Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > AW Bookclub
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #3676
Satori1977
Listening to the Voices In My Head

Satori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Still reading Outlander, but needed a break, so I started HP and The Chamber of Secrets.

Richard Castle

Satori1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #3677
LordMoogi
Purveyor of Oddments and Fantasies

LordMoogi is on a distinguished road
I'm about to start The Immortals, the final Edge Chronicles book. I've been reading these books since I was ten years old, and they've aged very well- they're just as good now as they were when I was a kid. In fact, this series actually got me into reading- I read before that, but it was only after encountering these books that reading became more than just something to do. So, I'm really excited to read this.
"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic can not be stopped." -Red Mage, 8-Bit Theater
LordMoogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #3678
Rebekkamaria
Pixie with dust, beware

Rebekkamaria is well-respected
I'm now reading Terry Pratchett's Carpet People.

Just finished Going Postal. Let's see how good this is.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #3679
RobJ
Banned

RobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for President
Just finished Philip Roth's Everyman, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
RobJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #3680
Kyra Wright
Skulduggery and haberdashery

Kyra Wright is on a distinguished road
I just started Ben Sherwood's The Survivors Club.
Kyra Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #3681
MrWrite
On a Classical groove!

Location: There's a classical music concert going on in my head!
MrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just finished Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher. Best Harry Dresden novel yet. I'm about to start White Night, the next in the series.

My new blog:
https://iwritepsychicwitness.wordpre...ink-of-an-eye/

I tweet: @PsychicWitness
@4paths2wellness

My website: www.4pathstowellness.com
MrWrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #3682
BenPanced
Tonight on Mythbusters

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Willa Cather's O, Pioneers! and loving it immensely.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #3683
Noah Body
Entertainment Ronin

Noah Body has a double-platinum reputationNoah Body has a double-platinum reputationNoah Body has a double-platinum reputationNoah Body has a double-platinum reputationNoah Body has a double-platinum reputationNoah Body has a double-platinum reputationNoah Body has a double-platinum reputation
Just finished some girlie book called Mob Rules by AW's own GregB.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #3684
larocca
Michael LaRocca

larocca is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslarocca is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslarocca is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslarocca is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslarocca is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslarocca is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslarocca is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslarocca is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslarocca is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslarocca is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslarocca is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nothing. I moved from Thailand to Vietnam a few weeks ago and all my stuff's still in Customs. I should be reading again this weekend, but until then either I write my own novel or edit somebody else's.
larocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #3685
T.N. Tobias
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

T.N. Tobias is on a distinguished road
Freedom by Jonathen Franzen
Common as Air by Lewis Hyde
Don't Know Much about History by Ken Davis (audio)

Next up:
Towing Jehovah by James Morrow
Proofiness by Charles Seife
Nights of Villjamur by Mark Charan Newton (audio)
T.N. Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #3686
MrWrite
On a Classical groove!

Location: There's a classical music concert going on in my head!
MrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm reading The Host by Stephanie Meyer. I know her Twilight saga has been relentlessly savaged on this site and I'll never read the series, mostly because I'm nowhere near their target audience, but The Host is pretty readable. A good story and relatively few adverbs.

My new blog:
https://iwritepsychicwitness.wordpre...ink-of-an-eye/

I tweet: @PsychicWitness
@4paths2wellness

My website: www.4pathstowellness.com
MrWrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #3687
wyntermoon
It all started with a little boo...

wyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswyntermoon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm reviewing The Essential Guide to Getting Your Book Published by Arielle Eckstut and David Henry Sterry for Workman Publishing. I started it last night and it's the cat's meow.

I'll be hosting a giveaway for the book on my blog next month, stay tuned!
wyntermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #3688
ResearchGuy
Resident Curmudgeon

ResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Philip Jenkins, Jesus Wars.

Andrew Bacevich, Washington Rules (so far, I've had my Kindle reading it to me in its funky computer voice).

Bart Ehrman, God's Problem.

Isabel Wikerson, The Warmth of Other Suns (queued up on the Kindle; it is some 700 pages, and I need to be ready to stick with it).

I'm dipping into several others on my Kindle. (Best thing since sliced bread, that Kindle.)

Queued up in print edition, Sinclair Lewis's Kingsblood Royal. (Library book, so can't dawdle too long.)

Finished The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking and co-author Leonard Mlodinow yesterday. Probably should re-read much of that.

--Ken

Last edited by ResearchGuy; 09-24-2010 at 09:10 PM.
ResearchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #3689
Camilla Delvalle
Dreaming of other times

Camilla Delvalle has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by larocca View Post
Nothing. I moved from Thailand to Vietnam a few weeks ago and all my stuff's still in Customs. I should be reading again this weekend, but until then either I write my own novel or edit somebody else's.
It's good to be a writer sometimes. If we don't have a book to read it's just to write one.
Camilla Delvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #3690
KyraDune
Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces

KyraDune is a shiny, shiny jewelKyraDune is a shiny, shiny jewel
Stranger With My Face - Lois Duncan
Shadow Of The Dragon:2012 Wild Child YA Fantasy
http://theshadowportal.blogspot.com/
KyraDune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #3691
oneblindmouse
Small fry

oneblindmouse should run for Presidentoneblindmouse should run for Presidentoneblindmouse should run for Presidentoneblindmouse should run for Presidentoneblindmouse should run for Presidentoneblindmouse should run for President
Just finished "The fourth bear" by Jasper Fforde, which was a great laugh, and probably about to read "Waiting for the barbarians" by J.M. Coetzee, which I've been looking for for ages and finally found this morning.

Goodreads
oneblindmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 PM   #3692
roseangel
Crazy Young Cat Lady

roseangel is on a distinguished road
I just finished the second Septimus Heap book and am going to start on the third.
And also the second book in the Araminya Spookie searies, the second Dresden Files book and the first Percy Jackson book are on my to-be-read list.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #3693
R.M. Watts
dead account

R.M. Watts is on a distinguished road
I'm actually (slowly) reading Dune by Frank Herbert right now. Mainly picked it because my Ethics professor wants us to write a term paper on the morals in the novel. It'll be interesting, to say the least.
R.M. Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #3694
brainstorm77
practical experience, FTW

brainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Unwanted by John Saul. But I am going to stop. The storyline is just like the rest of his books and the writing itself, grates my nerves.
brainstorm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #3695
brainstorm77
practical experience, FTW

brainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Darkness on the Edge of Town by Brian Keene.
brainstorm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #3696
CaroGirl
Living the dream

CaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Last night I finished reading the IKEA catalogue...oh, I mean The Girl Who Played with Fire.

Now I'm reading The Death of Donna Whalen by Michael Winter. It's a true-crime, non-fiction novel type of thing. But it's a library Express read, so I'd better get cracking!!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #3697
ResearchGuy
Resident Curmudgeon

ResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sinclair Lewis's Kingsblood Royal (1947 novel). Sizzling, scathing, incendiary satire/social commentary. And still relevant.

--Ken
ResearchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:05 AM   #3698
Button
Resident in Question

Button is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Free Agent Nation - Daniel Pink
April Shadows - V C Andrews
Faerie Wars - Herbie Brennan

Listening to:

The Hobbit
Broken - Kelley Armstrong
The Subtle Knife - Pullman

Yes, I read more than one book at a time.

Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:06 AM   #3699
Button
Resident in Question

Button is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeButton is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseangel View Post
I just finished the second Septimus Heap book and am going to start on the third.
And also the second book in the Araminya Spookie searies, the second Dresden Files book and the first Percy Jackson book are on my to-be-read list.
I loved Bartimaeus.

Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #3700
Satori1977
Listening to the Voices In My Head

Satori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finished Chamber of Secrets, and now starting Prisoner of Azkaban. Also rereading Misery by Stephen King. Read it as a kid, and it really freaked me out (had to skip over parts). Now that I am much older, I want to give it another try.

Richard Castle

Satori1977 is offline   Reply With Quote