Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2007, 02:59 AM   #1
Sohia Rose
Will write for coffee

Sohia Rose is well-respected
AP Style - Square Feet?

Okay, this is driving me nuts. I looked through my AP Stylebook (2006) and couldn't find how to write this: 875,655 square feet. As I wrote it, it struck me to look it up, didn't seem right.

My (news) story is due soon and I like to have as clean of a copy as possible when I turn it in (so I won't look like an idiot!). So could'ya help me out?

Do I write out "square feet" or "sq ft" or somethin' else?
Sohia Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:42 AM   #2
Duncan J Macdonald
And now, back to Plotting!

Duncan J Macdonald has a double-platinum reputationDuncan J Macdonald has a double-platinum reputationDuncan J Macdonald has a double-platinum reputationDuncan J Macdonald has a double-platinum reputationDuncan J Macdonald has a double-platinum reputationDuncan J Macdonald has a double-platinum reputationDuncan J Macdonald has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohia Rose View Post
Okay, this is driving me nuts. I looked through my AP Stylebook (2006) and couldn't find how to write this: 875,655 square feet. As I wrote it, it struck me to look it up, didn't seem right.

My (news) story is due soon and I like to have as clean of a copy as possible when I turn it in (so I won't look like an idiot!). So could'ya help me out?

Do I write out "square feet" or "sq ft" or somethin' else?
I've always used sqft or ft2. But then, I'm an engineer.
Hamster #164
Duncan J Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:30 AM   #3
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Square feet is fine.

Or sq. feet.

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between • A Bunch of Stories
(2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews
maestrowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:02 AM   #4
benbradley
It's a doggy dog world

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I might abbreviate it as Sq. Ft. I like the ft-superscript-2 thing (though I don't care to type high-eigth-bit characters) as I'm an engineer too, but I'd be concerned some people might not understand. OTOH, there are a lot of people who don't understand what "square feet" are.
benbradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:26 AM   #5
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
SpongeBob has square feet.

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between • A Bunch of Stories
(2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews
maestrowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:11 AM   #6
CaroGirl
Living the dream

CaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My feet are sort of curvy. I'd have to go with more like a figure eight than a square.

Sorry to be no help. Math type things aren't my department.

BTW, I looked it up in my CP (Canadian Press) style book but, alas, it's only got metric. The conversion table, though, says to write it as: sq. feet.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
Sandi LeFaucheur
practical experience, FTW

Sandi LeFaucheur is a shiny, shiny jewelSandi LeFaucheur is a shiny, shiny jewel
What I would do is write "875,655 square feet (ft2)" the first time, and every other time I referred to any amount of square feet in the rest of the article, just put "ft2". Obviously, if this is the only reference to square feet in the article, you don't have to bother with the (ft2) bit.

But then, what is this article for? Is it for a technical journal? In which case, the readers will know what ft2 means. If it's for a worldwide audience, you may also wish to convert to square metres afterwards. I think the States is pretty well the only place that still uses Imperial measures. (And before everyone howls and jumps on my back, I'm probably wrong about that! But Canada, Europe, etc, are metric. When we do reports to Council at work, (I work for a Canadian municipality), we put measurements in metric first, followed by Imperial in square brackets.)

Last edited by Sandi LeFaucheur; 03-09-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Sandi LeFaucheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
alleycat
Beware.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I would use square feet.

By the way, this isn't a land mearsurement is it? In that case I would use acres.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My AP Stylebook is so old it measures in cubits, but my gut, usually fairly reliable, suggests that for a news story in the US press, you'd be fine with "square feet."

Hey, it works for Gumby, damn it!

Maryn, gut-truster

Last edited by Maryn; 03-09-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Maryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #10
Sohia Rose
Will write for coffee

Thanks everyone. I just used "square feet."

The paper usually goes with AP style, but with a few of their own. I turned it in last night, so I'll see what the copy editor did with it.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #11
Shadow_Ferret
Ferret Untombed

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The metric conversion chart in the AP Style guide has sq. feet, but that isn't an indication that that is how to present it in copy.

Funny how those abbrevations aren't listed. I think my copy is as old as Maryn's, too.

ETA: Found it, it's under Dimensions. It says "Use figures and spell out inches, feet, yards, etc. to indicate depth, height, length, and width."

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION

Last edited by Shadow_Ferret; 03-09-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #12
Sohia Rose
Will write for coffee

Yeh, I was pressed for time (it was going to be a cover story), so the managing editor was breathing down my neck to get it in quickly. We're talking about over 1500 words in less than two hours. That included my own editing and organization from notes with quotes and research information, not to mention I had to stop a couple of times to fact check.

I thought about subscribing to the AP style, online edition so I could use the "search" feature.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:37 AM   #13
veronie
practical experience, FTW

veronie has a spectacular aura
Yep, Dimensions. It's one of those hidden entries.
veronie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:40 AM   #14
WildScribe
Slave to the Wordcount

WildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ironic that I found this AFTER wondering about the same dilemma for the exact same reason today (working on a magazine article on a tight deadline). I used square feet as well. We'll see if my editor likes it that way or not.
Word total for 2012: 292,394
Sales total for 2012: 35

Check me out at KathleenTudor.com!

"The first problem of any kind of even limited success
is the unshakeable conviction that you are getting away with something
and that any moment now 'they' will discover you." - Neil Gaiman
WildScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #15
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Depends on what kind of prose you're writing. If you're writing standard fiction or nonfiction for a nonspecialize audience, spell it out. "Square feet" is fine (personally, mine are pretty elongated).

caw
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote