Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #8201
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My PC is almost never out of action. In fours years it's had one fried HD ( cost 40, out of action two hours) and a dodgy fan ( twenty minutes, and a resolution to clean the dust out of the intakes every once in a while )

Whereas my brother's MAC breaks down at least once a month.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Old 03-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #8202
herdon
What's up?

herdon has a spectacular auraherdon has a spectacular aura
Any computer will break down -- Mac, PC, or otherwise. Also, speaking as someone who's been in one side and out the other of the computer industry, computers break down more when in the hands of someone that doesn't quite know how to use one.

My personal favorite all time think it's the best ever computer: Alpha. We had an Alpha server back in 1999 that ran our database and that thing was the most solid, sweetest piece of hardware I ever had the pleasure to query. Of course, including the rackmount drives, the thing cost around $80k. But it was still pretty sweet
Old 03-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #8203
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Location: In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.
Calliopenjo has a spectacular aura
Smile

Hi Uncle Jim,

Off topic question. When changing POVs in a story does the different POV need to be in italics or would a lead in be better to let the reader know that a change in viewpoint is coming up?

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. Victor Herbert (1859-1924)
Old 03-28-2009, 03:04 AM   #8204
Perle_Rare
Dragon rider

Perle_Rare is a splendid one to beholdPerle_Rare is a splendid one to beholdPerle_Rare is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliopenjo View Post
Hi Uncle Jim,

Off topic question. When changing POVs in a story does the different POV need to be in italics or would a lead in be better to let the reader know that a change in viewpoint is coming up?
Uncle Jim likely has a better answer but this is what I've been doing:

I keep the same POV throughout a scene. If I change the POV, I do so for a new scene and I start that scene with that POV person.

For example, scene 1 is from Martin's POV so the first line of that scene might be:

"The shadows were snaking along the ground when Martin stepped past the gate and entered the cemetery. Blah, blah, blah."

Now, a scene with Alison as POV character. I start the new scene talking about Alison:

"Alison ran home as if a vampire was chasing her. Blah, blah, blah."

No italics required and the reader knows immediately whose POV he's seeing the world from.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 AM   #8205
smsarber
Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace

Location: Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loathe them. ~E.A. Poe
smsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool

Also, just like different sections in a chapter, use the "numeric symbol" divider.
#
Then you start your new POV and the reader can know what's going on. That's not to say you couldn't use italics, or to say that I'm even right. It's just my opinion.

Fan Page

"When we write we begin to taste the textures of our own mind."~Natalie Goldberg
"I'm alone here, with emptiness, eagles and snow, unfriendliness chilling my body, and taunting with pictures of home."~Deep Purple Pictures of Home
Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 AM   #8206
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Location: In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.
Calliopenjo has a spectacular aura
Smile

I have one chapter that the POV changes because the original POV is no longer relevant.

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. Victor Herbert (1859-1924)
Old 03-28-2009, 03:40 AM   #8207
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliopenjo View Post
Hi Uncle Jim,

Line break, and continue in the new POV.

Just make sure the readers aren't confused.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #8208
pictopedia
exactly, sort of

pictopedia is on a distinguished road
Just an example of modern Marketing storytelling in action: Microsoft has a current spot out showing a young, insecure woman who pretends to be an independent thinker, trying to get a 17" laptop for under 1000 $. After not finding a Mac for that price, she buys a PC Laptop for 800$. End of spot. If you go online and check the specs of that model, you'll quickly find the 1000 $ worth of parts she thought she got but is actually missing. The funniest being the 17" monitor that only displays the amount of a 15 inch monitor (old hardware, lower resolution) There go about 400$ she thought she saved but actually overspent for nothing, just with that. You have to admire the cleverness of the character building and the storytelling in that and all the other spots that makes customers defend the Mac/PC cost myth with such conviction against all facts.

But even if you live with the low quality and direct your eye to the saved money for condolence, if you work as a freelancer and take 30$/hour, estimating standard PC maintenance, you'll use up the "saved" 1000$ in 32 hours or about 2h/week=4 months. So after only 4 months, you spent exactly as much as for a Mac, only that there is a computer on your desk with old technology that additionally already lost half of its market value.

So,based on hard facts, and the shared reality that 1+1 equals 2, Macs are, financially the overall better buy. That makes every "expensive Mac" story really deal with something of greater importance than money. A pattern, a theme. Some underlying emotional something. A strange occurrence of repeating bad luck. A proof of expensive Macs it is not. But maybe the beginning of an interesting story.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #8209
Vegetables
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Vegetables is on a distinguished road
Hi!

I'm slowly making my way through the six years of posts in this thread and, as a young amateur writer I'm finding this VERY helpful. Thanks so much for spending so much time on this! I'm really enjoying it.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #8210
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by pictopedia View Post
Macs are, financially the overall better buy.
I wouldn't take another Mac as a gift. If you work as a freelancer you can't afford the repairs and the time the thing is off in the shop.

Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 03-28-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #8211
pictopedia
exactly, sort of

Interesting. All right Jim. I'll drop the uncle and go along with your story. Substracts a little illusion and adds a little illusion to my reality. 1-1=0. System back to neutral and rebooting. 3..2...1....
Old 03-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #8212
smsarber
Requiescat In Pace

smsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool

Never had to pay a dollar to upgrade, update, or repair my PC. As stated earlier, they replaced the motherboard in two days under warranty. I'm learning about computers on this computer. So lets see, $700 (the dollar sign goes in front), a year old, one problem which cost me no money= PC.
A computer I couldn't afford that I would have less-than-no-clue how to use= Mac.

1+1=2: PC is the way to go for most discerning people.

But Pic, you stick with what works for you. Just be prepared- from what I've read, when something DOES go wrong it's gonna be a hassle.

#

Now for something related to writing novels:

How does everybody break the bonds of writer's block? I usually write something out of my usual comfort zone. I want to see what some other methods are.

Fan Page

"When we write we begin to taste the textures of our own mind."~Natalie Goldberg
"I'm alone here, with emptiness, eagles and snow, unfriendliness chilling my body, and taunting with pictures of home."~Deep Purple Pictures of Home
Old 03-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #8213
Neversage
Part of the Scenery

Neversage is on a distinguished road
To work around blocks (I'm still of my own opinions on those in general) I skip ahead to later int he book, or the sequel, and write a scene I'm looking forward to. I may never use it, and will certainly change it, but it helps me get back into the fun of telling the story.

One of the reasons Never writes is because reality often bores him.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #8214
smsarber
Requiescat In Pace

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversage View Post
To work around blocks (I'm still of my own opinions on those in general) I skip ahead to later int he book, or the sequel, and write a scene I'm looking forward to. I may never use it, and will certainly change it, but it helps me get back into the fun of telling the story.
Now that's interesting... I never thought of going to "sequel-status," I have gone to later in the book, however. It does help.

Fan Page

Old 03-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #8215
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

I've already mentioned mine: Just type "Suddenly, without warning, a naked woman screamed," and continue from there.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #8216
Neversage
Part of the Scenery

Neversage is on a distinguished road
Uncle Jim, I love that. I recently had my protag engage in a steamy makeout session, with a supporting character, in the middle of the road; to shake my thoughts up. Only then did I realize that he has a thing for her. Now the plot is far more interesting.

One of the reasons Never writes is because reality often bores him.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #8217
smsarber
Requiescat In Pace

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
I've already mentioned mine: Just type "Suddenly, without warning, a naked woman screamed," and continue from there.
And that one still tops my list of favorite lines!

Fan Page

Old 03-29-2009, 12:41 AM   #8218
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Naked woman, check. Actually, make it a naked man. With baby oil. That should get my writing going again!

Quote:
But even if you live with the low quality and direct your eye to the saved money for condolence, if you work as a freelancer and take 30$/hour, estimating standard PC maintenance, you'll use up the "saved" 1000$ in 32 hours or about 2h/week=4 months. So after only 4 months, you spent exactly as much as for a Mac, only that there is a computer on your desk with old technology that additionally already lost half of its market value.
Huh? Spending almost nil on maintenance / repairs, and I use my PC at least six hours a day ( OK, 40 for new HD and 15 pa for virus checker) makes it more expensive than the Mac that was several hundred pounds more expensive to buy? Within four months? Try within four years, if ever ( not including maintenance / repair expenditures for MACs when they break down)

Sorry, does not compute.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

Last edited by Mr Flibble; 03-29-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #8219
Judg
Becoming a writer

Judg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJudg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJudg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJudg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJudg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJudg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJudg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJudg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJudg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJudg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJudg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
At this rate we're going to have to ask the mods to move this thread to the tech forum...

My website
Old 03-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #8220
DamaNegra
Mexican on the loose!

DamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, the old PC vs. Mac debate is getting old. PC rock, Macs suck, it's a fact (because I say so and that makes it a fact ) so there. Mac fans: Don't kill me!

Back to your regularly scheduled writing thread...

Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #8221
pictopedia
exactly, sort of

I'd like to ask everyone about something that's been bugging me some time about point of view: 1st person versus 3rd person. When you think about the books you like: is there one you prefer?

I find it harder as a reader to feel for or identify with the main character at the beginning of a book when a book starts with "One day I did..." in contrast to "One day he/she did...." With 1st person I sometimes feel like the Siamese twin to the mc, stuck inside his head and way too close for comfort at a time where I don't care or the mc just jet.

Do you feel that way too? Or do you think that 1rst and 3d make no difference? I'm asking because I am shortly before my first rewrite and am torn between making it 1st or 3rd. Can see good point for either one, but as a new writer, I want to take the safest road and not kick myself out of the game with unlucky style choices.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #8222
herdon
What's up?

herdon has a spectacular auraherdon has a spectacular aura
While we are on the subject, most people overpay for the hardware they use whether it is PC or Mac. Many people don't need more than a netbook, and that will be all the more true in the next few years as cloud computing takes off.

Unless you want to (1) play games or (2) have a very specific need that requires the power (high end graphics, SQL server, etc.), you won't need a PC or a Mac. Just a $200 netbook with Linux.

As for what has the better quality, it's quite silly to even compare PC vs Mac. The PC is an open platform. You can have extremely high quality or extremely low quality. A Mac is a closed platform. You don't have much choice in the matter. So the real answer is that a PC is both lower quality and higher quality than a Mac.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #8223
smsarber
Requiescat In Pace

Cool

There are reasons and places for both, but I wouldn't focus on "taking the safest road." In my opinion, neither is necessarily safer than the other anyway. But you have to go with what serves the story best. I find crime dramas to be best suited in first person, with third-person veiwpoints from secondary characters. Horror I personally like best in third person. YA in third. In many ways I find first person harder to write, and that may be why my first WIP is giving me stomach ulcers. It's going to get whipped into shape, though. My other WIP is horror, and in more of a comfort zone because of the genre, and it is in third person. Even when I'm stuck I just find it easier to get something out to advance it.

Just my humble opinion, and I've only been writing for about three years, give or take a few months.

Fan Page

Old 03-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #8224
pictopedia
exactly, sort of

Sorry, said that wrong. It's not about the fear of having to travel the road, it's about getting reeelay far on it and realising I should've taken another exit. "God, no I could be miles from here already. I could be almost there. Now I have to go BACK". That kind of feeling.

It's not fear. It's impatience. Although... impatience is a fear of loosing time...hm....
Old 03-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #8225
DamaNegra
Mexican on the loose!

DamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Personally, I like 3rd person better, because 1st person needs a truly unique voice that is always harder to pull off. With sufficient skill, it does work, but most times it doesn't.

But obviously it depends on what kind of story you're writing. It'd be good to know that.

Closed Thread