Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:05 AM   #7676
euclid
Where did I put me specs?

euclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admiration
Or better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsarber View Post
But you could change the setting to Blingern, Saturn
...yet, Embrig Spaceport on Mandeyn.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:46 AM   #7677
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
That's one of the reasons I recommend reading fifty stories in a row from Fanfiction.net to simulate the slush-reading experience that agents and editors go through.
That's just scary. (Of course alot of what's written on FFn gets "OMG you should be writing novels" tagged to it at some point, so I guess that's an accurate comparison.)

Old 12-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #7678
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by euclid View Post
...yet, Embrig Spaceport on Mandeyn.
Embrig Spaceport on Mandeyn was based closely on Cartagena, Colombia. (Other places you can look for include Willemstad, Curacao, and Howard Air Force Base, Panama.)
Old 12-30-2008, 06:29 AM   #7679
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Location: In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.
Calliopenjo has a spectacular aura
Question Peaceful Serenity

Hi Uncle Jim,

Is there such a thing as peaceful serenity? Or is it like saying great big huge?

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. Victor Herbert (1859-1924)
Old 12-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #7680
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliopenjo View Post
Hi Uncle Jim,

Is there such a thing as peaceful serenity? Or is it like saying great big huge?
Well, is there such a thing stormy serenity? A hawkish serenity?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #7681
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Well, is there such a thing stormy serenity? A hawkish serenity?
Knowing Serenity, I think so.

/* runs away from Serenity */

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between A Bunch of Stories
(2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews
Old 12-31-2008, 07:48 AM   #7682
Serenity
NCIS...

Location: ...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the head. :)
Serenity is a candidate for sainthoodSerenity is a candidate for sainthoodSerenity is a candidate for sainthoodSerenity is a candidate for sainthoodSerenity is a candidate for sainthoodSerenity is a candidate for sainthoodSerenity is a candidate for sainthoodSerenity is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrowork View Post
Knowing Serenity, I think so.

/* runs away from Serenity */

Hahahaha... uh... HEY, wait a minute!!!

I'm not so good at the advice thing. Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #7683
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Location: In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.
Calliopenjo has a spectacular aura
Question alright vs. all right

Hi Uncle Jim,

It used to be that alright meant that a person was well nothing was wrong. All right literally meant is everyone well. One person vs. a group. Then alright was considered a lazy way of saying all right and not everybody agreed with its use. I read somewhere that alright is no longer considered passable if you choose to use it in your story because it's considered lazy.

After all of that, my question is: Should alright be changed to all right? Or should I consider its usage?

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. Victor Herbert (1859-1924)
Old 01-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #7684
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

"Alright" is a non-standard variant of "all right."

The copyeditor will change "alright" to "all right" unless you specify otherwise in your style sheet.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #7685
Makai_Lightning
Love Addict

Makai_Lightning is well-respected
Quote:
"Alright" is a non-standard variant of "all right."

The copyeditor will change "alright" to "all right" unless you specify otherwise in your style sheet.

...Style sheet?
Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #7686
Palmfrond
cereal killer

Palmfrond is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makai_Lightning View Post
...Style sheet?
If you don't specify exactly what non-standard usage you are using in your novel, your copyeditor will do so. He/she will generate a list of character names, invented words, and other usage not in the publisher's style manual (often related to the Chicago Manual of Style). This allows you and the publisher to agree on which rules you are going to break, and to break them consistently.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #7687
Lavinia
practical experience, FTW

Lavinia is a glorious beacon of lightLavinia is a glorious beacon of lightLavinia is a glorious beacon of light
James- Thanks for all of this. It's really great. I'm reading several pages of posts a day until I'm done. I'll take breaks if information needs time to marinate. But this is really fabulous! I see that you recommend joining a critique group or writer's workshop. In my town, there is a writer's group but it is for Christian writers. I have nothing against Christian writing, but it's not what I write. I went to it for a while and it was very beneficial. There were three or four ladies out of maybe ten that are published authors (though not widely). But honestly, most had not kept up with the "information super highway."

Anyway- there is not a group that really fits my needs here in town. It is an artsy town so I know there are writers out there. Do you think I should try to start a group? If so, can you tell me what things would be important for me to do, or think about in setting it up? It's a scary proposition for me, but I'd be willing to do it.

Thanks again, James. ~Karen

Breaking the Code: a Father's Secret, a Daughter's Journey, and the Question That Changed Everything (Sourcebooks 2011), http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Code-Daughters-Question-Everything
NPR interview: http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...71&m=142072750
Old 01-05-2009, 02:21 AM   #7688
bsolah
AW's Resident Commie

bsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavinia View Post
Do you think I should try to start a group? If so, can you tell me what things would be important for me to do, or think about in setting it up? It's a scary proposition for me, but I'd be willing to do it.
I'd also love to hear from someone who's started a writing group from scratch and how they went about it.

Homepage | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Sanity Juxtaposed
Old 01-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #7689
euclid

euclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admiration
In the bookshop the other day I found a newly released book called "Undertow" (Can't remember the author's name - sorry). In the secondhand bookshop next door, I found an old book called "Undertow" by Tom Foote.

What is the legal position on book titles? Does it matter if my book title has been used before by another author?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #7690
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
Quote:
In the bookshop the other day I found a newly released book called "Undertow" (Can't remember the author's name - sorry). In the secondhand bookshop next door, I found an old book called "Undertow" by Tom Foote.

What is the legal position on book titles? Does it matter if my book title has been used before by another author?
Speaking from my experiances at the library shelves, this seems to be somewhat common. For more proof of this, try doing a google search or searching a library catalog for a particularily vague title. 'Kindred Spirits' had something like 16 hits in my library system, in genres from fantasy to romance to historical suspense.
Currently: Juggling multiple WIPs, including sequels
Love Stories on Tumblr/Library
Current projects: Editing the historical that came out of nowhere
Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #7691
nevada
Self-Banned

nevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthood
Titles can not be copywrit (copyrighted?) and so anyone can use any title they like. although I expect titles like Star Wars are trademarked so don't use that one. lol Use any title you like, although if you find there was a huge best seller with the same title as yours, you might consider changing yours, just so there's no confusion. Then again, if you ever sell your book, chances are the publisher might want to change your title anyway so it's not the most important thing about the book. Don't spend weeks trying to come up with the perfect title to the detriment of perfecting the book itself.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #7692
smsarber
Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace

Location: Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loathe them. ~E.A. Poe
smsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmsarber is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool

What if I call my book The Ring of the Lords: The Brotherhood of the Ring?

Fan Page

"When we write we begin to taste the textures of our own mind."~Natalie Goldberg
"I'm alone here, with emptiness, eagles and snow, unfriendliness chilling my body, and taunting with pictures of home."~Deep Purple Pictures of Home
Old 01-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #7693
nevada
Self-Banned

nevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthood
You are within your right to do that. And to deal with the confusion and consumer backlash that may result. lol Still, i doubt the publisher will let it go. unless it's a spoof.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #7694
Captain Howdy
closer + prettier than ever

Captain Howdy is a shiny, shiny jewelCaptain Howdy is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
it's an epic drama about boxing, right?

WIP: Night of the Pentagram - 46,029/75K

http://profile.myspace.com/mynameiscaptainhowdy

Old 01-06-2009, 06:43 AM   #7695
Rolling Thunder
Free.

Rolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have a question about backstory, UJ.

In regards to this advice: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...postcount=4477

Quote:
If you need the backstory to have the plot make sense there's a chance you're starting the story at the wrong point.

I don't know -- I haven't read your book.
My MC is using backstory to introduce other characters involved in the plot. Sometimes she discusses past history in dialog with that character. At other times she actively remembers when she first met the character, usually through a traumatic experience they shared or she alone witnessed.

I've done this in the second chapter; introducing the characters to the reader as the MC seeks them out to give them orders for an imminent attack. I've been able to do this in less than 2500 words. I'm moving it along as quickly as possible because the first climax peaks during a two day interval.

The plot is character driven so I'm wondering if using backstory is good or bad for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cray View Post
we should probably end it with those sage words.
thank you, artee.
*locks thread*
Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #7696
Yeshanu
Elf Queen

Yeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
You can write an R-rated spoof called Bored of the Rings if you want...

Wait. Already been done.

Seriously, titles can't be copyrighted. But I still wouldn't title any of my books Star Wars or Twilight, and the publisher would probably demand it be changed if I did.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #7697
euclid

Another question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshanu View Post
What's R-rated?

Old 01-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #7698
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsarber

it's an epic drama about boxing, right?
I did see a book entitled 'Lords of the Ring' about boxing. I'm not sure if it was a deliberate choice to mimic the fantasy epic-it almost seems it would have to be, but then I'm a fantasy geek, not a boxing fan.
Currently: Juggling multiple WIPs, including sequels
Love Stories on Tumblr/Library
Current projects: Editing the historical that came out of nowhere
Old 01-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #7699
Jake Barnes
practical experience, FTW

Jake Barnes has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshanu View Post

Wait. Already been done.

Seriously, titles can't be copyrighted. But I still wouldn't title any of my books Star Wars or Twilight, and the publisher would probably demand it be changed if I did.

Actually, there are a whole mess of books out there entitled "Twilight". My guess is there will be another within a few years, although probably not about vampires.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #7700
Yeshanu
Elf Queen

Yeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYeshanu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
What's R-rated?
I think in the States you'd call it X-rated. Sexually explicit material usually earns that rating.
Closed Thread