Supervisor Demoted for Referring to Jungle Bunny Music

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
http://www.nbc4.com/news/13537576/detail.html

A supervisor in the code enforcement office of Baltimore county (Maryland) is appealing her demotion. She was demoted because a white employee was listening to a Journey song on the radio, and the supervisor told her to turn it down because she didn't want to listen to "their jungle bunny music." She also gestured to two black co-workers as she said that.
:Wha:

In her appeal, the supervisor claimed that she didn't realize it was a racially offensive term. She said she used that term because the song reminded her of "the Energizer bunny, loud and obnoxious with noisy, banging cymbals."

First, what an idiot. Second (and this is what really struck me), a Journey song?!
:roll:

Who on earth would object to a Journey song? Did she think it was a rap song or something? :ROFL: Talk about ignorance. Come on! I have an opera singer avatar, and yet even I know that Journey about as far from rap (or whatever) as you can get.

*AnneMarble wanders off singing "Don't Stop Believin'."

ETA:
Oh, and although the article didn't mention this, there are allegations that this supervisor had asked the white co-worker (a new employee who had been there only a few days) to "keep an eye on" her African-American co-workers, who had been there longer. Niiiice.

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:D And color me 'old'.....I have not heard that term in like....50 years. (gives you an idea how old I might be)

sigh............

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:D And color me 'old'.....I have not heard that term in like....50 years. (gives you an idea how old I might be)

sigh............
And yet the article says she's 42.

Yikes. She's one year younger than me. Most people in my age group have heard of Journey as the band was popular when we were going to high school, college, etc.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
And yet the article says she's 42.

Yikes. She's one year younger than me. Most people in my age group have heard of Journey as the band was popular when we were going to high school, college, etc.
Junggle Bungies? Man, she's wacked!

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Seems to me that someone will find anything offensive these days....when are people going to grow a pair and shut up? **sheesh** I find things offensive but don't cause trouble over it.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Seems to me that someone will find anything offensive these days....when are people going to grow a pair and shut up?
I've run into a lot of cases where I thought people were being overly sensitive, but from what I've heard of the case, I don't think this is one of them. Also, it sounds as though the delivery was part of the problem. She didn't just say it, she pointed and probably said it in an obnoxious way. It's possible they could have just talked it out with her, but I doubt there'd be much reasoning with a 42-year-old woman who thinks Journey is "jungle bunny" music. :rolleyes:

**sheesh** I find things offensive but don't cause trouble over it.
But if the supervisor is saying things like that, you have to wonder how she runs her office. Sometimes people have to say something because otherwise, they'll end up with a hostile workplace. Sometimes you gotta make a fuss.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would object most strenuously to Journey music.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Seems to me that someone will find anything offensive these days....when are people going to grow a pair and shut up? **sheesh** I find things offensive but don't cause trouble over it.

Wait, before I respond further, are you saying the employees who objected to the phrase "jungle bunny' should grow a pair and shut up, or the supervisor who complained about Journey music?

Obviously, no one should ever be forced to listen to Journey. It's an assault on one's civil rights.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Last edited:

MMcC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maureenmccarrie.blogspot.com
I had a cranky old wench glare at me as I sat in the drive through line at Starbucks with my window down. She said I should turn down my radio since "not everyone likes that getto trash."

The artist playing? Billy Joel.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a cranky old wench glare at me as I sat in the drive through line at Starbucks with my window down. She said I should turn down my radio since "not everyone likes that getto trash."

The artist playing? Billy Joel.
Hmm... The original Ghetto was the Jewish sector of Venice, IIRC. She could've been aiming for the driest of dry humour.

Hey, you haven't seen Medievalist in your part of town, have you?

(This all blows up in my face if Billy Joel is a goy.)

Deleted member 42

Hmm... The original Ghetto was the Jewish sector of Venice, IIRC. She could've been aiming for the driest of dry humour.

Hey, you haven't seen Medievalist in your part of town, have you?

(This all blows up in my face if Billy Joel is a goy.)

He's kosher dude :D

MMcC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maureenmccarrie.blogspot.com
It was, ironically, River of Dreams.

She was about a million years old and appeared to have tried to suck superglue through a straw, succeeding in freezing her wrinkles in an indefinite pucker centered around her mouth. It was a bit like an overstarched, grey napkin had been picked up, turned over, and left in an eternal crumple with a butt-like hole at the center.

too graphic??

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Heheh. This reminds me of Clerks II when Randal tries to reclaim 'Jungle Bunny'. Absolutely hilarious.

Trying to reclaim it's hilarious, that is; that supervisor sounds like a friggin' cracker-assed cracker.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Heheh. This reminds me of Clerks II when Randal tries to reclaim 'Jungle Bunny'. Absolutely hilarious.

Trying to reclaim it's hilarious, that is; that supervisor sounds like a friggin' cracker-assed cracker.

That's not the phrase he was trying to "reclaim." All I'll say is that it involved porches and simians.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
The supervisor said she also didn't understand the outrage directed at her when she recently attended a local high school track and field competition and referred to an African-American javelin star as "one hell of a spear-chucker".

"I meant it as a compliment," she said.