Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #4426
Teinz
The One Ring?

Location: Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
Teinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to behold
"What the Hell!?" shrieked John Lamely when finally, after having lived a particular sinful life, he was thrown in the fiery chasms of Tartarus.
Teinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #4427
GCU_Dramatic Exit
practical experience, FTW

GCU_Dramatic Exit is on a distinguished road
"This starship is a big place and you really need to look where you're g
o
o
o
i
n

g

err guys, a little help here"
GCU_Dramatic Exit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #4428
AndreF

AndreF has earned our admirationAndreF has earned our admirationAndreF has earned our admirationAndreF has earned our admiration
A young boy realized that the very existance of his home could reopen the wounds of the great war.

FIXED AS REQUESTED.

Last edited by AndreF; 02-22-2011 at 10:24 PM.
AndreF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:54 AM   #4429
ShapeSphere
Hello, Hooray

ShapeSphere is a shiny, shiny jewelShapeSphere is a shiny, shiny jewel
In answer to the question, only Welsh androids dream of electric sheep.

"Now... you will see me one more time, if you do good. You will see me... two more times, if you do bad."
ShapeSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #4430
Zazarok
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Zazarok is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThorne View Post
Desfrit had already killed twelve of his offspring; only four hundred to go.
This one here is my favourite. I laughed , props to you.
Zazarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #4431
elfletcherauthor
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

elfletcherauthor is on a distinguished road
"Well that wasn't as fun as I expected," said Karl as he pulled his broken sword out of the muck, and wiped the blood from his face with the back of his hand.
elfletcherauthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #4432
badducky
No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.

badducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazarok View Post
This one here is my favourite. I laughed , props to you.
Right, lots of new folks turning up around here, and that's fantastic!

But, it's high time for a quick refresher in the rules.

1) First lines only, that are clearly speculative in nature, to propel the narrative forward.

2) Run-on sentences, and near-run-ons are frowned upon. Ergo, squeezing a few extra clauses in with a gratuitous semi-colon or em-dash is not quite right!

3) This is not a chitchat thread, so if you have a post to comment on someone else's post, for instance, do include your entry. Like this...

My entry:

Ergodic literature had to be banned after the singularity when a book club's reading of "House of Leaves" drove the mental micromachinery insane.

badducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #4433
AlexPiper
Wayward Wordsmith

Location: Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caffeine
AlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admiration
Welcome to the game, newcomers! Sorry, ducky... I was trying to police the thread for a while when you seemed absent, but I got eaten by RL.

Three days before my tenth birthday, the Feds showed up at my parents' door to charge me with unlicensed reincarnation.

Piper's Pocket Muse (Tumblr) | Twitter
AlexPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #4434
AndreF

AndreF has earned our admirationAndreF has earned our admirationAndreF has earned our admirationAndreF has earned our admiration
Neil Armstrong violated the intergalactic peace treaty when he walked on the moon.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #4435
pcw27
figuring it all out

pcw27 is on a distinguished road
Fourth dimension travel was pivotal to the completion of this book, because it allowed me to travel to a time when I'd already written it.
pcw27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #4436
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bessie the cow gulped nervously as the strange silver saucer descended through the clouds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #4437
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
Alfred Pembrook had never worked a day in his life, which was really saying something since a day on his home planet of Alpha Vega lasted 31 earth years.

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #4438
pcw27
figuring it all out

pcw27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai View Post
Alfred Pembrook had never worked a day in his life, which was really saying something since a day on his home planet of Alpha Vega lasted 31 earth years.
Actually that's not saying much at all. Now if a day took 31 earth minutes...

In the spirit of my original post I'll retroactively correct the mistake.

The botched teleport delivered Myrin to the inside of a massive tetrahedron, which was unfortunately home to three giant eagles.

Last edited by pcw27; 02-25-2011 at 06:11 AM.
pcw27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #4439
unruley700
save us from sleep and what we are

unruley700 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunruley700 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunruley700 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunruley700 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunruley700 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunruley700 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunruley700 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunruley700 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcw27 View Post
Don't break the rules!!! Ducky will find you...he'll always find you.

I didn't stab him with my psyonic blade, he just walked into it.

Jack, Jinn & Gumbo

Last edited by unruley700; 02-25-2011 at 08:53 AM.
unruley700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:22 AM   #4440
AlexPiper
Wayward Wordsmith

AlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcw27 View Post
As unruly noted, even a reply to another post -- like this one I'm making now -- must include a first line. The rules of the game are listed not far above your post, where Ducky last reiterated them. If you do not wish to draw down anatine retribution (or at least, a polite chastisement), make sure to stick to them!

Other than that, welcome to the game! Do play as often as you like, just make sure every post contains a first line. And on that note...

Many people reacted to the discovery that reality was a computer simulation with fear or panic, but a few decided that the universe's resource use must be kept to a minimum in order to avoid the end of the world, which they referred to as the Great Rebooting.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:32 AM   #4441
badducky

badducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There's a method to the madness, you know. Minimizing the chitchattery makes it very easy for anyone to join into the thread, without having to spend days scouring over the past to figure out what people are referencing.

My entry:

America was famous for its soybeans and its soy-based dictatorships.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #4442
badducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruley700 View Post
I didn't stab him with my psyonic blade, he just walked into it.
This is a comma splice. See, two independent clauses joined only by a comma?

That's a run-on sentence, textbook. Let's fix this, shall we?

"I didn't stab him with my psyonic blade because he walked into it."

inelegant, true, and in fiction, I would suggest making these two independent clauses two sentences.

Does this make sense, people?

My entry:

Talk to the squid only if you think the translation computer can figure it out for you.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #4443
AlexPiper
Wayward Wordsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by badducky View Post
"I didn't stab him with my psyonic blade because he walked into it."

Inelegant, true, and in fiction, I would suggest making these two independent clauses two sentences.
Arguably, this is precisely the place a semicolon works /without/ cheating: "It wasn't as if I meant to stab him with my psionic blade; he walked into it on his own."

It's still clumsy, yes, but it's connecting the two clauses in a legitimate way. Still, the semicolon road is a treacherous path to tread, and you might slip and tumble into less-legitimate uses.

Oh... right. First line.

I'd always supported affirmative action for aliens, but sharing a cubicle with one that regarded my race as a snack food was starting to give me an ulcer.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #4444
Donkey
I ain't got TIME to bleed!

Donkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Commander Evanston abandoned us on this desolate planet without arms or ammunition, that is true, but he did leave one piece of advice that would prove invaluable: Forget the past.

Last edited by Donkey; 02-26-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #4445
AndreF

Relics from Earth's Cold War will destroy the valuable alliance with our newly found celestial neighbors.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #4446
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The robotic dog purred, much to the annoyance of its' creator...

Quote:
Quote:
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:09 AM   #4447
Rhubix
New kid, critique harshly!

Rhubix has a spectacular auraRhubix has a spectacular aura
Joseph kicked his robot dog, sick of it's incessant purring.

previous wip -shoddy draft completed- ~100k - will return when I'm stronger
Current wip- planning stage.

Sketchbook
Rhubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:32 AM   #4448
BigWords
Geekzilla

The professor wondered how a robotic dog could have managed to defecate on the floor of his workshop...

Quote:
Quote:

Old 02-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #4449
AlexPiper
Wayward Wordsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittenmay View Post
"The spy smirked, self-satisfied. “Deniam, so easy to fool.” "
Welcome to the game! However, this particular entry doesn't quite fit with the rules:
  1. Every post must contain a first line, even when replying to another post (as I am here).
  2. The first line must be one sentence. No more, no less. No making long garden-path sentences haphazardly glued together with semicolons; you will be caught and suffer the correction of the Duck-Master of the Game (badducky).
  3. The line must be clearly one that opens a science-fiction or fantasy story. Dragons, robots, space travel, time travel, there must be some element of the fantastic to it.

Something more like:

My day took a sharp left turn towards the surreal when the target sat up, cursing under his breath as he stuck a finger into the hole I'd blown in his head.

...works. A spy isn't necessarily speculative or fantastic in nature. An unkillable immortal spy? A bit more speculative!

Hope that helps. And again, welcome to the game!

(ducky et al, the example given above is my first line for this entry!)

Old 02-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #4450
Rhubix
New kid, critique harshly!

Rhubix has a spectacular auraRhubix has a spectacular aura
"You had me at pulse cannon."

previous wip -shoddy draft completed- ~100k - will return when I'm stronger
Current wip- planning stage.

Sketchbook
Rhubix is offline   Reply With Quote