Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #51
jkorzenko
practical experience, FTW

jkorzenko is on a distinguished road
Carmy -- I'll take a stab at the few questions I know I can answer.

Only submit one project at a time, wait for your response on that one and then decide what to do with the second ms.

Yes, it is professional and appropriate to mention previous representation as well as the houses that the ms you're submitting has been shopped to.

You probably shouldn't query until your 30-days are up unless you're upfront in the query regarding said 30-days. i.e. "My thirty day opt-out ends 10/31/06."

Good luck.

J.
jkorzenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #52
cuteshoes

cuteshoes is a shiny, shiny jewelcuteshoes is a shiny, shiny jewel
I got the release this week and sent it to my sister to look over. She's a second year law student at Harvard. She gave me approval to sign it. She also said its pretty iron clad in terms of suing them.
cuteshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:52 PM   #53
clara bow
Li'l Rug Bug

clara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Collier
Woe is me... my full was turned down. "I am just not enthusiastic' (sad lip) but very professional and polite. I do have another agent at the same agency reading a partial... keep on hoping!!!!
sorry to hear that ((hugs)). Fingers crossed on the partial!
clara bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:54 PM   #54
clara bow
Li'l Rug Bug

clara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ Bourg
Thanks to everyone who posted information about Trident. I queried one of the agents (from the New York office) Thursday night at 11:20 PM.

bjb
Good luck!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:56 PM   #55
clara bow
Li'l Rug Bug

I'm still waiting to hear back. First week of November it'll be six months (which doesn't mean a whole lot; jus' countin').
Old 10-23-2006, 09:45 PM   #56
Thomma Lyn
Cat Wrangler

Thomma Lyn is a shiny, shiny jewelThomma Lyn is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by clara bow
I'm still waiting to hear back. First week of November it'll be six months (which doesn't mean a whole lot; jus' countin').
Good luck to you, Clara! I'm still waiting to hear back on a partial manuscript, going on two months. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed so tightly they're tingling!

Thomma Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:20 AM   #57
jkorzenko

jkorzenko is on a distinguished road
Good luck, everyone!! I just equeried last week -- not even crossed the partial line yet.
jkorzenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:53 AM   #58
Thomma Lyn
Cat Wrangler

Thomma Lyn is a shiny, shiny jewelThomma Lyn is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkorzenko
Good luck, everyone!! I just equeried last week -- not even crossed the partial line yet.
Good luck to you, jkorzenko!

Thomma Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:16 AM   #59
Carmy
Banned

Carmy is a shiny, shiny jewelCarmy is a shiny, shiny jewel
Thanks, J. I'm going to give it a shot.

Good luck with your submission.
Carmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #60
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
New Agent at Trident Media

This just in from Publisher's Lunch:

"Alyssa Eisner Henkin will join Trident Media Group in mid-December as an agent for children's and young adult books. Formerly she was an editor at Simon & Schuster Books Children's, where she began her editorial career in 1999."

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:57 PM   #61
Maprilynne
Author Waiting in the Wings

Maprilynne leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaprilynne leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaprilynne leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaprilynne leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaprilynne leaves trails of profuse coolness
Wow, sounds impressive.

Maprilynne

You can Pre-Order my book from Amazon!
(Come on, you know you want to.)

Maprilynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:27 AM   #62
RLB
bundled

RLB has a double-platinum reputationRLB has a double-platinum reputationRLB has a double-platinum reputationRLB has a double-platinum reputationRLB has a double-platinum reputationRLB has a double-platinum reputationRLB has a double-platinum reputation
She does sound good. Unfortunately, I have a query out to another agent at Trident Media at this time, but as soon as that one rejects me, I will get one out to this gal STAT!
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:32 AM   #63
clara bow
Li'l Rug Bug

Has anyone corresponded with Ashley Seashore, Kimberly Whalen's assistant, since August? It's been almost eight months now since my manuscript was requested, and I'm paranoid Ashley doesn't even work there anymore after I saw an ad about a month ago for a literary assistant opening at Trident.

Just checking.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:06 AM   #64
JeanneTGC
I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
WPR Dominatrix

JeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This will proably fall under the "stupid questions" heading and get a "why don't you want to do it the way they ASK?" retort from Uncle Jim, but I gotta ask anyway...

Is everyone who is querying this agency actually filling out that incredibly long and intense form they have on their website? I would like to query several of their agents, but that form stops me cold. It looks to me like it would take me several hours to fill out competently, even though I have most of the information they want in one form or another. Is filling this form out a must to get them to ask for pages?

I'm sure it's defeatist thinking, but I really don't want to spend hours on this query, when the odds are that it will be rejected. I can spend (and have spent) that same time in querying several agents/pubs. So, I'm wondering if everyone is doing that and, if you are, how are you managing for it not to take up just a ton of time to complete?

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
Coming December 2, 2014, Universal Alien -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

Submit your poetry, humor & shorts to Raphael's Village!
JeanneTGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:40 AM   #65
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"Has anyone corresponded with Ashley Seashore, Kimberly Whalen's assistant, since August?"

Clara, KW requested a full ms from me in April via her assistant AS. I emailed a status query in July to AS and was told they were behind due to the summer hols, and to give them a while longer. In late September KW sent me a form rejection.

FWIW.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:10 AM   #66
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneTGC
Is everyone who is querying this agency actually filling out that incredibly long and intense form they have on their website? I would like to query several of their agents, but that form stops me cold. It looks to me like it would take me several hours to fill out competently, even though I have most of the information they want in one form or another. Is filling this form out a must to get them to ask for pages?
Their Elisabeth Weed requested a full ms, and I didn't have to fill out any form. She asked for it via email; but then, I'm one of those pesky "furriners" so maybe I'm the exception!

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi
aruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:25 AM   #67
JeanneTGC
WPR Dominatrix

JeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruna
Their Elisabeth Weed requested a full ms, and I didn't have to fill out any form. She asked for it via email; but then, I'm one of those pesky "furriners" so maybe I'm the exception!
Aruna, how did you query her in order to get her to request anything, let alone your full? I don't mean what did your letter say, I mean, did you just send her a query letter via the post and then she replied back?

Old 12-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #68
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Actually, I didn't query her at all, I queried Melissa Flashman. This is the mail Elisabeth sent me:

Quote:
My colleague, Melissa Flashman, forwarded your query to me. White Night sounds wonderful. I’d love to take a look. Feel free to send it to me as an email attachment.
BTW, it was an equery I sent to Melissa.

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

- Gandhi

Last edited by aruna; 12-04-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #69
JeanneTGC
WPR Dominatrix

Wow, how great.

So, it seems I could avoid that horrible form and just send a regular query. At least, that's my take and unless someone else says differently, I'm going with it.

Many thanks, Aruna!

Old 12-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #70
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

Jeanne, I just checked their website and I didn't see the long submission form. On this submission page,. they only ask for a regular query with the usual information. I think I got Meliss'as email from Agentquery.. that was back in July.

(posted this before reading your last entry! Best of luck to you!)

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

- Gandhi
Old 12-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #71
clara bow
Li'l Rug Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneTGC
Is everyone who is querying this agency actually filling out that incredibly long and intense form they have on their website?
Heavens, no. I just emailed a query. And that's not a stupid question at all.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #72
clara bow
Li'l Rug Bug

[quote=Unimportant
Clara, KW requested a full ms from me in April via her assistant AS. I emailed a status query in July to AS and was told they were behind due to the summer hols, and to give them a while longer. In late September KW sent me a form rejection.

FWIW.[/quote]

Thanks, and sorry about the rejection. Maybe mine got lost in the mail or something.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #73
HorrorWriter
It's a new dawn. It's a new day.

HorrorWriter is a glorious beacon of lightHorrorWriter is a glorious beacon of lightHorrorWriter is a glorious beacon of light
Well, I'm still waiting to hear a response to my snail mail query...lol. They're really busy. They will respond to all of us soon...hopefully! Good luck to all!
HorrorWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #74
BJ Bourg
New kid, be gentle!

BJ Bourg is on a distinguished road
Just an update to a message I'd posted earlier about Trident requesting my MS; Kimberly Whalen decided it wasn't what she was looking for. She sent a detailed letter explaining what she liked about my novel and what she thought was lacking. She and her assistant were very professional and courteous. For those curious about time, I first sent my e-query on October 19 and received a request for the whole MS the next morning. I sent it the same day and received my final word on November 13. So, less than a month for the whole process.

Take care,

bjb
BJ Bourg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #75
BJ Bourg
New kid, be gentle!

BJ Bourg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimportant
"Has anyone corresponded with Ashley Seashore, Kimberly Whalen's assistant, since August?"

FWIW.
Alexandra Bowe was the name of the assistant to Kimberly Whalen who corresponded with me.

bjb
BJ Bourg is offline   Reply With Quote