Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2007, 01:38 AM   #151
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
Well no worries uncross them. But they did confuse the heck out of me. I get a call last night from her assistant. She proceeds to ask me if i've found representation for my MS and then says that she will make sure Kim gets back to me quickly. This morning i get a R in my email. I confused as why in the world call me and ask me these things and then send a fast R the next day?

maybe i just don't get it...
If it is good enough to get this far then someone else will love it.
You just keep pushing on
waylander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:20 PM   #152
WordGypsy
practical experience, FTW

WordGypsy is a shiny, shiny jewelWordGypsy is a shiny, shiny jewel
Still no word here... *blows more air into her floaties and paddles around the waiting pool

I'm on Goodreads! http://tinyurl.com/ydkadyp
Preorder A Touch Mortal: http://tinyurl.com/235ssax
WordGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #153
Dragonfly45
Purveyor of the Sparkly

Dragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I also have a full out with Kimberly Whalen. I sent an equery on Oct. 16, got a request for the full on Oct. 17 from her assistant Stephanie Sun. I sent the full via e-mail that day and am waiting on pins and needles. I am starting to get a tiny bit paranoid that because I sent the full via e-mail it was somehow lost. The response time in the market listing is 4-6 weeks, but let me preface my question by saying I realize it often takes a lot longer. But when to ask for the status?

I love the stages I go through while waiting for agent responses...excitement, nerves, paranoia, despair, excitement again...sigh!

Chain of Command-from Stairway Press, Jan. 2013
tT- coming June 2013 from Stairway Press
CB- on sub
PbN- WIP
Dragonfly45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #154
Abbey
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Abbey is on a distinguished road
I would give it at least two months before asking for a status. It took KW at least that long to read my mss. Good luck!
Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:48 AM   #155
clara bow
Li'l Rug Bug

clara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by colbymarshall1 View Post
But when to ask for the status?
Two months is good, but given that this is holiday time, I'd give it three.

For me, it'll be three months around December 21st. Which means I probably won't email for a status until January, or later.

Or maybe not at all, I dunno.

>because I sent the full via e-mail it was somehow lost.

sorry, I forgot to add that when I saw Kimberly give a talk on query letters and discuss her submission policy, she said it's okay to email and request a confirmation that your materials were received, but no earlier than the one month mark. I did, and no worries.

Last edited by clara bow; 12-10-2007 at 01:52 AM.
clara bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:54 AM   #156
ChelseaWriter

ChelseaWriter has a spectacular auraChelseaWriter has a spectacular aura
Great thread. I've just read the entire thing in one sitting.

I got a request for my full manuscript today from Kimberly Whalen's asst. (I had e-queried her last night). Looks like a top-notch agency. Even if I get a rejection, at least I'll have gotten a "bite." That's always nice...

Good luck to all who have partials or manuscripts out with Trident currently...
ChelseaWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:50 AM   #157
Dragonfly45
Purveyor of the Sparkly

Dragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDragonfly45 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Random update: I didn't ever do a status check e-mai or anything, but out of the blue today (and on a Sunday, no less), a got an e-mail from Kimberly Whalen's assistant basically apologizing for the delay and saying the manuscript was being considered and they would be in touch at the beginning of the new year...so crossing my fingers big time!

Chain of Command-from Stairway Press, Jan. 2013
tT- coming June 2013 from Stairway Press
CB- on sub
PbN- WIP
Dragonfly45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:31 PM   #158
clara bow
Li'l Rug Bug

clara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by colbymarshall1 View Post
Random update: I didn't ever do a status check e-mai or anything, but out of the blue today (and on a Sunday, no less), a got an e-mail from Kimberly Whalen's assistant basically apologizing for the delay and saying the manuscript was being considered and they would be in touch at the beginning of the new year...so crossing my fingers big time!
wow, sounds like a good sign. If the assistant remembers/likes your work then there's a solid chance she'll say positive things to Kimberly about it. Good luck!

ps
obviously, i haven't heard anything about my full. oh well.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #159
rebobinar

rebobinar is on a distinguished road
Ooo, sounds promising, Colby! I just queried Paul Fedorko with Trident and am waiting to hear back. How exciting to know your ms is "being considered"!!!
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #160
TonyD.

TonyD. is on a distinguished road
Scott Miller asked for a full two weeks ago. Any thoughts on how long it will be before a response? Thanks.
TonyD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:31 AM   #161
clara bow
Li'l Rug Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD. View Post
Scott Miller asked for a full two weeks ago. Any thoughts on how long it will be before a response? Thanks.
I don't know about Miller specifically, but I would think you should hear within 4-6 weeks, sooner if the assistant loves, loves, loves your work. Fingers crossed for you!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:37 AM   #162
TonyD.

TonyD. is on a distinguished road
Thanks, clara. Cross your toes, too!!
TonyD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #163
KikiteNeko

KikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Signing a release?

If this has already been discussed, can someone point me to a thread discussing release forms?

I emailed Kimberly Warner at Trident Media agency.. they seemed reputable according to query tracker. Well, they responded to my equery today with a seemingly-form letter (it was addressed personally, but that was the only indication I wasn't joe somebody) saying that my "book sounds very interesting" and they would love for me to send the full manuscript. However, they won't read it until I sign a release and mail it to them...

Sounds a little sketchy.

Does anyone know about this?

ETA: Thanks for the info, peoples of AW. I feel better now.

Last edited by KikiteNeko; 03-06-2008 at 01:31 AM.
KikiteNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #164
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not sure if this is connected but it will keep you occupied till someone else contributes here.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...+Release+Forms
Old 03-06-2008, 01:17 AM   #165
lkp

lkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admiration
tomothecat, this is absolutely standard for this firm and not sketchy at all.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:19 AM   #166
Little Red Barn
haz own threads

Little Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tomo you would be very lucky to have such an agent represent you. Her sales alone are excellent!
Old 03-06-2008, 01:30 AM   #167
caromora
Still alive. Kind of.

caromora is a splendid one to beholdcaromora is a splendid one to beholdcaromora is a splendid one to behold
Okay, so it wasn't a matter of being busy and posting in the wrong thread earlier--the other one got merged here. That's relieving, because I thought I was losing it. That said, there's nothing "sketchy" about Trident. If one of their agents wants your full, send it! That's a FANTASTIC opportunity.

I'm waiting on a partial from Alyssa Eisner Henkin right now. Every part of my anatomy that can be crossed is right now.
caromora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:44 AM   #168
Hopcus

Hopcus is on a distinguished road
Good luck Caromora, that's awesome!
Old 03-06-2008, 04:51 AM   #169
Maui Author
Halfway between here and there

Maui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolness
Does anyone know how long it takes Jenny Bent to reply to a query? I sent her an e-query over a month ago, and haven't heard anything yet. I'm fine waiting, but if she is usually pretty fast, I might want to assume it got caught in the spam filter.
Maui Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:16 AM   #170
TheWritingGuy

TheWritingGuy is on a distinguished road
What does the "release form" entail? What is the author releasing?
TheWritingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:20 AM   #171
lkp

lkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admiration
TheWritingGuy, so far as I remember it, it basically says you can't sue them if they sell something later for someone else that you feel is like your work. I think they represent screenplays as well as novels, and that's a litigious area.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #172
Appalachian Writer
Somewhere in the hills....

Appalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Does anyone know how long it takes Jenny Bent to reply to a query? I sent her an e-query over a month ago, and haven't heard anything yet. I'm fine waiting, but if she is usually pretty fast, I might want to assume it got caught in the spam filter.
That's odd. As I recall, she rejected me within a day or two. Alas..so many have!

http://wkeverhart.blogspot.com
http://raphaelsvillage.com/
working revisions:
book 1...now at 97,702 complete! finished.
book 2...now at 40,551
Appalachian Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:27 AM   #173
KikiteNeko

KikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Aw. I accept you! *stamps face*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Writer View Post
That's odd. As I recall, she rejected me within a day or two. Alas..so many have!

KikiteNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #174
Maui Author
Halfway between here and there

Maui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolness
Thanks Appalachian Writer!

I'm also currently riding the rollercoaster of rejections...

Hmm, maybe I should requery her then...

I'll give it another week.
Maui Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #175
reenkam
aka cupcake

reenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Author View Post
According to agentquery.com, she's not accepting queries right now and is on maternity leave. That's probably why it's a no-response, I'm guessing.