Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 02:27 AM   #9601
Berry
practical experience, FTW

Berry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
... while Times New Roman may be acceptable, Courier is acceptable.
Also, while you are writing, you can use anything you like. Do 18 point Comic Sans pink on turquoise B3 pages if that helps, as long as whatever you print out or save to submit meets market requirements, usually black on white 12 pt Courier or TNR double spaced with 1 inch margins.

And remember, if you have a terrific story no one is going to reject it because your bottom margin is 3/4 inch or you used "###" instead of "#" for section breaks; likewise absolutely perfect formatting won't save a crappy story.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:51 AM   #9602
MiltonPope
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

MiltonPope is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I promise you faithfully, there isn't a publisher anywhere whose rejection slips read, "Sorry! Too well-written and original for us!"
Although there is the legend of the Chinese magazine that said:

“We have read your manuscript with boundless delight, and if we were to publish your paper, it would be impossible for us to publish any work of a lower standard. And, as it is unthinkable that in the next thousand years we shall see its equal, we are, to our regret, compelled to return your divine composition and beg you a thousand times to overlook our short sight and timidity.”
Old 07-18-2009, 04:05 AM   #9603
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsarber View Post
Here's a question that really doesn't have to do with writing novels, but it does in a sideways kind of way. Does being a writer, and studying books as you read them, ever take some of the enjoyment out of reading? When I read a book for the first time I try to turn off the writer in me, and just focus on the pleasure of reading. But sometimes I find myself analyzing the prose so much that I have to go back and re-read sections because I don't remember the actual plot, point, dialogue, etc...

Maybe it's just me.
It happens to me too, but with practice I've learned to make the writer/editor portion of me shut up. However, if you consistently find that you can't help ripping apart the prose...maybe it really is that bad. Or at least, not the kind of book you enjoy reading.
Currently: Juggling multiple WIPs, including sequels
Love Stories on Tumblr/Library
Current projects: Editing the historical that came out of nowhere
Old 07-18-2009, 04:10 AM   #9604
smsarber
Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace

Location: Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loathe them. ~E.A. Poe
smsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool

Oh, no... it's not that I rip it apart. I just focus on it too much, trying to learn from it, that I sometimes lose sight of the sheer enjoyment. Then I have to go back and re-read. Not really a bad thing, all in all. Sometimes I find I get a lot more out of the book than I would have three years ago. And it really is better the second, third, and fourth times, case-in-point, The Stand. Everytime I read that one now I'm amazed at the intricity Stephen King keeps up throughout the very long and complex novel. I think we can all learn a lot about super-complex plots and keeping numerous characters in play by reading The Stand over-and-over.

Fan Page

"When we write we begin to taste the textures of our own mind."~Natalie Goldberg
"I'm alone here, with emptiness, eagles and snow, unfriendliness chilling my body, and taunting with pictures of home."~Deep Purple Pictures of Home
Old 07-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #9605
Scribhneoir
Reinventing Myself

Scribhneoir is a glorious beacon of lightScribhneoir is a glorious beacon of lightScribhneoir is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Oh, no... it's not that I rip it apart. I just focus on it too much, trying to learn from it, that I sometimes lose sight of the sheer enjoyment.
When you read a book the first time, read it for pleasure. Then go back and read it for craft.

I majored in film studies and we always had to watch each film twice in class for just that reason. The first time was to enjoy the film (or not -- my Nazi Cinema class was fascinating, but not because of the actual films we were forced to endure); the second time was to study it.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #9606
smsarber
Requiescat In Pace

smsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool

Somehow my point was missed. Oh well, it happens.

Fan Page

"When we write we begin to taste the textures of our own mind."~Natalie Goldberg
"I'm alone here, with emptiness, eagles and snow, unfriendliness chilling my body, and taunting with pictures of home."~Deep Purple Pictures of Home
Old 07-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #9607
euclid
Where did I put me specs?

euclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admiration
I'm reading a debut novel: Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith. Has anybody else read this book? I have serious editorial problems with it. Maybe it's just my poor understanding of everything literature.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #9608
Dale Emery
is way off topic

Dale Emery should run for PresidentDale Emery should run for PresidentDale Emery should run for PresidentDale Emery should run for PresidentDale Emery should run for PresidentDale Emery should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by euclid View Post
I'm reading a debut novel: Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith. Has anybody else read this book? I have serious editorial problems with it.
My non-writer wife loved it. I recently bought the audio version, but haven't listened yet.

Dale
Old 07-18-2009, 11:57 PM   #9609
Ken Schneider
Absolute sagebrush

Ken Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Being a writer means that you will read differently than you did before.
Does for me.

I find myself looking at and breaking down setences for the real meaning of the content, as in UJ's line by line.

I also say, that sentence doesn't sound right, or is too discriptive, or flowery.

I remember years ago just reading and enjoying books, not questioning what was written or even seeing any problems.

I guess, as writers, we should be encouraged to know that a good story goes further with the reader than it does with us. If we could just get past the editor.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #9610
sleepsheep
persuasion by equation

sleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolnesssleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolnesssleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolnesssleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolnesssleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Schneider View Post
Does for me.

I find myself looking at and breaking down setences for the real meaning of the content, as in UJ's line by line.

I also say, that sentence doesn't sound right, or is too discriptive, or flowery.

I remember years ago just reading and enjoying books, not questioning what was written or even seeing any problems.

I guess, as writers, we should be encouraged to know that a good story goes further with the reader than it does with us. If we could just get past the editor.
While I read a lot of genre fiction, especially sci-fi, I write anything but that. Still, I find that the more I write, the slower I read. I pay more attention to sentence structure than I ever did before. Also, my reading is noticeably slower when I'm in the midst of intensive writing, although that's not at all conscious.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 AM   #9611
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
Quote:
Oh, no... it's not that I rip it apart. I just focus on it too much, trying to learn from it, that I sometimes lose sight of the sheer enjoyment. Then I have to go back and re-read. Not really a bad thing, all in all. Sometimes I find I get a lot more out of the book than I would have three years ago. And it really is better the second, third, and fourth times, case-in-point, The Stand. Everytime I read that one now I'm amazed at the intricity Stephen King keeps up throughout the very long and complex novel. I think we can all learn a lot about super-complex plots and keeping numerous characters in play by reading The Stand over-and-over.
Pardon the hyperbole in my post, then--I myself tend to 'rip apart' prose when I read. I guess I'm just indelicate that way.

I guess it might come down to the question of what you would value most: enjoying the book, or learning something from it? If you'd rather learn, at least at the time, don't worry about whether or not you're overthinking things.

For the record, I think I both enjoyed and learned from The Stand. I know some people really dislike Stephen King, but I loved how authentic the characters were. I kept trying to analyze how on Earth he did such a frickin' awesome job--but I kept having to give up and just enjoy reading it.
Currently: Juggling multiple WIPs, including sequels
Love Stories on Tumblr/Library
Current projects: Editing the historical that came out of nowhere
Old 07-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #9612
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

Location: A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
FOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bumping this thread back to the 1st page.

Find my books on Smashwords at https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/fotsgreg
Find my books on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/G.W.-Ellis/e/B...805&sr=1-2-ent
WIPs: Dark Horizons, Hivers, The Bar, Gated
Old 07-21-2009, 04:52 AM   #9613
Ken Schneider
Absolute sagebrush

Ken Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTSGreg View Post
Bumping this thread back to the 1st page.
Don't bump. If there aren't any good questions it should sink away.

That's UJ's take on it, not mine.

But since you did.

I just finished my current whip, and am itching to start the next.

I know what the next book is about and how to get it started.

But, I feel like I should take some time off, a week or so to think it over while I do some trail hiking.

Any thoughts about plowing through to the next work, versus taking a short break?

Last edited by Ken Schneider; 07-21-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 AM   #9614
smsarber
Requiescat In Pace

Cool

I vote for sitting at the computer, and staring at a blank screen until 250 words come out.

Fan Page

Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 AM   #9615
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Location: In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.
Calliopenjo has a spectacular aura
Smile

Hi Ken,

The first thing I tell anybody is to do what you think you should do. If you think taking a break is best go for it. It works for a lot of people especially after spending umpteen hours at the computer taking this out, putting this in, transfer this, transfer that, need more here.

If you think you can sit at the computer and write a quality piece right after finishing you current go for it. Sometimes ideas come and you think it's good until. . . So much for that idea. Delete and try again. Plus and minus sides for both.

My two cents.

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. — Victor Herbert (1859-1924)
Old 07-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #9616
Alphabeter
Player of the Letters

Alphabeter leaves trails of profuse coolnessAlphabeter leaves trails of profuse coolnessAlphabeter leaves trails of profuse coolnessAlphabeter leaves trails of profuse coolnessAlphabeter leaves trails of profuse coolness
I always try and take some kind of rest between WiPs, even if its just a nap and a snack. I need to let go of the previous project and all its detritus. A fresh slate gives me the focus to start ... on a new set of problems.

I found that rushing into a new (even if its old revisited) piece without the "clearing" tended to recreate the same issues and I sometimes couldn't finish because multiple projects became blurred. I then got too frustrated to sort each all out.

Writing is a lot like sex.
At first you do it because you like it.
Then you find yourself doing it for a few close friends and people you like.
But if you're any good at all...you end up doing it for money.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #9617
Exir
Out of the cradle endlessly rocking

Exir is a splendid one to beholdExir is a splendid one to beholdExir is a splendid one to behold
Another thing that we writers should always keep in mind is that we are storytellers, not prose stylists, so we shouldn't over-concentrate on prose at the expense of things like plot, character, theme, emotion, setting, imagination, etc. I'm not saying prose isn't important -- even non-writers can instinctively "taste" bland, uninspired, or faulty prose even if they can't put a finger to it. However, writing that is funny and evocative will work even if it contains too much adverbs and adjectives. Take Harry Potter. When I was younger I read through them without feeling anything wrong about the prose. Now that I re-read the earlier books (1-3) I find places that feel a bit clunky to me, but I still enjoy reading them immensely because the writing evokes a very clear image for me. Not that I only read them for pleasure -- it's that even when I'm analysing it, I make sure to concentrate on the overall story, and see how she treats it.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/be...d_passion.html

The talk is about classical music and piano, but I highly recommend it nonetheless -- it contains important lessons that we can learn for writing as well. Benjamin Zander explains that the most important difference between beginner piano players and advanced piano players is that beginners play each note with an impulse, one note at a time, while advanced piano players play the entire melody as one single impulse (what he humorously calls "one buttock playing" for reasons you will have to watch the video to understand).
"A work of art is useless as a flower is useless. A flower blossoms for its own joy. We gain a moment of joy by looking at it. That is all that is to be said about our relations to flowers. Of course man may sell the flower, and so make it useful to him, but this has nothing to do with the flower. It is not part of its essence. It is accidental. It is a misuse."

-- Oscar Wilde

Old 07-21-2009, 07:02 AM   #9618
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you really, really feel the need to bump any thread, please do it with an on-topic, thought-provoking question or observation.

For example:

Let's look back a few years to some total nonsense that nevertheless got published in Salon: The confessions of a semi-successful author

I commented about it at the time.

But I'm going to comment on it more, because it's still ripe for mockery.

Let me give "Jane Austen Doe" some advice.

1) Don't kid yourself. You aren't a midlist author. Frontlist money and backlist sales don't average out to midlist.

2) That first book of yours, the one that's out of print, but people still ask about? I'm sure it's reverted by now. Find a small press that'll put it back into print. Don't expect a six-figure advance. Don't hold out for a five-figure advance. Heck, take a publisher with decent distribution and forget the advance. You aren't getting any money or any readers with it right now, are you?

3) That ghostwriting gig? That's good money and it's easy work. See if your agent can round up more of those. Do one a year and think of it as your day job.

4) The single-author collection of short stories? What are you, nuts? Sure, do it if you must, but don't let it keep you from writing books. That's where the money is.

5) Consider a pseudonym. The DAW Books Witness Protection Program was made for people like you. You can write publishable prose and that's a rare quality. Start over as someone new. Yeah, you'll get first-book advances. No, first-book advances aren't generally $100K. Take anything that's offered and be grateful to get it.

6) News Flash: Publishing didn't just become a business. It's been a business for centuries.

7) Don't be an idiot when it comes to money. Treat every check as if it's your last ... because it could be.

8) Write your damned book. And stop whining. No one loves a whiner.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #9619
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Plots? We got plots!

http://oaks.nvg.org/folktale-types.html

Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 07-21-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #9620
Exir

Exir is a splendid one to beholdExir is a splendid one to beholdExir is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Uncle Jim! The link doesn't work though.
"A work of art is useless as a flower is useless. A flower blossoms for its own joy. We gain a moment of joy by looking at it. That is all that is to be said about our relations to flowers. Of course man may sell the flower, and so make it useful to him, but this has nothing to do with the flower. It is not part of its essence. It is accidental. It is a misuse."

-- Oscar Wilde

Old 07-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #9621
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Fixed
Old 07-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #9622
Exir

Thanks a lot! You are, as ever, very patient and helpful.

-- Oscar Wilde

Old 07-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #9623
MiltonPope

MiltonPope is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Schneider View Post
Any thoughts about plowing through to the next work, versus taking a short break?
I heard of one 19th century chap (was it Trollope?) who would finish a book, draw a heavy line across the page, take a deep breath, and start the next book on the same page.

Okay, I won't be doing that.

--Milton
Old 07-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #9624
Loretta

Loretta is on a distinguished road
I really think you should go with your mood, or muse, or whatever you want to call it. There have been times I've let a piece set for quite awhile, other times when I've let it set for a couple of weeks and done nothing else at all before I go back and look at it. Then there was one instance, that I couldn't continue with what I was writing until I broke away and wrote this short story that kept nudging at me. The short story was taken, so I think following my instincts was the route to take. If you feel like moving forward... GO...if you feel drained...give it a rest. Sometimes you can tear something up by continuing when you haven't let it "cure" a bit. And unless you're highly motivated to start a new work, back off for awhile...the muse doesn't play hide and seek for long
Old 07-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #9625
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Location: In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.
Calliopenjo has a spectacular aura
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
And unless you're highly motivated to start a new work, back off for awhile...the muse doesn't play hide and seek for long
I beg to differ. Mine was on vacation for five years.

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. — Victor Herbert (1859-1924)
Closed Thread