Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #701
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hmm, my post seems to have disappeared during the transfer of this thread from AW Roundtable. It was a long one, too.

Oh well. My main point was this. If Trident is proposing to guide its authors through the ever-changing electronic self-publishing process, providing advice and making referrals, this might be termed Assisted Self-Publishing, and it could be a legitimate agency function. Done thoroughly and ethically, with the usual agently functions thrown in, it could be well worth a 15% commission.

If the agency starts actually designing ebooks, though, that's verging on publishing in my mind. The mention of sending previously unpublished books on this route also raises questions. Would the agency advise this right off the bat for some books? Under what circumstances? A book with a definite but limited market might be a legit candidate. Or would Assisted Self-Publishing be a fall-back measure for books not taken on elsewhere?

One thing's for sure. The SP gurus should soon be howling at this invasion of their turf by LEGACY PUBLISHING MINIONS!

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #702
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've been researching other mentions of this online, and I have a few answers already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer Mom View Post
A couple of questions. Do you pay for these services? The editing and cover design? Or is this covered by the commission mentioned at the end?
I gather that the services are covered by the commission. I may be wrong...

Quote:
New titles as well as backlist? Original material? Partner with trad. and non-trad publishers? Are they going to be encouraging their authors to self-publish now or to write for their e-imprint? Are they shopping your work to publishers? What do they mean by non-traditional? Epubs?
Yes, new titles as well. For instance, mss they are enthusiastic about but were unable to place with commercial publishers. Other questions: I don't know. Yet.

Quote:
So you are "self-publishing" but they are keeping a commission and all reporting goes through them? That isn't really self-publishing. Looks more like they are the publisher to me. They handle editing, marketing, cover art, etc. and you receive a portion of the income. Smells to me like they are setting themselves up as the publisher.
No, the author is the publisher. That is, all rights stay with the author, unlike other agencies which act as bone fide e-publishers. Here, the author would not have a publishing contract with Trident. Trident acts as a manager, and the author pays them a commission. To my mind, that avoids the conflict of interest that was so controversial with the agent-as-publisher model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer Mom View Post
You can also look around at other publishers. There are some epubs out there which do take reprints and publish author backlists. It's a good compromise if you don't want to do all the formatting and covers and stuff yourself. Shop around and get yourself the best deal you can. Good luck.

This is not what I want to do; the very idea of shopping around for a publisher, looking for deals, makes me feel tired, and I do not want to self-publish on my own. The very reason Trident's project appeals to me is because I would have an adviser at my side giving me guidance. For my backlist book, I already have a lucrative and vey attractive possibility in the works; if that fallls through, then I prefer the Trident model to e-publishing myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post

Oh well. My main point was this. If Trident is proposing to guide its authors through the ever-changing electronic self-publishing process, providing advice and making referrals, this might be termed Assisted Self-Publishing, and it could be a legitimate agency function. Done thoroughly and ethically, with the usual agently functions thrown in, it could be well worth a 15% commission.
This is how I see it: Assisted Self-Publishing. It would be perfect for this one book I have in mind.
Quote:
Or would Assisted Self-Publishing be a fall-back measure for books not taken on elsewhere?
This seems to me to be the main advantage for authors who are agented but whose agent could not find a publisher for them. In the past, such an author would be eventually dropped and have to write a new book. This, I feel, opens new doors.
Quote:
One thing's for sure. The SP gurus should soon be howling at this invasion of their turf by LEGACY PUBLISHING MINIONS!

HOW DARE THEY!!!!

Facebook

Now Out Yes it's a linky! USA
On Amazon! Yes, that's a linky too! UK

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi

Last edited by aruna; 09-27-2011 at 10:18 AM.
aruna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #703
alexalex
figuring it all out

alexalex is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know what happened to Alanna Ramirez at this agency? Thanks.
alexalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:49 AM   #704
Anonymity
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Anonymity is on a distinguished road
I was just wondering, are the majority of you using the form on their website to submit your queries or are you sending them via regular e-mail?
Anonymity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #705
popgun62
Keeper of the pace.

popgun62 has a spectacular aura
Is there a form? I sent mine via regular e-mail to Mr. Gottlieb. I've received a request for my MS, as well. Look at each agent's bio to see how they prefer to receive queries. Also, if you're a published author you should put that in the subject line.
popgun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #706
Anonymity

Anonymity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun62 View Post
Is there a form? I sent mine via regular e-mail to Mr. Gottlieb. I've received a request for my MS, as well. Look at each agent's bio to see how they prefer to receive queries. Also, if you're a published author you should put that in the subject line.
I was referring to their terms and agreement webpage that they say you should fill out before sending the actual query.
Anonymity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #707
popgun62
Keeper of the pace.

Anonymity, I saw the form on the website and I think you have to fill it out before they will consider your query. I'm a published author, but I still had to turn in a form similar to that one when they requested my manuscript.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #708
popgun62
Keeper of the pace.

Received a rejection on my manuscript from Scott Miller after only five weeks. Not a bad turnaround time. Oh, well, moving on.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #709
ScribeLady
practical experience, FTW

ScribeLady is on a distinguished road
It wasn't until I received a request for a full from Mr. Gottlieb's assistant, that was asked to submit particulars on their website.

Scribelady
ScribeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #710
Nandini

Nandini is on a distinguished road
Queried Alyssa Henkin: 10/14
Request for Full: 10/17

I filled out the terms form on the website first. Then sent an email query right after, and mentioned that I'd agreed to the terms and conditions via the web form.

UPDATE: Retracted my full in November for a revision. Just sent it back on 2/12. No word yet.

Last edited by Nandini; 02-22-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Nandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #711
dag556

dag556 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexalex View Post
Does anyone know what happened to Alanna Ramirez at this agency? Thanks.
Ms. Ramirez is no longer with the agency. She has moved to S&S, in the subsidiary rights department.
dag556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #712
ScribeLady

ScribeLady is on a distinguished road
Robert Gottlieb -Trident

Has anyone recently dealt with Robert Gottlieb? I sent them a full about two months ago, still haven't heard anything.

Scribelady
ScribeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:17 AM   #713
popgun62
Keeper of the pace.

I sent him something and he referred it to Scott Miller. The next day I got a full request and a rejection 5 weeks later. That's my story.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #714
lisa17

lisa17 is on a distinguished road
Has anyone heard from Alex Glass since the end of 2011?
lisa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #715
alvin123
I wonder.... is there another you?

alvin123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walton View Post
Landing an Agent from Trident Media Group is like hitting a Home Run in your first Major League game.
In other words, you have a 1- 2% chance of landing them *sigh* but nothing less expected of the publishing word. >: D Makes me want to try them anyway muhwuwhahwa

Beta reading is frozen. Please read my beta post before PMing me. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...=154927&page=8

alvin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #716
shari
Writing and loving it

shari is well-respected
Anyone heard back on a full request from Alyssa Henkin recently? Mine's going on two months and just wondering what her response time is.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #717
Kate C.

Kate C. is on a distinguished road
Hi there! I wasn't sure where to put this one... It seems like you guys group these by the agency, which is why I didn't put this in its own post.

I am new to the agent and query world. I've never queried (and no, I'm not looking for advice), so I don't know how these things are supposed to work.

I'm an indie and I've made a modest name for myself by self-publishing a couple of books. Nowhere like Amanda Hocking or anything!

A few days ago I was contacted via email, OUT OF THE BLUE, by someone claiming to be from the Trident Media Group of NY. I looked up their website to see if they were legit (which it seems they are) and she is listed as an agent, but it seems so weird that someone would email me. I've never queried anywhere and never even tried to go the traditional route, so I'm very confused. She wanted a copy of my book to read, which didn't seem like a huge deal to me, so I gave one to her.

Is this a scam? Should I be suspicious? It was my understanding that indies (especially ones that aren't super successful) were persona non grata to the traditional publishing world.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

-Kate
Kate C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #718
Hathor
Goddess of Rationalization

Hathor is a glorious beacon of lightHathor is a glorious beacon of lightHathor is a glorious beacon of light
I remember reading about a scam outfit calling themselves by the same name. However, here you are dealing with an agent from the legit guys. Or seem to be -- is the email address the same one you can find for the agent?

It is unusual to be contacted, but then I've read Trident is establishing an ebook operation. Your being contacted could be a function of that. Or this agent heard about your book in some way.

Just remember that the money flows toward the author. If you are asked for any money, you know you're not dealing with the legit Trident Media.
Hathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #719
Hathor
Goddess of Rationalization

Hathor is a glorious beacon of lightHathor is a glorious beacon of lightHathor is a glorious beacon of light
Here you go:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/director...ent-Media.aspx

This particular Trident Media is based in Alexandria VA and looks to be a vanity publishing outfit.

The great literary agents are based in New York.

I'll keep my fingers crossed you are dealing with the good guys.
Hathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #720
oshun55

oshun55 is on a distinguished road
I'd call the agency and confirm. If it is legit you'd be glad you did. If its a scam no one will blame you.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #721
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate C. View Post

A few days ago I was contacted via email, OUT OF THE BLUE, by someone claiming to be from the Trident Media Group of NY. I looked up their website to see if they were legit (which it seems they are) and she is listed as an agent, but it seems so weird that someone would email me. I've never queried anywhere and never even tried to go the traditional route, so I'm very confused. She wanted a copy of my book to read, which didn't seem like a huge deal to me, so I gave one to her.

Is this a scam? Should I be suspicious? It was my understanding that indies (especially ones that aren't super successful) were persona non grata to the traditional publishing world.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

-Kate
There's a thread on here somewhere about a self-published writer whose e-novel is doing very well on the e-book lists. (I'll find it for you in a minute.*)
She was contacted by a major agent who offered representation for the sub-rights to the book. So this sort of thing does seem to happen, and if the agent's name is on their website, then it sounds possible.

ETA: *here's the direct link to the post: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...9&postcount=35

Facebook

Now Out Yes it's a linky! USA
On Amazon! Yes, that's a linky too! UK

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi
aruna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #722
thedavebright

thedavebright is on a distinguished road
I'm new to the boards but I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that there is hope! I am previously unpublished and only 21 and I recently managed to land an agent at Trident! I queried Robert Gottlieb and was referred to my agent Adrienne Lombardo through him. She is just starting to take on clients (maybe that's why I had a chance!) and I'm happy to be a part of the Trident Family. We all know the story of rejection (I abandoned a previous project and dealt with 80 plus rejections on this one) but I just want to say that landing a spot with a big agency is possible - as the cliche says, never give up!
thedavebright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #723
Kate C.

Kate C. is on a distinguished road
I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice! I've read the links and will do my best to be an informed author.

You were all very helpful.
Kate C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #724
nancy sv
30 months on a bicycle...

nancy sv is a glorious beacon of lightnancy sv is a glorious beacon of lightnancy sv is a glorious beacon of light
Is there anything current about Kimberly Whalen? The last mention I can find of her was 2010. She's got my manuscript and I hope she's still OK, but can't find anything.

I am just a mom who decided to go for a bike ride. On the longest road in the world.

Some people say Iím exceptionally brave.
Others say Iím outrageously foolish.
I donít think Iím either.

Read more at www.familyonbikes.org

Facebook Twitter
nancy sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #725
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Location: Between the middle of nowhere and where the hell am I?
Carleree has earned our admirationCarleree has earned our admirationCarleree has earned our admirationCarleree has earned our admiration
Alyssa Henkin passed on my full (4 month turnaround) and I was wondering if anyone knew if a no from one is a no from the agency. Can I query another agent there? Would I have to submit that form again?
Carleree is offline   Reply With Quote