Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #601
Samara Jensen
practical experience, FTW

Samara Jensen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunderful View Post
Samara - I totally know how you feel! I have gotten so many personalized rejections on fulls and almost every single one has said something completely different that they didn't like or want revised - and every single one said I was an "extremely talented writer" or that my work had "beautiful turns of phrase" etc. One didn't like the dialogue. Another didn't like the plot. Another said the plot was fabulous but the main character was lacking. Another said the main character was amazing but the supporting character needed work. Another said the supporting character is amazing but the main character needs work. At a certain point you are like, WTF???

I'm sorry. It's not funny at all, but this really made me laugh! I can definitely relate to this. I've had the same problem with my last two manuscripts. I was hoping this one would be different, but it seems there's no pleasing some people...
Samara Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #602
Samara Jensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeysock View Post
Samara, I've done almost too many revise-and-re-submits to count. None of them ended in offers of rep. One of the revisions I really really didn't want to do, but I so loved the agent--30+ years in the biz, numerous big-time authors --I went ahead and did it. For that one, I ended up getting . . . (the memory's still oh-so-fresh and painful) . . . a two-line form rejection on the revision. The agent had just changed agencies and wasn't taking on any new authors at that time.
That's awful! There's nothing worse than form rejections on fulls - especially fulls revised to order! I've done a couple of revisions and resubmits in the past (on other manuscripts) and it's gotten me nowhere. Once I've revised everything an agent asked me to revise, they've always managed to find some other reason why the novel doesn't work for them. I'm hoping that the right agent will be one who likes my work enough to want to work on revisions with me - and that those revisions won't completely alter the structure of my work!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #603
Samara Jensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
Samara
I received that same reply for Ms. Lapolla back in September. She was on the fence about my novel. She loved the suspense, the characters, the plot but in the end she felt it needed a major rewrite into something I never intended it to be. (This was after a short revise she suggested to help the pace of the book)
I thought for weeks about the rewrite and disappointment. In the end I decided to listen to my gut and have not done the rewrite because even after doing months of work (which I'm not afraid to do) she still may not have offered to rep me. To this day I am grateful for her input and feed back but it is an awful feeling getting so far and then being turned down. It's even harder watching other writers getting representation while still reworking their book with the agent
You are not alone.
I know what I've written is good and it's the story I wanted to tell. Someday an agent will feel the same why.

Big Bear
Thanks Big Bear!

I have nothing but nice things to say about Sarah LaPolla. She's given me some great feedback and has been great at communicating with me. But in the end, as much as she praised my writing, she obviously didn't love it enough to want to take a risk on it as it stands. And I can't take a risk at the moment that by rewriting it, I'll get an offer of rep from her. I just don't have the time to rewrite this novel and work on my new WIP and the new WIP has to come first right now!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:41 AM   #604
Chocolate Potato

Chocolate Potato is on a distinguished road
I just got a partial request from Ginger Clark! She represents Patricia Wrede, one of my favorite authors from childhood! For those of you who want stats, not exclamation marks, the timing looks like this:

E-query: 1 July 2011
Request for first 50 pages: 18 July 2011

Yay!
Chocolate Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #605
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Go, Chocolate Potato! Ginger Clark is one the agents I'd love to query, as soon as I'm out of publishing limbo. Do keep us posted on your progress.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #606
Chocolate Potato

Chocolate Potato is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
Go, Chocolate Potato! Ginger Clark is one the agents I'd love to query, as soon as I'm out of publishing limbo. Do keep us posted on your progress.
Publishing limbo? Sounds scary (or dull)...

Thanks, Filagree, and I'll let you guys know what happens.
Chocolate Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #607
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Publishing limbo is terrifying. And dull. At least when I was querying and getting rejections bounced off my nose, I could trudge on to the next name on my list. Because I'm contractually bound to give a publisher right of first refusal, and they're taking their time, I'm stuck finishing up other projects. And I don't have an agent yet, which gives me a little more heartburn.

Ah, well, at least I get to watch other people's progress.

Good luck with Ginger, and may she love your partial!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #608
flygal716
Jump in the way of good luck

flygal716 is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

Has anyone here queried/worked with Laura Blake Peterson or Mitchell Waters at CB? I've written a mystery, and note that both agents are interested in that genre. I'm wondering which one to query first and appreciate any and all experiences by the AW crowd out there.

Thanks much! (first post here at the water cooler)
flygal716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:45 PM   #609
Louisa

Louisa is on a distinguished road
have a look: http://misssnarksfirstvictim.blogspo...h-getzler.html
Louisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #610
Giant Baby
Oh, the humanity.

Giant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for President
Was this a mis-link, Louisa? Josh has never worked at Curtis Brown.
Atria/Infinite Words

..Bower Lewis
website | facebook
. .......twitter

Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle
Giant Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #611
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Also, that contest was back in 2009.
Parametric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #612
Krista G.
AW Addict

Krista G. is well-respected
I held a query-and-first-page contest last week that was judged by Sarah LaPolla. If you'd like to check out the entries - and especially Ms. LaPolla's feedback on those entries - here's the link:

http://motherwrite.blogspot.com/2011_07_01_archive.html

www.kristavandolzer.com
Krista G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #613
PhotoHutch
figuring it all out

PhotoHutch is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

Their website states to send snail mail queries to the generic "Query Department", but I've noticed that many of you have sent to specific agents via snail mail. Query tracker claims the individual agents I'm thinking about (G. Knowlton and L B Peterson) both accept snail mail queries. Any suggestions, do I send it generic, addressed to the agent of choice, or to Query Department and Dear Ms So and So?

Thanks!
PhotoHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #614
Krista G.
AW Addict

Krista G. is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoHutch View Post
Hi all,

Their website states to send snail mail queries to the generic "Query Department", but I've noticed that many of you have sent to specific agents via snail mail. Query tracker claims the individual agents I'm thinking about (G. Knowlton and L B Peterson) both accept snail mail queries. Any suggestions, do I send it generic, addressed to the agent of choice, or to Query Department and Dear Ms So and So?

Thanks!
I'd pick one and personalize your query as much as possible. Then, if that agent passes, you can wait a few months and try the other agent at the agency (again, with as much personalization as possible, just so they don't think you're firing shotgun rounds). I don't believe Curtis Brown is one of those a-no-from-one-of-us-is-a-no-from-all kind of agencies.

Best of luck!

www.kristavandolzer.com
Krista G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #615
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Chocolate Potato, did you ever hear back on your partial to Ginger Clark?

I got permission from Del Rey to shop my mms to other agents and editors in mid-August, and queried Ginger on August 24. Since she usually gets back to people within a few weeks, I've counted this one as a rejection.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #616
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
Chocolate Potato, did you ever hear back on your partial to Ginger Clark?

I got permission from Del Rey to shop my mms to other agents and editors in mid-August, and queried Ginger on August 24. Since she usually gets back to people within a few weeks, I've counted this one as a rejection.
She's a no response=no on queries. However, she always tweets her query review status.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #617
Tasmin21
Coming July 8th!

Tasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It should also be noted that the Frankfurt Book Fair is taking place right now, and a good number of agents are over there, and as such may be behind on their normal response times.
MMwD: 20,130/80,000
Tasmin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #618
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
FYI, her last query status tweet said:

Quote:
Authors: I am caught up on emailed queries sent before 11:59 PM EDT on 9/30. I won't look at queries until I'm back from Frankfurt on 10/17.

OUT NOW! Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
amergina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 AM   #619
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Thanks, that answers my question. I'll keep her in mind for another project, if I'm still unagented by then.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:10 AM   #620
mario_c
Look deep into her brain...

mario_c is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmario_c is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmario_c is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmario_c is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmario_c is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmario_c is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmario_c is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmario_c is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmario_c is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmario_c is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmario_c is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This may be a dumb question, but does anyone have contact info for Holly Frederick? She's in film literary. You can rep or PM me, and the world will only know your awesomeness.
mario_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #621
MttStrn
Action is my reward..that and bacon

MttStrn is on a distinguished road
So I have a question and a dilemma that I hope some people might be able to help me with.

I queried Sarah LaPolla a while back and heard nothing back. She then tweeted that she was caught up on queries until a certain date and that if you had not heard back re-send. I resent and pretty much the same thing happened. Another tweet to resend if no response. I normally would not care too much but based on her tweeting and what I have been able too gather she might be perfect for my book. I thought that maybe my query was getting eaten by a spam filter although there are no attachments so I resent one more time through another email address. Yet again, no response. She seems to have a responds to all queries policy so I am trying to figure out what to do.

Should I try and query again? Using another non-gmail account. Should I just write it off? Any advice would be great.
MttStrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #622
PamHarris81
New kid, be gentle!

PamHarris81 is on a distinguished road
Hello MttStrn,

I'm represented by Sarah, and she always, ALWAYS responds to queries--even if it's a rejection. I know that she's running a little behind due to the recent holiday, but she usually takes around 2-4 weeks to respond to queries. Again, she may not have had a chance to get to your 2nd query yet due to Thanksgiving. Hang in there--I'm sure she'll get to you soon.
PamHarris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #623
MttStrn

Thanks for responding. That's the thing, after my second query, she tweeted that she was caught up past the date that I sent it. So I sent a third from a different account and yet again she tweeted that she was caught up past the date that I sent it.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #624
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
Did you add her email address to your contacts? Maybe *her* emails are getting caught in *your* spam filter.

If not, then I have no idea. Sarah is usually really good about responding. I've queried her twice in the past and never had an issue.

You're sending to the correct email address too, right? (just double-checking because I'm baffled otherwise)

Lydia Sharp
YA author represented by Laura Bradford
editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
frequently on Twitter

Lydia Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #625
MttStrn

All of that has been checked and checked again , which is why I'm so baffled and posted here. Unfortunately, I think I'm just going to have to let it go. I just don't want to.

Thanks to all who responded.