Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
Provrb1810meggy
practical experience, FTW

Provrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for President
Comma after the then?

I'm starting to revise my MG novel, so I'm going to be popping into this forum a lot. I tend to over-comma everything.

Anywho...

When you start a sentence with then, as in Then I go to my first class, is there a comma after then? I've been putting one there, but I'm not sure if it's right.

Help would be appreciated. *cough, cough rep points available cough, cough*

Last edited by Provrb1810meggy; 10-28-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Provrb1810meggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
dawinsor
Dorothy A. Winsor

dawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudge
My Chicago Manual of Style says that introductory phrases usually require a comma BUT a single word or very short phrase doesn't except to avoid misreading. So I'd say you don't need it.
dawinsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
Provrb1810meggy
practical experience, FTW

Provrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for President
Thanks! I like the way it looks better without the comma, so I'll probably get rid of it.

Oh, and does anyone else think there should be a sticky of grammar rules that frequently come up? Hmm, or maybe I should just stop being a cheapskate and buy a grammar book, even though it will give me horrid flashbacks to the most boring ninth grade English class ever.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provrb1810meggy View Post
I'm starting to revise my MG novel, so I'm going to be popping into this forum a lot. I tend to over-comma everything.

Anywho...

When you start a sentence with then, as in Then I go to my first class, is there a comma after then? I've been putting one there, but I'm not sure if it's right.

Help would be appreciated. *cough, cough rep points available cough, cough*
No comma after then by any rule.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
Branwyn
Print release:Sept.1,'09

Branwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputation
I either over comma or under comma.
The Upside of Karma
Branwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:35 AM   #6
precisiontext
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

precisiontext is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My Chicago Manual of Style says that introductory phrases usually require a comma BUT a single word or very short phrase doesn't except to avoid misreading.
What counts as a very short phrase in CMS? What about phrases like:

This morning, I drove to work.

Last night, I had dinner with a friend.

These are short, but I assume they need commas?
precisiontext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:16 AM   #7
dawinsor
Dorothy A. Winsor

dawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by precisiontext View Post
What counts as a very short phrase in CMS? What about phrases like:

This morning, I drove to work.

Last night, I had dinner with a friend.

These are short, but I assume they need commas?
I'm guessing that's a judgment call, but the CMS (15th ed) gives as an example:

On Tuesday he tried to see the mayor.
dawinsor is offline   Reply With Quote