Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #26
PeeDee
Where's my tea, please...?

PeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As a popularity contest, I would be heartily uninterested. I haven't the time or the inclination to go harrass people into voting for me.

(Though if I got 7,000 people on AW to all vote for me. Hah. There's some power. )
PeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #27
CrankItTo11
practical experience, FTW

CrankItTo11 is on a distinguished road
I'd vote for you, PeeDee. If I remember correctly, I really liked the concept for your novel.

I am debating entering a trunk novel. I gave up on it long ago, so there isn't much to lose. Only problem is that it was edited down from novel to novella. I don't see any word count requirments in the rules, though...

CrankItTo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #28
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Julie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Worth
No, you send the entire ms plus the first three chapters in a separate file. They'll then post those first three chapters (2-10k words total) for 14 days so that all your buddies there can vote for it...or at least that's the worry expressed in the comments--that it's a popularity contest.
Their rules seem to be a bit fluid. Now the chapters are posted individually during the first three rounds, and must each be 2-10k.
Julie Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #29
CrankItTo11

So... OK, I've read everything on their website again. I think my brain is melting.

Anyhoo, it looks like they post your chapters for 14 days for voting. It seems to me, then, that the sooner you submit, the better. I mean, right now there aren't many submissions so you'll be getting more votes. Um... right?

If I submit this will be my first contest EVER. That's why I am even more confused than usual.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #30
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Julie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankItTo11
I mean, right now there aren't many submissions so you'll be getting more votes. Um... right?

If I submit this will be my first contest EVER. That's why I am even more confused than usual.
They say: 20 Round 1 winners are announced, 15 based on the highest number of votes and ratings from members of Gather.com and 5 selected by the Gather editorial team.

Votes and ratings--who knows how that's to be calculated. When I looked this morning, only one entry had been posted, and had received exactly one rating (4 out of 10). This is after being up for 12 hours, not a good sign. Other not so good signs: the site is very sluggish, and the contest is not prominently displayed.

Edit: Two hours later they're up to three ratings on the first submission, even though the piece is way too short by the rules (just 700 words). The second piece is three chapters instead of one, and even then barely makes the 2000 word hurdle. Apparently the lack of submissions is forcing them to post submissions that don't meet the standards.

Last edited by Julie Worth; 01-13-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:07 AM   #31
CrankItTo11

Thanks for the summary, Julie. So this contest is off to great start, eh?

I can't even find where the entries are posted. Could you post a link, or point me in the right direction? I don't know why I am having such a hard time navigating on gather.com.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:28 AM   #32
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

http://www.gather.com/first%20chapters

They now have 3 submissions...nope, back to 2.

Last edited by Julie Worth; 01-13-2007 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:39 AM   #33
CrankItTo11

The entires aren't too strong. Gather.com folks aren't shy about letting the authors know, either.

I am having serious doubts about this contest resulting in anything publishable. But... who knows. I think it's a great trunk novel contest (as in, one you are no longer submitting elsewhere) and a good opportunity to toughen up your skin. At least it is free.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:51 AM   #34
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Crikey, let me get this straight.

1) put your synopsis and bio in the body of the email

2) Put chapters 1,2,3 (in one document and make sure chapters are numbered) as an attachment

3) Attach each chapter seperately as an individual document.

Am I reading this right? So that's four attachments all together?

Subject line=First chapters competition Entry, and send all of this to firstchapters@gatherinc.com

Help!!!

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:58 AM   #35
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

According to the rules: http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.js...81474976883192

A) You should submit four (4) total documents. One (1) complete manuscript, and the other three (3) are each of the first three chapters, respectively. See the Submission Guidelines for additional requirements.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:03 AM   #36
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks, Julie.

Tri
Old 01-13-2007, 02:04 AM   #37
PeeDee

PeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPeeDee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tri? Are you submitting? Crank?

If you guys do, I will.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:05 AM   #38
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

That's it. You guys go first.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:06 AM   #39
triceretops
Super Browser

Here's what screwed with me:

You must also break out the first three (3) chapters, sequentially, in a separate document so that they may be posted on Gather.com.

My take is that this is not three seperate documents, but one document with three sequential chapters. Not...three attachments. One attachment.

Comments?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:09 AM   #40
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Dang, tri, I just posted that it was four! And that's copied from their FAQs.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:10 AM   #41
triceretops
Super Browser

Tri? Are you submitting? Crank?

If you guys do, I will.

I don't see any harm. It's free right? I've got one manuscript left. It just so happens that my agent is sending it around. I'll have to have a talkie with him about this, though. Heck, it doesn't matter where it gets picked up.

But...I have had pro non-fiction books published. Does that exclude me? I thought this was concerning genre fiction only.

Tri
Old 01-13-2007, 02:15 AM   #42
PeeDee

Right. Then when I get home tonight, I'll get the files and bits in order and figure out whether I'm submitting three files or eight or four or what, and I'll submit.

Which means if you guys chicken out, I'm coming for you.

*ahem*

Come on in, Julie. The water's fine...
Old 01-13-2007, 02:15 AM   #43
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Tri, the way I read it, if you've only published non-fiction, you're okay, or if you published vanity fiction, fine. But if your agent is submitting your ms, you're not.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:35 AM   #44
triceretops
Super Browser

Gak! Double Gak!

Tri
Old 01-13-2007, 02:38 AM   #45
CrankItTo11

OK, I'll do it. I'll submit it tonight. I'm submitting a book that I wrote about five years ago and I haven't looked at since... so I don't feel like I am risking much. It's so craptacular, but this will be it's last hurrah before it is electronically buried forever.

I think (I hope) it's OK if you've been published, so long as it isn't novel-length fiction.

As for the number of files, I don't think they are consistent in the instructions. I'm doing two because that is how I understand the submissions guidelines... if I'm wrong (which I realize the FAQs state say I am)... I'm wrong. I'll let you guys know if they write back to me and say I need to break it into seperate documents.

Here I go. Someone hold my hand....

*ieeeeeee* (sound of me jumping into contest)

Old 01-13-2007, 02:41 AM   #46
PeeDee

I'll be right behind you tonight. we shall storm the contest together.

You know. Unless we don't, or something.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:53 AM   #47
Siddow
I'm super! Thanks for asking

Siddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You guys are nuts.

I'm waiting until at least two weeks before deadline.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up three thousand times the memory.

Siddow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:51 AM   #48
Scrawler
Bored fanatic

Scrawler is well-respected
Last year, I was under the impression that Gather was a site for writers ready to post their work for critique, and polish their craft. I soon learned that it was nothing more than a "myspace gone bad" with flame wars, character assassinations against other members, circulating hate-list to new members via private email, false accounts created to slam other members, cliques campaigning behind the scenes to pump up ratings and votes for those in the circle, and bombarding "outsiders" with low ratings and harassing comments. Twenty word "articles" (many cut/pasted from Wikipedia or online newspapers with no sources sited) were posted to earn comments, which translated into points, which translated into gift cards or cash. I don't recommend anyone participate on the site, and would certainly be wary of entering into any agreement with Gather.com. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Besides, if you haven't spent the last year politicking on the site, building your "network", joining the appropriate cliques, and proclaiming your undying love to the ringmasters by faithfully offering lavish praise for their every misspelled and grammatically incorrect word, your work will be rated low and dismissed with negative comments. Or worse, ignored completely.
I'd rather get a legitimate agent rejection then go anywhere near that site again. I'm just glad I used a pseudonym there.
Scrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:05 AM   #49
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrawler
Besides, if you haven't spent the last year politicking on the site, building your "network", joining the appropriate cliques, and proclaiming your undying love to the ringmasters by faithfully offering lavish praise for their every misspelled and grammatically incorrect word, your work will be rated low and dismissed with negative comments.
Could be. "The Travel Clinic" seemed to be decent, interesting writing, but the first person to come along slapped it with a 1 out of 10.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:07 AM   #50
PeeDee

Whoa.

I'm very glad you posted that. That's interesting, in a worrying sort of way.