Please.

honeysock is a glorious beacon of lighthoneysock is a glorious beacon of lighthoneysock is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmate66 View Post
I have just started submitting to agents (scary!) and Kim was one of the ones I chose along with Jessica Faust. I got the out of office message from Jessica instantly and then a 'closed to submissions until Jan 18th' message from Kim 24 hours later.

Is this positive or does it mean nothing? Has she scanned my query and wants me to resubmit or would she just be saying this to everyone who queries at the moment?

I suspect its the latter but I just wanted some confirmation.

Their website says:

Jessica Faust is on leave until January 18 and will not be accepting queries until that time.
Kim Lionetti is also closed to submissions until January 18.
Jacky Sach is closed to submissions at this time

Essentially, you're wasting your time querying them right now. You will need to re-query after January 18.

I've learned my lesson the hard way: research will save you time, money, and frustration (not much, but a little).
honeysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #189
Fmate66

Fmate66 is on a distinguished road
Ah ok. Thanks. I used that AgentQuery website but I guess I should have checked their specific website/s first. AQ had their status as accepting queries.

Lesson learned! Thanks for the reply
Fmate66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #190
katpaws
writer/fangirl

Had anybody heard back from Kim on a partial submitted after her big inbox cleaning in September?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:44 AM   #191
ChristineR
What happened?

Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the University, and the first Borders
ChristineR is a glorious beacon of lightChristineR is a glorious beacon of light
Just got an auto-reply from Jessica Faust--out of office until the 27th of February.

Not surprising as on Agent Query it says she's on maternity leave until January 18th.

As of 8:30 PM EDT, Tuesday June 1:

ChristineR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #192
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Kim is briefly open for queries, but only for YA, Romance and Women's Fiction. Please put the genre in your subject line.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #193
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Thanks for the tip, Chumplet. I've been waiting for her to open up again!

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #194
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Jessica posted this on twitter yesterday:

"querybox update: opened to queries 9/7, caught up on queries thru 9/11, caught up on proposals through July. 200 left to go."

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 AM   #195
MadDabbler
Clearly confused and adrift

MadDabbler has a spectacular auraMadDabbler has a spectacular aura
How often. . .

Local worried newbie again: here's how it has gone.

1. Sent in e-query on 97k word UF. Bit nails.
2. Nails bled, received request for proposal quickly. Did happy dance. Chewed nails to first knuckle.
3. Have begun to worry that BookEnds requests many proposal. Have chewed my way to second knuckle. Am having trouble typing.
4. In the interest of preserving the rest of my fingers, am asking for feedback from anyone who might know how often proposals (partials) are requested.

Thank you for your interest in preserving my hands.
MadDabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #196
Nya RAyne
On the verge of greatness

Location: In a house on a corner, next to this old lady and behind this bald obnoxiously fat guy, who keeps...
Nya RAyne is a shiny, shiny jewelNya RAyne is a shiny, shiny jewel
Queried Jessica, we'll see how it goes.

Storm's Fury, para-romance, get it here.

For His Love, futuristic romance, get it here.

<==Unveil My Heart, a Wiccan Haus para-romance, get it here.
Nya RAyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #197
Amy28

Amy28 is on a distinguished road
I queried Jessica for nonfiction on 10/11 and got a request for the full proposal the following day, 10/12. On 10/14, she emailed me saying she couldn't stop reading it (!!!!!) and asking if I had a full manuscript (which I don't, just a proposal). I communicated that to her and she said she planned to get back to me soon.

Talk about being nervous...

Last edited by Amy28; 10-18-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Amy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #198
MadDabbler
Clearly confused and adrift

MadDabbler has a spectacular auraMadDabbler has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy28 View Post
Talk about being nervous...
Congrats Amy28! Wow, do I ever want to be you! I figure I'll fall over in a dead faint if she asks for the full. For a variety of reasons, she's my dream agent. I want her so very much.

I wish you the absolute best in getting representation. <-- This is my "green with envy" smile for you.
MadDabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 AM   #199
Amy28

Amy28 is on a distinguished road
I got the phone call! Jessica has offered representation!!!! I talked with her for about 30 minutes later in the day and think we really click. I could not be more thrilled. Because I have the full proposal out with two other agencies, I have been in touch with them, but just so so so excited!
Amy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #200
LLeopardGGecko

LLeopardGGecko is on a distinguished road
Wow! Congrats!

That is so cool
LLeopardGGecko is offline   Reply With Quote