Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
Good Word
still crazy after all these years
AW Moderator

Good Word is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGood Word is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGood Word is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGood Word is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGood Word is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGood Word is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGood Word is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGood Word is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGood Word is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGood Word is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGood Word is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Found a good one--Elixir, by Gary Braver

So I was in the book store and this one caught my eye. It's a biotech thriller about a guy who discovers, essentially, the fountain of youth in a medicinal plant while in a rainforest in Papua New Guinea. He brings it to the States, and the pharmaceutical company he works for catches wind of his private development of this rare plant that prevents human aging, and things get pretty twisted. Very cool, and it even has a shaman at the beginning (I love the shamanic stuff).

It's got moral dilemmas, a good plot, and solid writing. Well-researched, too.

The funny thing is, it turns out to be by a teacher I had many years ago, Gary Goshgarian (Braver is his pseudonym).

Anybody read it?

Or anything else good lately?

www.wordmountain.com

Last edited by Good Word; 11-07-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Good Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
aadams73
A Work in Progress

aadams73 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaadams73 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaadams73 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaadams73 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaadams73 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaadams73 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaadams73 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaadams73 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaadams73 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaadams73 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaadams73 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ooooh that sounds like something I'd really like. I love biotech thrillers. And what a neat coincidence!

I just finished Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris. The Harper and Tolliver books are good, but there's a lack of zing in these books. I'm not sure I could put my finger on what doesn't quite work for me.

Yesterday I picked up Stephen King's Lisey's Story. I'm only a few pages in so I'm not quite sure what I think yet.

Website | Blog | Openings That Work | Twitter | Goodreads | Facebook | Google+

WHITE HORSE, coming April 17 (US/Canada), April 24 (Australia), and April 26 (UK), 2012 from Emily Bestler Books/Atria (Simon & Schuster).
aadams73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
Linda Adams
Soldier, Storyteller

Linda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Cool! I may have to hunt that one down since we have the Elixir of Life in ours, too (though done very, very differently).

"The Sea Listens" in Enchanted Spark
Linda Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:53 AM   #4
Soccer Mom
Crypto-fascist
SuperModerator

Soccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds great. I love biotech thrillers. I'll add it to my reading list.

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti
Soccer Mom is offline   Reply With Quote