Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2006, 02:38 AM   #26
billythrilly7th
Banned

billythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave
I like the pencil and the X. Maybe I'm just old.
Me too.

No joke.

Magic markers and make a big X in the box next to your candidate.

No problems.

Except for the morons who can't do that either.

I counted ballots last year for the Colorado elections as some of you may remember. It was a mark the X ballot.

Pick FIVE candidates.

Idiots picked SIX.

CHOOSE ONE CANDIDATE...

IDIOTS picked TWO.

Adios ala your vote, hump.

But generally it worked great. We fed the paper ballots into the machine and it counted them.

Any disputed ballots, overvotes, undervotes, PEOPLE WHO CAN'T COLOR WITHIN THE LINES, went to a team of two people. A conservative and a democrat and they would decide what to do with the vote. And there weren't any problems.

Thank you.
billythrilly7th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:40 AM   #27
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by billythrilly7th
Me too.

No joke.

Magic markers and make a big X in the box next to your candidate.

No problems.

Except for the morons who can't do that either.

I counted ballots last year for the Colorado elections as some of you may remember. It was a mark the X ballot.

Pick FIVE candidates.

Idiots picked SIX.

CHOOSE ONE CANDIDATE...

IDIOTS picked TWO.

Adios ala your vote, hump.

But generally it worked great. We fed the paper ballots into the machine and it counted them.

Any disputed ballots, overvotes, undervotes, PEOPLE WHO CAN'T COLOR WITHIN THE LINES, went to a team of two people. A conservative and a democrat and they would decide what to do with the vote. And there weren't any problems.

Thank you.
We are in complete agreement on this one.

caw.
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:43 AM   #28
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
But some people couldn't follow directions and then whined when their votes didn't count so then we moved to electronic voting and everyone is whining about that.
Naaaah. Electronic voting came along as an inevitability owing to development of the technology and the premise (probably false) that it would save money and be more accurate. It was a natural succession to the old punch-card voting machines, and had little or nothing to do with people whining about their votes not counting.

But it's a horror waiting to happen, for all kinds of reasons.

caw.
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:43 AM   #29
English Dave
practical experience, FTW

English Dave is a glorious beacon of lightEnglish Dave is a glorious beacon of lightEnglish Dave is a glorious beacon of light
Here's an idea. Pick ONE candidate. Mark X. The End.
English Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:47 AM   #30
billythrilly7th
Banned

billythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird
But it's a horror waiting to happen
Yes.

Yes it is.

It's a bad idea.

Power failures, corrupted software, no paper trails.

It's awful.

In NY we always went into that boothy thing and shut the curtain and pulled the lever thingies. What kind of voting is that? I don't even get it. Is the machine just counting the number of levers pulled or is pulling the lever causing some type of paper punch.

This thing...

http://www.liducks.com/images/soEdit...ooth%20web.jpg

Whatever. Seemed to work good.

When it comes to voting and technology I refer to the old Thrilly adage...

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Mortimer Thrilly the Great

Last edited by billythrilly7th; 10-17-2006 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:22 AM   #31
icerose
Lost in School Work

icerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Yeah, well luckily we don't have those laws and never will.

I suggest you do a little more in depth analysis of the law that was passed regarding enemy combatants and all of your "habeas corpus" worries and contentions.

Thank you.
Yes, alone it isn't much of a threat. HOWEVER, coupled with the Patriot Act, anyone inside or outside the US can be considered an enemy combatant and arrested without due cause, and this would give them even more wiggle room to not even tell you why you are in prison.

Couple that scary thought with electronic balets and dang, I'm glad I live in a very small town.

I helped write this!!!!http://www.ibnbattuta.tv/
icerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:49 AM   #32
billythrilly7th
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerose
anyone inside or outside the US can be considered an enemy combatant and arrested without due cause
Please let me know when an American citizen, residing within our borders, is considered an enemy combatant, pulled from his home and thrown in jail without due cause and not told why he's in jail.

I will happily take their case pro Bono.

I am nothing if not pro Bono.

Thank you.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:51 AM   #33
English Dave

English Dave is a glorious beacon of lightEnglish Dave is a glorious beacon of lightEnglish Dave is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Please let me know when an American citizen, residing within our borders, is considered an enemy combatant, pulled from his home and thrown in jail without due cause and not told why he's in jail.

I will happily take their case pro Bono.

I am nothing if not pro Bono.

Thank you.
You, me and a few other like minded people. Tomorrow the world!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:57 AM   #34
billythrilly7th
Banned

Quote:
You, me and a few other like minded people. Tomorrow the world!
lol....

Dave, I must warn you....

Habeas Corpus does not apply to YOU. So, please be careful. I don't think they let you messageboard post down at Gitmo.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:58 AM   #35
Andre_Laurent

Andre_Laurent has a spectacular aura
Quote:
:eye roll with a snort sound effect emoticon:
I live in Ohio. I voted. There were no problems.
Andre_Laurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:01 AM   #36
Andre_Laurent

Quote:
Which is exactly what a fair number of dictators do and have done historically. Castro has elections, doesn't he? Mugabe, too, I believe. Saddam Hussein had elections. The Soviets had elections.

Elections only work well as long as the public maintains trust in their fairness. It bothers me considerable that for the U.S. public, by all the polls I've seen, that trust is eroding. Florida 2000 and Ohio 2004 didn't help it any.

caw.
If someone is so dumb that they can't figure out how to vote, they shouldn't be allowed to in the first place because obviously, they aren't smart enough to know what they are voting for anyway.

Last edited by Andre_Laurent; 10-17-2006 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:05 AM   #37
Andre_Laurent

Quote:
Naaaah. Electronic voting came along as an inevitability owing to development of the technology and the premise (probably false) that it would save money and be more accurate. It was a natural succession to the old punch-card voting machines, and had little or nothing to do with people whining about their votes not counting.

But it's a horror waiting to happen, for all kinds of reasons.

caw.
As a computer programmer, I am highly qualified to say this is a very bad idea.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:05 AM   #38
billythrilly7th
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_Laurent
If someone is so dumb that they can't figure out how to vote, they shouldn't be allowed to it the first place because obviously, they aren't smart enough to know what they are voting for anyway.
Of course.

http://lonestartimes.com/images/Benz...nging_Chad.jpg
Old 10-17-2006, 04:06 AM   #39
English Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_Laurent
If someone is so dumb that they can't figure out how to vote, they shouldn't be allowed to it the first place because obviously, they aren't smart enough to know what they are voting for anyway.
I have difficulty motivating myself for one X. Do you live in the real World?
Old 10-17-2006, 04:09 AM   #40
Andre_Laurent

Quote:
Do you live in the real World?
I try not to.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:09 AM   #41
billythrilly7th
Banned

Quote:
I have difficulty motivating myself for one X. Do you live in the real World?
Don't you still have Kings and Queens?

I have no idea how that place works.

I'm pretty sure you don't even get to vote.

But I'm not positive.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:25 AM   #42
English Dave

Quote:
Don't you still have Kings and Queens?

I have no idea how that place works.

I'm pretty sure you don't even get to vote.

But I'm not positive.
I rest my case. lol
Old 10-18-2006, 12:06 AM   #43
Shadow_Ferret
Snow? Already?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd get outraged, but I have no idea what habeas corpusal is except a term they use on the lawyer shows.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:35 AM   #44
TheGaffer
Docking Bay 94

TheGaffer has a golden reputationTheGaffer has a golden reputationTheGaffer has a golden reputationTheGaffer has a golden reputationTheGaffer has a golden reputationTheGaffer has a golden reputation
Quote:
Elections only work well as long as the public maintains trust in their fairness. It bothers me considerable that for the U.S. public, by all the polls I've seen, that trust is eroding.
As they say, it's not the voting, it's the counting.

And habeus corpus is the right to challenge your detention in a court of law - to be given a reason why you're being detained. And this bill would, indeed, suspend it based on the whim of the president, which is too much trust to have invested in any one man.

I took the rejection pledge.

2006 pledge: queries -- 27/40.

2007 Pledge:
To finish first draft of WIP. 362 pgs of an estimated 362 pgs. Finished. ROCK AND ROLL!!!
To send out 40 queries for the other completed WIP.
Currently: 0/40. This didn't happen.

2008 Pledge:
To change tons of diapers. In progress.
To edit/do first rewrite in 2007's WIP.
Also, maybe to get like 15 queries out, but it won't be easy.

"Anybody can make up statistics to prove their point. 14% of all people know that." -- Homer Simpson
TheGaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:36 AM   #45
icerose
Lost in School Work

icerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret
I'd get outraged, but I have no idea what habeas corpusal is except a term they use on the lawyer shows.
Habeas corpus is your right to know why you have been arrested.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:45 AM   #46
Shadow_Ferret
Snow? Already?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerose
Habeas corpus is your right to know why you have been arrested.
Wasn't even aware I had that right.

But they keep talking about a Military commission. The military has it's own rules. Is this something that will effect the military, or us civilians?

I would have prefered a real link that explained it in more detail instead of a typical Oberman diatribe.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:30 AM   #47
billythrilly7th
Banned

Quote:
Is this something that will effect the military, or us civilians?
It will only effect non-citizen enemy combatants who don't have constitutional rights.

Anyone who tells you otherwise would not be clear thinking.

So, sleep very well, Shadrock. It's all good in da hood.

Thank you.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:32 AM   #48
billythrilly7th
Banned

Quote:
Wasn't even aware I had that right.
Yep. YOU do.

Khalid Sheik Mohammad and others like him do not.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:34 AM   #49
icerose
Lost in School Work

Not quite so billy,
It says enemy combatant. With the hunt for terrorists inside the United States, that applies to every US citizen if they suspect you are an enemy combatant, a terrorist.

Combine that with the Patriot Act that can take anyone into custody without due cause, without a warrant, and can listen and infringe every bit of your privacy without a reason, you have a bad situation.

This brings on very bad flashbacks to the World War II and cold war campaign of "Who's the Communist" except I think this time will be much worse.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:40 AM   #50
billythrilly7th
Banned

Your analysis of the Patriot Act is frighteningly incorrect, alarmist and funny.

No offense.