Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #626
mccleark
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

mccleark is on a distinguished road
Ginger Clark tweeted this morning that she was caught up on her queries sent as of 11:59 pm EST 11/28/11.

I queried her 11/29. Guess I'm in the next batch!
mccleark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #627
sb2brown
figuring it all out

sb2brown is on a distinguished road
In case anyone is wondering about response times, just thought I'd share. The author I've been ghostwriting for sent an e-query to Katherine Fausset on 10/27/11. He received a rejection from her assistant on 11/16/11, stating Ms. Fausset is taking on very few new projects at this time.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #628
carefulwithwords
practical experience, FTW

carefulwithwords is on a distinguished road
sb2brown, love your siggy and thanks for the info.

FYI: My "handle" carefulwithwords is not so much of a reflection of my personality as it is a reminder to myself to try to reign my personality in.
carefulwithwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #629
Jamiekswriter
The 1st Rule of Write Club: Write!

Jamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admiration
FYI, if you were thinking of subbing to Sarah LaPolla, she tweeted this the other day:

"Writers: Still no vampires, werewolves, angels, or zombies please! Disenchanted w/ paranormal in general (YA & adult), so query w/ caution."
http://www.amazon.com/Longing-Infern...1063872&sr=1-1
Fever: Club Inferno book 3 -- Coming March 2015 from Loveswept
Shifting Currents by Lissa Trevor
Triad by Lissa Trevor -- Coming October 28, 2014 from LooseId
Jamiekswriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #630
lauralam
Moonshade

lauralam is a glorious beacon of lightlauralam is a glorious beacon of light
I've had rejections from both Ginger Clark (no response) and Sarah LaPolla (just above form). Alas.

False Hearts - A near-future thriller - January 2016 - Tor/Macmillan

YA GLBT gaslight fantasy:
Pantomime - February 5/7 2013 - Strange Chemistry Books
Shadowplay - January 2/4 2014 - Strange Chemistry Books
Micah Grey #3 - 2015 - Penglass Publishing

Vestigial Tales - Self-published short stories/novellas.

Website / Twitter / Goodreads
lauralam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #631
lyrwriter
A Fuzzy Mango With Wings

lyrwriter is on a distinguished road
Just dropping in to mention that Ginger Clark tweeted on 4/9/12 that she is caught up on all equeries up through 4/2/12 and on all but two requested materials up through 3/11/12.
lyrwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #632
Taylor

Taylor is well-respected
Resume?

I came across this on Curtis Brown's website:

"Curtis Brown represents adult and children’s authors of all genres, including illustrators. If you would like to submit a manuscript or proposal, please send us a query letter, a synopsis of the work, a sample chapter and a brief resume."

What should I put on the resume? I've never heard of needing a resume for querying. Help is much appreciated!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #633
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've always assumed it meant "author bio." So, include publication credits, schooling (maybe, I've never included it), what you do for a living (if appropriate to what you write), hobbies (if appropriate to what you write), any connection you have to the media.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 04-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #634
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
I came across this on Curtis Brown's website:

"Curtis Brown represents adult and children’s authors of all genres, including illustrators. If you would like to submit a manuscript or proposal, please send us a query letter, a synopsis of the work, a sample chapter and a brief resume."

What should I put on the resume? I've never heard of needing a resume for querying. Help is much appreciated!
I'd suggest not doing this at all... you'll get a better response from querying the agents directly (one at a time). Check out their bios in the agent section for their individual submission preferences. I don't recall any of them asking for a resume.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #635
Richard White
Writer Beware's Faithful Igor

Richard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for President
The resume might be tied to the non-fiction proposal (i.e., why should we believe you're qualified to write about the perils of using dish soap to clean old nitroglycerine bottles (for an extreme example)).

Although, I would have assumed that would naturally be part of the proposal like writing credits are in the query letter . . .
Richard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #636
rac
figuring it all out

rac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard White View Post
The resume might be tied to the non-fiction proposal (i.e., why should we believe you're qualified to write about the perils of using dish soap to clean old nitroglycerine bottles (for an extreme example)).

Although, I would have assumed that would naturally be part of the proposal like writing credits are in the query letter . . .
What they're looking for is what is called a writer's "platform." Publishing houses look for credentials such as specific expertise, public recognition, etc. authors have that will help sell a book. It makes sense for nonfiction, but unless they've won prestigious awards for writing, I don't know how it would apply to novelists or poets. I agree with the others: it's better to contact a specific agent at Curtis Brown.
rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #637
Sara007

Sara007 is on a distinguished road
E-queried Sarah LaPolla (with first 5 pages as she requests) on 5-2-12 and received a form R today (5-12-12). A 10-day turnaround is pretty good, I think (though of course a 10-day turnaround with good news would be better
Sara007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #638
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
Sorry to hear about the R, Sara, but good luck querying!

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson
Smiley0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #639
WriteStarfish

WriteStarfish is on a distinguished road
Time for Partial from Maureen Walters

Does anyone have experience with Maureen Walters and if so, how long did it take her to review your requested partial? Thanks!
WriteStarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #640
lemonhead
Life isn't all beer and skittles.

lemonhead is a glorious beacon of lightlemonhead is a glorious beacon of light
I had a request for a full from Anna Webman back in Jan. and I haven't heard anything since. I emailed her like two weeks ago just to make sure it had reached her, but didn't hear anything back from that either.
I'm guessing it's a rejection, but since it was a request for a full, I'm really hoping I get a courtesy rejection email...Anyone know her response times or what I should do next?
I don't want to keep bugging her...but now I'm also worried nothing's reached her since the original email (which seems kind of ridiculous)

No man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.
-C.S. Lewis
Tumblr thing
Twitter
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #641
JoyMC

JoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admiration
OMG trying not to hyperventilate - Sent a hard copy query + 10 to Ginger Knowlton on 4/24 and just got a FULL REQUEST!!! She also requested via snail mail, though said I could email the full. She asked for a one month exclusive if possible, but I have other fulls out.

This was totally one of those what the hell I might as well try queries that I NEVER expected to pay off. Aaaaaaaaaaah!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #642
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
Wow, Joy, good luck!

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson
Smiley0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #643
A.P.M.

A.P.M. is well-respected
Does anyone happen to know if this agency is a "rejection from one is a rejection from all?" type? I can't seem to find any information pertaining to that on the website.

Newest Books:

Erotic shorts:
A.P.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #644
WriteStarfish

WriteStarfish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.P.M. View Post
Does anyone happen to know if this agency is a "rejection from one is a rejection from all?" type? I can't seem to find any information pertaining to that on the website.
Not in my experience. I currently have a partial out with one agent that another agent at CB passed on the query. They have different preferences and in my experience seem to work independently. Good Luck!
WriteStarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #645
DahlELama

DahlELama has a spectacular aura
FYI to anyone waiting on Sarah LaPolla's responses to requested material - she tweeted this morning that she's caught up on requested material through April 23rd.

Behind the Scenes (Spencer Hill Contemporary) - June 24, 2014
Under the Lights (Spencer Hill Contemporary) - June 30, 2015
My Name is Everett (Spencer Hill Contemporary) - November 17, 2015

My Blog
My Twitter

Rep'd by Lana Popovic/ZSH
DahlELama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #646
dancing-drama
Bad influence extraordinaire.

dancing-drama is on a distinguished road
Sarah Lapolla tweeted this earlier:
Quote:
Stats: I've answered all queries sent before 7/13 & all requested material sent before 6/19. If you didn't receive a reply, please re-send.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #647
tessa

tessa is on a distinguished road
Laura Blake Peterson

Does anyone know if LBP is properly addressed as Ms. Peterson or Ms. Blake Peterson? Her assistant requested a partial and I want to be prepared if (fingers crossed) I hear from LBP herself.

Thanks!

Tessa
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #648
Anna L.

Anna L. has a spectacular aura
Ginger Clark
Query: April 11
Partial request: May 2
Full request: May 21
Full sent: June 1 (I let her know I was about to finish a R&R so she opted to wait for the new version.)
Rejection: July 24

She did say she liked it a lot and wanted to see my next project.
The Fox's God
Anna L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #649
centurion51

centurion51 is on a distinguished road
Greetings from a first time poster. I submitted a query letter, sample chapter and synopsis on June 22 along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to the Query Department (no one in particular) at Curtis Brown Ltd. in New York City. The note on their Submission Guidelines webpage states they typically respond in 6 to 8 weeks. Has anyone found that to be an accurate estimate? I am at the almost-seven week mark and getting antsy watching the daily mail. Thanks.

Nick
centurion51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #650
CatherineGreen

CatherineGreen is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have experience with Laura Blake Peterson? Does she always respond? I queried 8/29 and haven't heard anything. Is it time to give up? Shame, she seemed like a great fit.
CatherineGreen is offline   Reply With Quote