Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2007, 03:45 AM   #76
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Alrighty, folks, I've finished winnowing Publishers; apologies for stirring up so much debris.

I should have the New & Improved Index up by Monday. Last chance for formatting suggestions!

I'll give y'all a breather before I start on Agents, although I expect the trick there will be annotating who has moved/merged with whom without tying things in knots. I must meditate upon this....
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:52 AM   #77
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks so much for all you're doing, Cao. It was kind of mindboggling to see the sheer number of marginal publishers people have asked about here...

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #78
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've been adding [Agent] and [Publisher] tags, but only when it isn't obvious from the name which it is. (That is, if something is called "Banana Press," it doesn't get a tag, nor does it get tagged if it's called "The Crudite Agency." But something called "Andrew Hopscotch" would get tagged.)
Old 10-08-2007, 01:22 AM   #79
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Most welcome, Victoria. My shipment of round tuits finally came in.

Please let me know how the new format works for y'all.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Old 10-30-2007, 09:38 PM   #80
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Fair warning: I'll be taking on the Agent section in a week or two. Last call for formatting suggestions.

Also, start thinking about which Other and Misc. categories are most useful to you, and what you'd like to see changed/added to make things easier to find.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #81
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

*grumble* Well, I was hoping to at least get the dead links culled this morning but I gotta hit the road for Turkey Day at the 'rents. I'll be AFK for a week unless I can 'jack a signal, so try not to burn the place down while I'm not here to fan the flames, 'kay?

Happy Thanksgiving!

*rushes off, leaving lights on and water running*

Old 12-01-2007, 03:38 AM   #82
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

I've finished scrubbing the Agent section. PM me if you find errors.

I'm sloughing off Other and Misc. until the New Year, so keep thinking about categories, etc.

Enjoy!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #83
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thank you, Cao. You're doing heroic work.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Follow me on Twitter

Old 12-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #84
Rolling Thunder
Free.

Rolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow. Amazing work, Cao!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cray View Post
we should probably end it with those sage words.
thank you, artee.
*locks thread*
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #85
June Afternoon

You put Ginger Clark next to Writers House, but she works at Curtis Brown Ltd.

Just a heads up.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #86
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Yup, she moved from Writers House to Curtis Brown. I'll make the change, thanks.

(If y'all could PM me with changes, I'd 'preciate it. Help keep this thread tidy. )

Old 01-09-2008, 11:48 PM   #87
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Happy New Year!

I'll be revamping Others and Misc. next week. Along with general housecleaning, I'm contemplating a full overhaul of the FAQ section (currently Misc.), including titling individual threads like in the PA Index (which I'll get to next, promise). Would y'all find this useful or confusing?

Last edited by CaoPaux; 01-09-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: spelin'
Old 01-10-2008, 01:16 AM   #88
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

It sounds useful to me (and also like a buttload of work). Thanks, Cao.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Follow me on Twitter

Old 01-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #89
jamiehall
Bereaved Snarkling

jamiehall has earned our admirationjamiehall has earned our admirationjamiehall has earned our admirationjamiehall has earned our admiration
And it looks like this thread about a new agency isn't yet indexed (it has almost the same name as an existing agency).
jamiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 AM   #90
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Alrighty, I've reorganized the Other and Misc. sections, as well as updated the Intro post. Please let me know if/how things work for y'all.

(If a Mod wants to boot any of the general threads to Roundtable, etc., just let me know what's moved so I can clear out the links.)

Old 03-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #91
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

I fixed the straight/smart quote SNAFU that screwed some links. Let me know if I missed any.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #92
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

More reformatting to save wear 'n' tear on your scroll wheel. PM me if I gludged anything.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #93
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Derek, as per the first post in this thread, this is NOT the place to ask questions about agents. I split off your first question, and will do the same for this one. Please read the thread before posting again. Thank you.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:05 PM   #94
c2ckim
practical experience, FTW

c2ckim is on a distinguished road
Is there a list of different genre publishers? IE mystery/suspense; romance; ect?
So many publishers, not enough time to check them all out...
Meghan's Legacy- Sept.1, 2009; Shadow Chaser- Jan 2010- Witness- Feb 1, 2010 ;Legacy of Murder- April 2010; Secrets and Lies, July 2010; The Prophet out in Oct- Bucks County Publishing; The Unknown Son- Rogue Phoenix Press- out in Oct.
Avalon Books- No One To Hear You Scream coming out Dec 2010
Web page: www.kjdahlen.com
c2ckim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #95
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2ckim View Post
Is there a list of different genre publishers?
Yes, but it isn't here. Try Writer's Market.

If you're working in a particular genre it would behoove you to become intimately familiar with the publishers in your genre.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 PM   #96
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

As well as the writers' association(s) catering to that genre: the SFWA, MWA, RWA, etc. all have market listings.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #97
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Huh. Sorry about that: fixed.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:38 PM   #98
HapiSofi
Hagiographically Advantaged
AW Moderator

HapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiman View Post
Just to clarify; Diggory Press / Exposure Publishing / Meadow Books is (or was) owned by one Rosalind Miriam Franklin, but it has disappeared off the internet since before Christmas 2008. The 'affiliation' with CheckPoint Press came about when she basically misused a CheckPoint Press ISBN - which in turn has caused a few search engines to automatically presume CheckPoint Press is an imprint of Diggory / Exposure.
She used another publisher's ISBN? You can now see the whites all the way around my eyes. That's a level of gormless villainy I haven't seen since the time Vanna Bonta replaced her novel's copyright page CIP (Cataloguing in Publication) Data with sales copy.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #99
Grandmaster
figuring it all out

Grandmaster is on a distinguished road
I really do hate to complain - especially given the incredible amount of effort you've obviously put in - but I'm kind of colour-blind and the black and the green both look like the same colour for me on that light blue background.
Thankfully there's not a great deal of red as that just plain hurts my eyes!

Anyway, thanks for this reference... I just wish I didn't have to sit so close to the screen, squinting as I read it...
Grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #100
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

'salright, its a law of the 'Net that any given format won't work for everybody.

Have you delved into your browser's advanced settings? Some will display a page with "No Styles", giving you straight black text on white. On Firefox, it's under the View menu --> Page Styles.