Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > AW Bookclub
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #3726
brainstorm77
practical experience, FTW

brainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just finished Neil Gaiman's, The Graveyard Book. It was a terrific fun read!
brainstorm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #3727
JulieHowe
Spent the night with Jack Daniels

JulieHowe has earned our admirationJulieHowe has earned our admirationJulieHowe has earned our admirationJulieHowe has earned our admiration
Currently reading (listening to the audio book edition): Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Meth Addiction.

On the TBR list:

Carpe Diem: Put A Little Latin In Your Life
JulieHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #3728
Satori1977
Listening to the Voices In My Head

Satori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just picked up HP and the Goblet of Fire....and good lord I didn't realize how big this book would be! 734 pages long (about twice what the first three are). And I have several other books I am trying to read.

Richard Castle

Satori1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #3729
MrWrite
On a Classical groove!

Location: There's a classical music concert going on in my head!
MrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I finished The Host last night. Now I'm starting The Pyramid of Doom by Andy McDermott. His fifth novel.

My writing blog:
[http://iwritepsychicwitness.wordpres...1/bittersweet/

My health blog:
https://whitmore77.wordpress.com/201...or-the-better/

I tweet: @PsychicWitness
@4paths2wellness

My website: www.4pathstowellness.com
MrWrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:33 AM   #3730
RobJ
Banned

RobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for President
Just finished Philip Roth's novella, The Breast (not his best work). Just started The Appointment by Herta Muller.
RobJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #3731
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finished Peter Carey's Booker-shortlisted "Parrot and Olivier in America" last night - and honestly it was the most delightful reading I've done in a long, long time! Highly, highly, stratospherically recommended. Really good fun and gorgeous, gorgeous words
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #3732
fringle
always abroad

fringle is a glorious beacon of lightfringle is a glorious beacon of lightfringle is a glorious beacon of light
I'm reading Franzen's Freedom.

twitter
fringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #3733
CaroGirl
Living the dream

CaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #3734
Kitty
weeeeeeeee *thud*

Kitty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Colour Mixing Bible

I forget who wrote it. It's all the way over there and I'm too lazy to get off my butt n find out

"Writers are just closet extroverts. Artists are simply neurotic."

Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #3735
brainstorm77

brainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bag of Bones by Stephen King.
brainstorm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #3736
Zefiris

Zefiris has a spectacular auraZefiris has a spectacular aura
Nine Layers of Sky by Liz Williams

I'm only about 20-30 pages in but I love it already!

My Writing

Steam Queen: Steampunk - Out Now

On Angel's Wings: Children's Fantasy - Out Now!

True Hero?: Superhero - Out Now!

Fire and Fury: Fantasy - Out now!
Zefiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #3737
BenPanced
Stairway to Pittsboigh

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thackeray's Vanity Fair. All 800+ pages. Braise Jeebus it's on my nook.
BenPanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:56 AM   #3738
KyraDune
Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces

KyraDune is a shiny, shiny jewelKyraDune is a shiny, shiny jewel
The Magehound by Elaine Cunnigham
Shadow Of The Dragon:2012 Wild Child YA Fantasy
http://theshadowportal.blogspot.com/
KyraDune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #3739
DoomBunny
Meatbag

DoomBunny is on a distinguished road
Just finished Kraken by China Mieville (disappointing) and Transition by Iain Banks (squee!). Currently rereading House of Leaves and System of the World.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #3740
BenPanced
Stairway to Pittsboigh

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Okay. I stopped Vanity Fair after the introductions and the first chapter because I want to read Growing Up Laughing: My Story and the Story of Funny by Marlo Thomas more.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #3741
S.J.
Addict? I can quit whenever I want!

S.J. is well-respected
I, Claudius - Robert Graves.

I just finished A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian, which was quite funny.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:17 AM   #3742
ResearchGuy
Resident Curmudgeon

ResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic and Baby, on my Kindle. (For all I can remember I read it in hardback a year ago . . . c'est la vie.) Fluff and chic lit at that. And (also on my Kindle), Andrew Bacevich, Washington Rules. (And several others here and there, also neatly tucked into my Kindle.)

Just finished Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy, The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? With 63 pages of endnotes plus 8 pages of bibliography, I think they found their answer.

--Ken
ResearchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #3743
BenPanced
Stairway to Pittsboigh

Just started John Waters' Role Models on my nook. Say what you will about his movies (personally, I love 'em!), but he's a damned good essayist. Not too many out there these days.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #3744
CaroGirl
Living the dream

CaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I stopped reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius to read Paul Quarrington's The Ravine, during which I cried knowing I'd never meet this wonderful writer (had always wanted to). Now it's back to Eggers.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #3745
Calla Lily
On deadline for the next year or so
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchGuy View Post

Just finished Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy, The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? With 63 pages of endnotes

plus 8 pages of bibliography,

I think they found their answer.

--Ken
Just curious: How many pages of actual text?

I'm a John Dominic Crossan gal myself. Love to argue with some of his conclusions. I'm working my way through The First Paul now.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:09 AM   #3746
Phyllo
Still sitting

Phyllo is on a distinguished road
Thigh deep in Snow, by Orhan Pahmuk, and it seems a slog. Wish he'd shovel aside some of the contrivances. Wonder if something got lost in the translation.

Before that, finished the brilliant Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, and Mr. Pip by Lloyd Jones.
Phyllo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:16 AM   #3747
Alan_Often
Swashbuckler

Alan_Often is well-respected
Just finishing Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs, then on to Captain Blood by Sabatini. I'm on an old timey adventure novel kick!

Patrick White
Alan_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:37 AM   #3748
BeatrixKiddo
Is it summer yet???

BeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm a big fan of the Dexter TV series on Showtime so I checked out the books and love them as well. I just finished his latest...Dexter Is Delicious.

I also recently discovered Christopher Moore. I read his It's A Dirty Job book recently. (I really enjoy that type of humor in a book...morbid, with a bit of snark and silly thrown in for good measure)

I like dark humor and these books have been perfect reads
Old 10-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #3749
Tienci
Lost in the Land of Giants

Tienci has a spectacular auraTienci has a spectacular aura
The Handmaid's Tale- Margaret Atwood
Old 10-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #3750
Satori1977
Listening to the Voices In My Head

Satori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
About half way through The Goblet of Fire. Been busy, and it is a big book.

Also reading Why Buffy Matters, a book about the symbolism of the show. Actually quite interesting.

Richard Castle

Satori1977 is offline   Reply With Quote