Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #8276
nevada
Self-Banned

nevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFlower View Post
One circumstance where I've seen second person work well is when it's clear that "you" is not actually the reader, but a distinct character the narrator is addressing. An example being John Scalzi's THE SAGAN DIARY, in which the narrator is speaking addressing her husband for most of the story. I'm not sure that cases like that really count as second-person, though, as they feel more like either first (the narrator) or third-person detached (as with epistolary novels, in which readers might see letters that address the intended recipient in the second person, but we're not actually inside the head of the person who wrote the letter--we're observing externally). UJ, am I on crack about those being second person?
I don't want to say you're on crack, but that's not second person. In the Scalzi example you give since there is a narrator, even if most of the book is in "you" form, it is third or first person depending on how the narrator refers to herself, I or she. epistolary novels, also, are not second person.

Second person is a weird POV. It's even hard to explain because most people, when they think of second person, end up putting a narrator behind "you". (as in the Scalzi example) That there is some unseen person telling you what you are doing. But if there is an unseen narrator then it's not second person. It is closer in form to first person than 3rd person. In first person, the narrator is clear, it is the "I" character. In 2nd person, the narrator is the "you" character. I've written in 2nd person, and I think everyone should try it. It can be fun.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #8277
smsarber
Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace

Location: Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loathe them. ~E.A. Poe
smsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool

That does sound like fun. Once I master third and first person writing, in about fifty years, I'll give second a shot.

Fan Page

"When we write we begin to taste the textures of our own mind."~Natalie Goldberg
"I'm alone here, with emptiness, eagles and snow, unfriendliness chilling my body, and taunting with pictures of home."~Deep Purple Pictures of Home
Old 04-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #8278
allenparker
Naked Futon Guy

allenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by euclid View Post
What planet are you from? The bible is NOT a piece of american literature.
I kind of is... Don't we own the world? Doesn't that make all literature American?

I know I saw the deed around here somewhere. Somebody go ask Bush where he put all the deeds when he left...

<returns tongue to the center of mouth>

Old 04-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #8279
smsarber
Requiescat In Pace

smsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool

Quote:
Somebody go ask Bush where he put all the deeds when he left...
No, no, no... it was where did he put all the weed when he left...

Fan Page

"When we write we begin to taste the textures of our own mind."~Natalie Goldberg
"I'm alone here, with emptiness, eagles and snow, unfriendliness chilling my body, and taunting with pictures of home."~Deep Purple Pictures of Home
Old 04-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #8280
Exir
Out of the cradle endlessly rocking

Exir is a glorious beacon of lightExir is a glorious beacon of lightExir is a glorious beacon of light
Oooh... Uncle Jim's reading Twilight! Goodie!!
"A work of art is useless as a flower is useless. A flower blossoms for its own joy. We gain a moment of joy by looking at it. That is all that is to be said about our relations to flowers. Of course man may sell the flower, and so make it useful to him, but this has nothing to do with the flower. It is not part of its essence. It is accidental. It is a misuse."

-- Oscar Wilde

Old 04-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #8281
RJK
Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:

RJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputation
I'm beginning to understand why they are having trouble with the Middle East peace talks. You folks are hyper-sensitive about what tense a novel is written in. Please remember, everyone has an opinion. Your opinion is just as valid to you, as mine is to me. I don't think the literary world will come to an end if your opinion isn't shared by everyone else.

Last edited by RJK; 04-01-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #8282
smsarber
Requiescat In Pace

Cool

No! Everyone will share MY opinion and LOVE it...OR ELSE! (Don't worry, my wife doesn't pay any attention to me either)

Fan Page

Old 04-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #8283
MiltonPope
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

MiltonPope is on a distinguished road
I should check in more often. I find myself involved in a brouhaha/rhubarb/dustup.

Maestro thought my statement was too sweeping. It probably was. If his response seemed curt, well, Maestro's one of the reasons I hang around here, and I'm always glad to hear from him. Also, Empress's mention of Damon Runyon reminds me that the annoyance isn't universal even for me. I like Damon Runyon.

--Milton
Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #8284
CACTUSWENDY
An old, sappy, and happy one.
Requiescat In Pace

CACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool

Not you too Jim?....sigh....all is lost.

Posted on Amazon.com and Smashwords.com

Don't forget to give a buck or two towards the Number One writing site online.

You are only a shadow standing in your own sunshine.[/SIZE]
Old 04-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #8285
smsarber
Requiescat In Pace

Cool

Happy April Fool's Day, Uncle Jim, and all the other great people here at Absolute Write...

WE ALL ROCK!!

(oKAY, SO a.f'S.d. Isn'T A hOLLIDAY... Let me have my moment)

Fan Page

Old 04-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #8286
Perle_Rare
Dragon rider

Perle_Rare is a splendid one to beholdPerle_Rare is a splendid one to beholdPerle_Rare is a splendid one to behold
Uncle Jim,

I was wondering when we could have fun disecting another first page? I'd recommend Twilight (which I haven't read yet) in honor of the day but anything else would do too.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #8287
Neversage
Part of the Scenery

Neversage is on a distinguished road
I haven't read it either, but I'd love to do the first page test.

One of the reasons Never writes is because reality often bores him.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:11 AM   #8288
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Location: In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.
Calliopenjo has a spectacular aura
Smile

I'm just going to say this. I went to Amazon.com and looked up Twilight. I read the first two pages of the "Look Inside" feature they have. Two things I pick out that are obvious. First is Bella Swan. If anyone is aware of the name Bella, it means beautiful. So the meaning of the name is beautiful swan. I don't know about anybody else, but I pick out my names carefully giving thought to their meanings and origins. She complains about everything starting with the first page. Okay maybe not everything since I only read the first two pages, but she complained about her father, leaving Phoenix, living in Washington where it rained constantly. That about encompassed the first two pages.

I wondered about this book, only because my oldest niece "loved loved loved" this book. After everything I heard about it, both good and bad, I was intrigued to find out about before spending what $15 (I haven't looked at the price in a bookstore so I could be wrong. Amazon.com has over eighty used books for sale under $10) for this book. Now I know not to.

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. Victor Herbert (1859-1924)
Old 04-02-2009, 04:03 AM   #8289
Neversage
Part of the Scenery

Neversage is on a distinguished road
I read the first page, and only continued to the second because I'm familiar with the Pacific Northwest, and felt some connection. I read the second page, and turned only to find out why all of this information was important. I didn't find enough on page three to make me care.

I'll inevitably end up reading this book due to the demands of friends and family members, but I'm finishing the Grisham I'm on on first; and a few other books I haven't started yet.

One of the reasons Never writes is because reality often bores him.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:13 AM   #8290
Meredith

Meredith is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliopenjo View Post
She complains about everything starting with the first page.
Makes sense. Swans are notoriously mean-spirited.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:24 AM   #8291
smsarber
Requiescat In Pace

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
Makes sense. Swans are notoriously mean-spirited.
Anybody read The Trumpet of the Swan? I was in maybe fourth grade, but I remember loving that book. It was about a swan who couldn't honk(trumpet) so a boy helped him, and cut the webbing in one of his feet so he could work the keys on a trumpet.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Fan Page

Old 04-02-2009, 06:23 AM   #8292
Krintar
practical experience, FTW

Krintar is well-respected
I was planning to avoid posting until I finished the first draft of my novel, but damn - the retitling of this thread took me from 'quietly amused' to 'cackling aloud'...
Also: hi!
//back to work
Old 04-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #8293
MiltonPope

MiltonPope is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliopenjo View Post
She complains about everything starting with the first page.
That's quite a complaint. I mean, where else will everything start? [Missing icon of insufferable grin]

--Milton
Old 04-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #8294
smsarber
Requiescat In Pace

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonPope View Post
That's quite a complaint. I mean, where else will everything start? [Missing icon of insufferable grin]

--Milton
On page zero?

Fan Page

Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #8295
euclid
Where did I put me specs?

euclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admiration
Jim,

I've noticed that many books can be bought from Amazon for crazy knockdown prices. "New and Used from $2.95" or "Used - in good condition for $0.01" Even some recent books can be bought in this way.

How does this benefit the author? How much royalty would he/she get from a 1 cent sale?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #8296
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
Aw man, I missed the title of this thread yesterday. What was it?

Also, I don't know if this has been covered before, but: Pen Names. How do they work, and who decides them--you, the publisher, the agent?
Currently: Juggling multiple WIPs, including sequels
Love Stories on Tumblr/Library
Current projects: Editing the historical that came out of nowhere
Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #8297
Perle_Rare
Dragon rider

Perle_Rare is a splendid one to beholdPerle_Rare is a splendid one to beholdPerle_Rare is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MumblingSage View Post
Aw man, I missed the title of this thread yesterday. What was it?
Reading Twilight with Uncle Jim.

The AW site became a kind of Twilight "zone". All sorts of threads were renamed with Twilight references and many people had Twilight avatars. Even Uncle Jim sparkled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumblingSage View Post
Also, I don't know if this has been covered before, but: Pen Names. How do they work, and who decides them--you, the publisher, the agent?
Do a search through the threads. There's a slew of them on pen names. I don't have time right now or I'd dig you up a few. Sorry.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #8298
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Jim,

I've noticed that many books can be bought from Amazon for crazy knockdown prices. "New and Used from $2.95" or "Used - in good condition for $0.01" Even some recent books can be bought in this way.

How does this benefit the author? How much royalty would he/she get from a 1 cent sale?
I'm not Uncle Jim, but...an author doesn't make any money from the sale of a used book!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #8299
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
There aren't any additional royalties. The author already got paid for that physical copy.

Remember that the number one reason anyone buys and reads a book is because the reader already read and enjoyed another book by that same author. So the author benefits that way -- the creation of another loyal fan.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #8300
smsarber
Requiescat In Pace

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
There aren't any additional royalties. The author already got paid for that physical copy.

Remember that the number one reason anyone buys and reads a book is because the reader already read and enjoyed another book by that same author. So the author benefits that way -- the creation of another loyal fan.
Fans are where it's at, really, anyway. I want to make money writing, sure, but the gratification from somebody enjoying something I wrote is soooo good!

Fan Page

Closed Thread