Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #9876
euclid
Where did I put me specs?

euclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admiration
Jim, I tried reading my book out loud, but it sounded no different than it does when I just read it. (When I read I verbalize in my mind; I know some people don't). Anyway, I think that's not going to work in my case.

Re talking to the characters: I get each character to write a few paragraphs about themselves. That seems to work well.

Last edited by euclid; 08-20-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #9877
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Do you pause for breath when you verbalize in your mind? Does unconscious alliteration leap out at you? Does the repetition of certain words and phrases become obvious to you?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #9878
euclid

euclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admiration
All right already! I'll try it again.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #9879
Blue Sky
practical experience, FTW

Blue Sky is on a distinguished road
Jim, as a fly on the wall, I hope your playing and having fun as a pro writer figures prominently in any writing book you decide to publish. Your straight talk about having to continually write new material in order to pay bills and so forth knocks the false expectations away without elaboration.

Along those lines, I recently read If You Want to Write by Brenda Ueland. She understood the creative process quite well. Most highly recommended for folks wrestling with the Muse! Another one recently was The Spooky Art--Some Thoughts On Writing by Norman Mailer. He says the book leans toward advanced writers--not much basic "how to." Mailer shares a lot from his interesting perspective. He was certainly a successful writer with two Pulitzer Prizes as well. Fun when he looks back and pans his earlier work, including The Naked and the Dead, his mega-seller debut novel. I've started reading some of his recommendations, among them Hemmingway's In Our Time and Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer. Yowsa!

Welcome back Steve. Great job at the writing.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #9880
Neversage
Part of the Scenery

Neversage is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsarber View Post
17 days in the hospital, major surgery where they removed the entire lower lobe of my right lung, and parts of the other two lobes. Still, I wrote 2001 words on my novel... so, is that having my priorities in order, or just insanity?
Good sir, that is--as we say in the gaming world--full of win. I am glad you are back, and hope you make a full recovery in a timely manner.

One of the reasons Never writes is because reality often bores him.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:04 AM   #9881
HConn
Whore for genre

HConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admiration
Quote:
17 days in the hospital, major surgery where they removed the entire lower lobe of my right lung, and parts of the other two lobes. Still, I wrote 2001 words on my novel... so, is that having my priorities in order, or just insanity?
Note to self: Lack of coffee is no longer an acceptable excuse for an unproductive day.

Book 2 in the Twenty Palaces series: GAME OF CAGES. or check out these sample chapters.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 AM   #9882
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I long-ago decided that when I stopped having fun doing anything that I'd stop doing it that same day.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:03 AM   #9883
Ken Schneider
Absolute sagebrush

Ken Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HConn View Post
Note to self: Lack of coffee is no longer an acceptable excuse for an unproductive day.
I gave up coffee and soda when my fingers moved faster when I wasn't typing.

Back to busniess, and a question.

When editing a finished ms.

I keep saying as I read, I need to expand on this It should have more info.

Is that bad, and should I be cutting instead of adding?

Last edited by Ken Schneider; 08-21-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:58 AM   #9884
lucidzfl
Back from the dead

lucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5bcarnies View Post
That you can type really fast. hehe
lol fair enough. I'm not upset at my 140 wpm, 99% accuracy typing
Old 08-21-2009, 06:30 AM   #9885
Salis
You Lie!

Salis is a shiny, shiny jewelSalis is a shiny, shiny jewel
I can type very fast, but there's no way I can do 3,000 words in a sitting consistently. I envy that.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #9886
Chris Grey
Vagrant Story

Chris Grey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
I long-ago decided that when I stopped having fun doing anything that I'd stop doing it that same day.
If only that worked for paying bills, filing taxes, and going to the dentist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salis
I can type very fast, but there's no way I can do 3,000 words in a sitting consistently. I envy that.
I think it all depends on how long the sitting is. If you forbid yourself to unsit until 3000 words are written, you'll find ways to make those words appear faster or you'll go crazy. Nobody said they had to be printworthy (that's what revision is for).
That star is you, and the song is yours.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:21 AM   #9887
lucidzfl
Back from the dead

lucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salis View Post
For what its worth, I've set myself a very explicit schedule of

Plan one day,
Write the next.

I literally take one full day to nothing but think about what I'm going to write, and figure out whats going to happen. The next day I write it.

I may write 3000-5000 in a sitting but its every other day.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #9888
Elidibus
Over 9000!!!!!!!

Elidibus has a spectacular aura
Quote:
The advice in here just keeps getting better and better! I love this place!

:-)

Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #9889
Akuma
Rare Writer Pokemon

Akuma has earned our admirationAkuma has earned our admirationAkuma has earned our admirationAkuma has earned our admiration
Quote:
It's all right, officer, Uncle Jim endorsed this gross string of hedonism.

Me? Write pokemon erotica? Surely you've mistaken me for someone else. . .

"'That’s it, Akuma,' the video game murmurs. 'We love you long time.'

'Squirtle, squirtle.' Whispers the young man."

--Rllgthunder

WIP:
Green Queen -- 44, 255 words.

Sin War -- 108, 603 words.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #9890
HConn
Whore for genre

HConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Schneider View Post
I generally add more than I cut.

Book 2 in the Twenty Palaces series: GAME OF CAGES. or check out these sample chapters.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #9891
lucidzfl
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Grey View Post
If only that worked for paying bills, filing taxes, and going to the dentist!

I think it all depends on how long the sitting is. If you forbid yourself to unsit until 3000 words are written, you'll find ways to make those words appear faster or you'll go crazy. Nobody said they had to be printworthy (that's what revision is for).
I definitely do not force myself to sit there until the words appear.

I actually will typically start writing and then force myself to stop because I either need to eat, or I feel guilty about ignoring my wife, etc etc.

It just so happens that I usually take about 2 hours to write. And that produces 2,000 to 3,000 words.

I could probably write all day if the wine held out
Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #9892
euclid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Schneider View Post
When editing a finished ms.

I keep saying as I read, I need to expand on this It should have more info.

Surely, that depends on lots of factors. If expansion is required, expand, where reduction is advisable, reduce. There can't be a simple answer to this question. My current rewrite/edit resulted in the following words added/subtracted from Jul 19 onwards: 1495, 1472, -346, 149, -40, -269, 4, 570, 259, 62, 105, -411, -158, 0, 205, 266, 401, -76, -238, -1378, -2531, 2112, 359, -105 etc.

You get the idea!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #9893
Me&BacchusGoIntoABar

Me&BacchusGoIntoABar is on a distinguished road
Unc Jim and friends,

I love my thesaurus because I love every little word in my WIP. I always take Thesaurius with me on my daily journey to nowhere with butt-in-chair (BIC). Should I go alone? Tell him I gotta fly solo when I'm amassing a first draft? Is my best friend dragging me down? Should we break up?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #9894
RJK
Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:

RJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputation
I only use the thesaurus when I've found I've repeated a word too close to the first occurrence. I don't bother changing the word until I begin my editing process. Occasionally, I will use it to replace a word to make the sentence stronger or make it stand out, but, again, during the editing process. I can't remember when I last reached for it while writing the first draft.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #9895
Krintar

Krintar is well-respected
I frequently use a thesaurus or dictionary, regardless of which stage of the writing I'm in.
This is because I frequently have a sense that "there is a word which fits perfectly here, but it's hiding on the edge of memory."
If it takes more than a minute or two to find the word, though, I tend to just throw [] in the space and keep moving. Sometimes it comes to me on the next read-through, sometimes I think long and hard about it later... sometimes the entire sentence/paragraph/chapter vanishes and it becomes a moot point.

(I have this inkling that Uncle Jim will say some variation on "whatever works for you.")
Old 08-22-2009, 03:24 AM   #9896
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Location: In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.
Calliopenjo has a spectacular aura
I use thesaurus, dictionary, bing.com, and ask.com for variations of a word or for that word that can't come to mind. I know it's gotta be out there somewhere. When all else fails ___ takes its place until a critter reads through it and they find the word in the form of "Did you mean. . ." and the bell rings violently as I'm shaking my head.

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. — Victor Herbert (1859-1924)
Old 08-22-2009, 04:48 AM   #9897
smsarber
Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace

Location: Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loathe them. ~E.A. Poe
smsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidzfl View Post
lol fair enough. I'm not upset at my 140 wpm, 99% accuracy typing
Sheesh. I can do about 45-60 words a minute. Due to an injury when I was thirteen my right middle finger is unusable to type, so I never learned the correct way. But for me, the 17 days in the hospital, had it not been for the use of my brother's laptop I may have only gotten half the 3,500 words I did get. Though I may have ended up with more towards my novel. Longhand I might write faster, but my hand cramps up fast. Although, when I write longhand I think I tend to stay focused on one project more. It's so easy to have a little idea and open a new page, but then I know I'll have to retype it later. While I was in there I started two hospital-based short-stories. Wonder where I got the idea for those? Ha-ha

Fan Page

"When we write we begin to taste the textures of our own mind."~Natalie Goldberg
"I'm alone here, with emptiness, eagles and snow, unfriendliness chilling my body, and taunting with pictures of home."~Deep Purple Pictures of Home
Old 08-22-2009, 05:52 AM   #9898
Ken Schneider
Absolute sagebrush

Ken Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Sheesh. I can do about 45-60 words a minute. Due to an injury when I was thirteen my right middle finger is unusable to type, so I never learned the correct way. But for me, the 17 days in the hospital, had it not been for the use of my brother's laptop I may have only gotten half the 3,500 words I did get. Though I may have ended up with more towards my novel. Longhand I might write faster, but my hand cramps up fast. Although, when I write longhand I think I tend to stay focused on one project more. It's so easy to have a little idea and open a new page, but then I know I'll have to retype it later. While I was in there I started two hospital-based short-stories. Wonder where I got the idea for those? Ha-ha
I don't do the conventional type of typing. I've figured out my own system over time. My wife types the right way, she she says I still type faster than she does. But, alas, none of that matters, it's getting the right words down on paper. Ten words a minute, or one hundred, fast or slow, doesn't the writer make.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:56 AM   #9899
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

If something is keeping you from writing -- put it aside.

Why are you using the thesaurus? Is it a way to turn avoid composition?

Try this: When you're convinced the word isn't quite right, just type a near-enough word, then type XXX then continue with the composition.

For the last twenty minutes of the day, search on XXX with your Thesaurus in hand.

(Oh, and when you bring out your thesaurus, bring out your dictionary too: make sure you know what the words mean. Really sure. Once I was reading some unpublished fantasy, and came to a bit where our hero had just met a young lady, and ... put a medallion on her cervix. I knew instantly what had happened. The author had wanted a fancy-sounding word for 'neck.' And 'cervix' does, indeed, mean 'neck.' As in 'cervical vertebrae.' But, generally speaking, one doesn't get near a beautiful young lady's cervix until you and she are very good friends.)
Old 08-23-2009, 12:37 AM   #9900
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Location: In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.
Calliopenjo has a spectacular aura
Smile

I don't know about anybody else, but when the word walk(as an example) appears in the same paragraph more than once, I need to find another word. Or that "thing" that you know has a word attached to it, but you can't think of it until somebody else gives you that word. That word may not fit but it gives me a starting point to look in the thesaurus for the word that I am looking for.

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. — Victor Herbert (1859-1924)
Closed Thread