Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:13 PM   #6376
alanna
practical experience, FTW

alanna has earned our admirationalanna has earned our admirationalanna has earned our admirationalanna has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
Arrrrgh! Words per day! Not Pages!

On my very best day I've only managed a bit over a hundred pages.
"only." "ONLY" he says!!

Sarah Tuttle: Writing for Children http://www.sarahtuttlewriting.com

Local Love: Books for Children in New England http://sarahtuttle.wordpress.com
Old 08-30-2007, 01:06 AM   #6377
Niteowl

Niteowl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Wagner View Post
My biggest problem as a fiction writer is that I have no confidence. I think everything I write is crap.
Oh sweet Odin and Thor, I have the same... no, not feelings, conviction. It's not a good. Especially when I still feel that way AFTER the edit. I'm not sure if there is a solution to this problem. Perhaps write something new (and possibly) less craptacular? *shrugs*
Old 08-30-2007, 03:25 AM   #6378
Lilybiz
glad to be here

Lilybiz is a glorious beacon of lightLilybiz is a glorious beacon of lightLilybiz is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteowl View Post
Oh sweet Odin and Thor, I have the same... no, not feelings, conviction. It's not a good. Especially when I still feel that way AFTER the edit. I'm not sure if there is a solution to this problem. Perhaps write something new (and possibly) less craptacular? *shrugs*
When you love the work, it's painful if the work doesn't love you.

It's healthy to be able to critique our work honestly, but if we lack confidence completely maybe then it's not so healthy.

Have you (Niteowl, Mitch) received critiques? Have you found a group/mirror to shine your stuff into and get some feedback? Would that help you see where you stand?

If I were to reword those questions, what I would really ask is this: is your fear founded in reality? If so, you can do something: study the craft and improve your work. If the fear is founded in something else you can also do something: take the steps needed (therapy, voodoo, mountain climbing--whatever works for you) to improve your outlook.

One doesn't have to live in the fear that one's beloved work isn't good enough. My two cents on the subject.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:21 AM   #6379
Ava Jarvis
Too stupid to know fear

Ava Jarvis is a splendid one to beholdAva Jarvis is a splendid one to beholdAva Jarvis is a splendid one to behold
I suggest taking Jim's advice: find the works of authors you admire, and retype their chapters/stories/whatever. And listen with your writer's ear. We absorb style and writing tastes from what we read and which resonates with us; by retyping and internalizing, it's a more immersive form of reading.

It's what I'm doing to relearn all that I lost (and learn more on top of that). Helps confidence too.

It's also a good warm-up into 250 words per day.

And yes, it helps you be a better typer. (If you like, you can also find typing lessons and take those. It will help you feel less frustrated in all walks of writing later.)

Last edited by Ava Jarvis; 08-30-2007 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #6380
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
http://www.sff.net/people/yog/permission.pdf

Permission To Write Badly. Suitable for framing.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #6381
Ken Schneider
Absolute sagebrush

Ken Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKen Schneider is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:

Print it, and hang it up right in front of your face.

Does wonders for writer's block.

Jim, Have I missed any writing exercises while on my hiatus? Writing like a wild man.

Be well all, Ken

Last edited by Ken Schneider; 09-03-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #6382
cletus
I'm a king bee

cletus leaves trails of profuse coolnesscletus leaves trails of profuse coolnesscletus leaves trails of profuse coolnesscletus leaves trails of profuse coolnesscletus leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:

I have used this permission extensively over the last 2 days. The idea for the scene is in my head, but does not want to go onto the screen in an orderly fashion. One thousand words of pure crap that can be sorted through, shifted about, and shined up in a couple months when it is time to edit.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #6383
Lilybiz
glad to be here

Lilybiz is a glorious beacon of lightLilybiz is a glorious beacon of lightLilybiz is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
I have used this permission extensively over the last 2 days.
I use it extensively all the time.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:00 AM   #6384
Scribhneoir
Reinventing Myself

Scribhneoir is a glorious beacon of lightScribhneoir is a glorious beacon of lightScribhneoir is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by aertep View Post
I use it extensively all the time.
I carry it with me wherever I go.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #6385
NemoBook

NemoBook is on a distinguished road
My favorite warm-up is this new collaborative novel-writing site I just found, where they gather a bunch of writers to work on a single project (which the company publishes once the given book is finished).

There's an extensive outline for each project, broken down page-by-page, so it's not just willy-nilly exquisite corpse-style writing. They give you a synopsis for a given page and then four or five writers try their hand at writing 800-1000 words to flesh out that synopsis. The pages are rated and the best one winds up in the published book (with some editing on the back-end to make it all work together). A few of my MFA buddies are doing it too, so sometimes we play games with each other -- like, extra points for whoever can include the weirdest sandwich in their given page.

It's a young site, but it's been by far my most helpful "throat-clearing" warm up to do in the mornings before I get to my own personal work -- especially because there's a deadline and people are waiting for my work. Gets the cobwebs out and then I can dive in. Plus, it's another low-stress shot at publication. I love it.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:12 AM   #6386
Niteowl

Niteowl is on a distinguished road
Er, link?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #6387
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Things I've Learned Since My First Book Got Published by Cherie Priest
Old 09-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #6388
JoNightshade
has finally arrived

JoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
GREAT article. My novel hasn't even been published and I already have to deal with this one:

Quote:
You are now the foremost authority on the English language. At least, this is what all your friends/relatives who do not write will assume, and they will treat you like their personal diction consultant. While you are at work, you will receive phone calls from Florida, where your aunt wants to know about a comma she's considering for the church bulletin.
In addition to this, I am also percieved as a walking dictionary. Lately I've started saying what my mom always told me as a kid, "Oh, go look it up yourself."

Courting Greta has been released into the wide world!
I have also entered the world of self-pubbing with a short story, Christmas in the Californios, 1833.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #6389
Willowmound
Lightly salted

Willowmound has earned our admirationWillowmound has earned our admirationWillowmound has earned our admirationWillowmound has earned our admiration
How peculiar. I love being dictionary-man.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #6390
Lilybiz
glad to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowmound View Post
How peculiar. I love being dictionary-man.
Willowmound, you made me laugh! I enjoyed Ms. Priest's article, but that one puzzled me, too, because I do like being the family language authority (even when I don't have the slightest idea what I'm talking about).
Old 09-09-2007, 02:12 AM   #6391
NemoBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoBook View Post
My favorite warm-up is this new collaborative novel-writing site I just found, where they gather a bunch of writers to work on a single project (which the company publishes once the given book is finished).

There's an extensive outline for each project, broken down page-by-page, so it's not just willy-nilly exquisite corpse-style writing. They give you a synopsis for a given page and then four or five writers try their hand at writing 800-1000 words to flesh out that synopsis. The pages are rated and the best one winds up in the published book (with some editing on the back-end to make it all work together). A few of my MFA buddies are doing it too, so sometimes we play games with each other -- like, extra points for whoever can include the weirdest sandwich in their given page.

It's a young site, but it's been by far my most helpful "throat-clearing" warm up to do in the mornings before I get to my own personal work -- especially because there's a deadline and people are waiting for my work. Gets the cobwebs out and then I can dive in. Plus, it's another low-stress shot at publication. I love it.
Sorry, forgot to post the link. It's www.webook.com

I got involved with this pretty early, but I will check to see if they're looking for new writers.

Last edited by NemoBook; 09-09-2007 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:11 AM   #6392
NemoBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteowl View Post
Er, link?
Niteowl (or anyone else), here's the link. They're apparently looking for a ton of writers right now (moving into beta testing phase of the site), so if you're interested, register and apply here:

https://www.webook.com/register.aspx...9c3QhLMn35%2fI

I've been alpha testing for these guys for a few months, and it's a nice way to get the literary juices flowing in the morning. I'm not sure what they're looking for now, but I've made some extra $$ and been able to mess around with lots of genres (literary fiction, but also mysteries, thrillers, sci-fi, childrens, etc.). Totally worth it. There's info on the site, but PM me if you have any questions.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:36 AM   #6393
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Why books get rejected: Example #528907
Old 09-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #6394
allenparker
Naked Futon Guy

allenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quandry

I finished a writing my WIP. I've been pretty proud of this particular WIP and eagerly crawled into reading the first few chapters. I couldn't edit it. I read it, but I just couldn't get to "fixing" it.

Instead of thinking it would make Stephen King jealous, I wasn't sure who the audience was. I couldn't tell if there was a reason for reading it, or whether the book showed any value. It was either the best story I've ever written or the worst. I teetered on the brink of deleting it.

I knew the book was rough to the point of being raw. I knew some people would find it offensive. But I couldn't tell if what I had done was unique or crap.

I asked two trusted betas to read it. One thought it brilliant. The other couldn't finish five pages. To break the tie, I burned my mystery beta and asked her to read some pages. Her comments were more of the "I'd finish it, but only to find out why the guy was killing people."

Ever have one of these weeks? I see the book completely different from all the others and even I can't tell if it is my best work to date or some bird cage liner ready for publication through Dorrance.

Now what?

Old 09-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #6395
Lilybiz
glad to be here

Congratulations on finishing, Allen. It's a major achievement just to do that. The rest--the confusion--is interesting, and I look forward to hearing what you discover. I think it says your WIP is at least not boring or middle-of-the-road, and that's something.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:07 AM   #6396
bsolah
AW's Resident Commie

bsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Yeah, kind of interested to have a read myself, Allen.

Post it on SYW and leave a link, if you'd like.

Homepage | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Sanity Juxtaposed
Old 09-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #6397
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Give it three months in your desk drawer while you write something else.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #6398
Red Robin
Veni Vidi Scripsi

Red Robin is on a distinguished road
Since I'm still fairly new here this suggestion might seem completely crazy, but...

Why don't we have an Uncle Jim forum rather than a thread? 256 pages of thread is a little much.

Am I nuts? I don't think I'm nuts.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #6399
AceTachyon
Odd person

AceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Thank you, Uncle Jim.

Printed and framed.

Website Blog Twitter
Escapist fiction for everyone

KAT&MOUSE Season 2 boxed set is out! Kindle or epub
Old 09-21-2007, 10:16 PM   #6400
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

This isn't even the longest thread at Absolute Write.

Meanwhile, here's an Index to Miss Snark.