Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #376
HoneyBadger
Queen of the Upmarket Bagladies

HoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybiz View Post
Thanks for letting us know, Parametric. I stalk agents on Twitter but I missed this one.
And I missed Parametric's post!

Old 04-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #377
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
And I missed Parametric's post!

We ninjas strike silently from the darkness.
Parametric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #378
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ah, you beat me to it ... so says another twitter stalker.

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #379
Stiger05
practical experience, FTW

Stiger05 has earned our admirationStiger05 has earned our admirationStiger05 has earned our admirationStiger05 has earned our admiration
I have a question on follow-up protocol:

I sent requested material to Lauren Ruth on January 17. Their submission guidelines states their response time goal is 12 weeks to respond to RM. It has been 15 weeks.

However, I queried her on September 19 and she responded on January 16. Their query goals are 8 weeks.

How long should I wait before nudging? Based on the query response time, it may take a while still. I nudged on the query on November 22, but she responded to my original submission.

Thoughts? Have any of you had a similar experience?

Writing some stuff, editing some stuff, you know, the same old same old.

My blog
Twitter

Stiger05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:07 AM   #380
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
I just received a request for the first 3 chapters of my novel + synopsis from Lauren Ruth.

I'd queried Jan 13 and received the request May 8th. I had written Lauren off because it had been sooo long since I'd queried -- what a pleasant surprise

Unfortunately -- or well it is a good unfortunately, I am revising my novel (per requests of another agent).

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson
Smiley0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #381
ex_machina
Enjoy the show.

ex_machina leaves trails of profuse coolnessex_machina leaves trails of profuse coolnessex_machina leaves trails of profuse coolnessex_machina leaves trails of profuse coolnessex_machina leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiger05 View Post
I have a question on follow-up protocol:

I sent requested material to Lauren Ruth on January 17. Their submission guidelines states their response time goal is 12 weeks to respond to RM. It has been 15 weeks.

However, I queried her on September 19 and she responded on January 16. Their query goals are 8 weeks.

How long should I wait before nudging? Based on the query response time, it may take a while still. I nudged on the query on November 22, but she responded to my original submission.

Thoughts? Have any of you had a similar experience?
Was it a partial or a full? For my full, it took Jessica a month to get to it. I'm not sure about Lauren, but from what I can gather on QT and personal experience, they really do try to be prompt if they're interested in something.

If it's a full, I would wait maybe another few weeks. If it's a partial, I would probably nudge and gently remind them of their 12 week goal.

I hope that helps!

Bloggin' (Latest: Queries are like cupcakes!)|Twitter!|Repped by Jessica Faust of BookEnds, LLC.
ex_machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #382
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Received a rejection from Kim on a query with no sample pages sent in February. Blerg.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #383
QueenViv

QueenViv is on a distinguished road
Apparently Lauren Ruth left the agency. Does anyone know anything about that?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #384
MaraudingDon
Searching for Arthur

MaraudingDon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenViv View Post
Apparently Lauren Ruth left the agency. Does anyone know anything about that?
She has left Bookends. I know a couple of writers who have now received rejections to partials and fulls they had with her.

It has been quite a week for agents leaving, including Ken Wright and Kat Salazar.
MaraudingDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #385
penguin girl

penguin girl is on a distinguished road
Lauren Ruth left

Thanks for posting about Lauren leaving. She is listed in the current issue of Writer's Digest as an agent at Bookends seeking new authors.

I may submit anyway, as the address listed is a general submissions email address...

Here is where Lauren went: http://slushpiletales.wordpress.com/...-in-entangled/

Last edited by penguin girl; 09-01-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: updating info
penguin girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #386
TheCakeNovelist
Magically delicious

TheCakeNovelist is on a distinguished road
Smile

Has anyone dealt with Beth Campbell at Bookends? I received a partial request from her based on a query I had sent to Lauren Ruth, and a month later she bumped it up to a full.

It's been less than a month since I sent the full so I may have a while to wait, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any dealings with her. She's been lovely so far and BookEnds is one of my top choices so I am crossing everything!
TheCakeNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #387
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
TheCakeNovelist, you're having a great querying run! This is the second thread I've seen where you've had a full request, congrats. I can't offer any advice, I'm afraid, but I hope it goes well for you.

ALMOST FINISHED OMG: BROKEN THINGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #388
TheCakeNovelist
Magically delicious

TheCakeNovelist is on a distinguished road
Thank you so much! I was loath to do it, but I finally took the very good advice to reduce my wordcount and it seems to have done the trick.
TheCakeNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #389
JournoWriter
Just the facts, please

JournoWriter has a spectacular aura
Nonfiction

Has anyone had recent experience with querying NF with BookEnds? The site says they take it, and their list looks intriguing - but it appears the only agent who handles NF is Jessica Faust, and she only takes subs on referral now. (http://www.bookends-inc.com/submit.html). Seems like they're focusing solely on fiction now. Thanks for any insight!
JournoWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #390
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
No harm in sending a query, Journo, but they do seem to lean more towards fiction.

ALMOST FINISHED OMG: BROKEN THINGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #391
JournoWriter
Just the facts, please

JournoWriter has a spectacular aura
Yeah, I know they can just ignore it and I'm only out an email, so no skin off my back, but I'm still trying to follow their guidelines and getting confused. They do rep NF, or have in the past, but the agent profiles clearly state they only want specific kinds of fiction.
JournoWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #392
MaraudingDon
Searching for Arthur

MaraudingDon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JournoWriter View Post
Yeah, I know they can just ignore it and I'm only out an email, so no skin off my back, but I'm still trying to follow their guidelines and getting confused. They do rep NF, or have in the past, but the agent profiles clearly state they only want specific kinds of fiction.
Follow the profiles - always. Keep looking for an agent that reps your kind of book.

Good luck!
MaraudingDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #393
ARoyce
Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant

ARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewelARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakeNovelist View Post
Has anyone dealt with Beth Campbell at Bookends? I received a partial request from her based on a query I had sent to Lauren Ruth, and a month later she bumped it up to a full.

It's been less than a month since I sent the full so I may have a while to wait, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any dealings with her. She's been lovely so far and BookEnds is one of my top choices so I am crossing everything!
Jessica Alvarez at BookEnds is my agent (signed with her in August) so the interactions I've had with Beth have been in her capacity as their literary assistant (so contract correspondence, mainly). I dont have any knowledge of her agent role, but I've been a big fan of BookEnds for years and am very happy with Jessica and the agency.

Good luck!!!

Web site ~ Twitter ~ Facebook
ARoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #394
ARoyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraudingDon View Post
Follow the profiles - always. Keep looking for an agent that reps your kind of book.

Good luck!
I agree with Don...

Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #395
ARoyce

Bookends agent Jessica Alvarez will be featured on this month's Agent Shop at MuseTracks on Feb 16!! It's an opportunity for you to pitch your work to her! This link includes more info about her and the pitch process there.

http://musetracks.wordpress.com/2013...-bookends-llc/

Old 02-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #396
brightlyiburn
The Little Aspie That Could

brightlyiburn is well-respected
Does anyone know if Beth Campbell is accepting queries? I can't quite figure it out based on their site.

Dream: My short fantasy story, published in The Lorelei Signal.
brightlyiburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #397
JJPie

JJPie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightlyiburn View Post
Does anyone know if Beth Campbell is accepting queries? I can't quite figure it out based on their site.
Wondering the same thing. I would like to submit to Beth. Any news?
JJPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:11 AM   #398
sandolita
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

sandolita is on a distinguished road
EQ 6 Mar (Jessica Faust)
Full Req 14 Mar

Realised recently there are a few typos in the revised version I sent. They are toward the end, so hopefully by the time she gets to them she'll already be 'sold' and they won't matter!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #399
quacktaculaura

quacktaculaura is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandolita View Post
EQ 6 Mar (Jessica Faust)
Full Req 14 Mar

Realised recently there are a few typos in the revised version I sent. They are toward the end, so hopefully by the time she gets to them she'll already be 'sold' and they won't matter!
Congratulations! I got a full request from her on April 4th. It's turned me into an email junkie. lol
quacktaculaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:14 AM   #400
J.B.Kantt
Aspiring Young Author

J.B.Kantt is on a distinguished road
Good luck sandolita and quacktaculaura!!!

WIW (~70K), TZS (~83K), TSW (~50K), SP (~53K), and ZT (~52K) : Shelved ... For Now

RAR: Currently Querying (~50K words)

ZB: Outlining ... sort of

Stop by my blog sometime!
J.A.Y.A.! (Journey of an Aspiring Young Author)
J.B.Kantt is offline   Reply With Quote