Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #251
Melissa_Marr
New kid, be gentle!

Melissa_Marr is a shiny, shiny jewelMelissa_Marr is a shiny, shiny jewel
Yes, it's the same address. I'm suspecting that someone acquired the name though. I can't say for certain, but Rachel is my ex-agent, and I've read enough of her letters that I can say with very strong belief that this is someone who's being dishonest.

Look, too, at the first blog post: "I am back for blogging, ill be posting content regularly from now. Check back for my updates" It has a comma splice, errors in capitalization, absent apostrophe, and absent period. That isn't something I think she'd do.

Look now at the re-posts of her earlier entries. She uses colons, introductory phrases with correct commas , appositives, and the like. She wouldn't resume her blog w an entry punctuated like the first entry--even if it was merely going to be a series of re-posted entries from before . . . which they obviously are bc she references asking "Nancy" questions, and she hasn't been at an agency with Nancy for almost 2 years.

Personally, I suspect the blog is being used to air the grievances that show up in the replies to the entries.
The Blackwell Pages (with Kelley Armstrong; Little, Brown; 2013-15)
Made For You (HarperCollins; Sept 2014)
Melissa_Marr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #252
Kathleen42
crushing on fictional characters

Kathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wouldn't be the first time someone has impersonated an agent online. Hopefully she'll become aware of it and let people know one way or another.

HEMLOCK now available from Katherine Tegen Books, an imprint of HarperCollins

Website * Twitter * Goodreads
Kathleen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:18 AM   #253
Toni1953
practical experience, FTW

Toni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of light
It's odd, though. On her page on the folio site when you click the link to her blog it takes you to the new one. If someone's impersonating her, how could they link from the Folio site?

Doesn't make sense.
Coming 2014 from Berkley Prime Crime: MEOW IF ITS MURDER
The First Nick & Nora Mystery!
Toni1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:28 AM   #254
Kathleen42
crushing on fictional characters

Kathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni1953 View Post
It's odd, though. On her page on the folio site when you click the link to her blog it takes you to the new one. If someone's impersonating her, how could they link from the Folio site?

Doesn't make sense.
  • My website links to www.abc.com because ABC makes sprockets and I love sprockets.
  • A year later, ABC lets their domain registration lapse and someone buys up the domain.
  • The new domain owner puts up their own site on www.abc.com but, instead of selling sprockets, they make pedometers.
  • I haven't checked the links on my site for awhile and I don't know that the domain is now owned by another company.
  • Someone visits my site and clicks the link looking for sprockets. They are surprised.
Not saying this is the case, but it's a fairly common occurrence on the internet. You mentioned that she reps you. Might be worth mentioning the next time you're in touch with her--just in case it's not her using the username.

HEMLOCK now available from Katherine Tegen Books, an imprint of HarperCollins

Website * Twitter * Goodreads

Last edited by Kathleen42; 09-26-2009 at 02:44 AM.
Kathleen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:37 AM   #255
HJW

HJW is well-respected
What a horrible thing to do. I used to enjoy the real Rachel Vater blog.

If this is the work of a disgruntled writer, they've totally messed up their career.

HJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:47 AM   #256
Giant Baby
Oh, the humanity.

Giant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for President
I read Melissa_Marr's post, and my "conspiracy theory" hackles raised immediately. Then I clicked over. Apologies for the doubts, Melissa. You actually toned down the red flags. No way the same writer wrote the first post and the rest. Not without going back and fixing it after sobering up, at least.

Whatever this is, it's weird. And unsettling, in my opinion. That is one elaborate and time intensive complaint letter. And that is one perseverative commenter. It all gives me the heebie-jeebies, quite frankly.

Who the hell is Margaret? -Twizzle

Giant Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:33 AM   #257
Epiphany
Don't kill the bar, Dude.

Epiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And they spelled "writting" wrong in one of their tags

Track of the Week: Harald Kloser: The End
Epiphany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:54 AM   #258
CaitlinK18
"Sephiroth is my bishie!"

CaitlinK18 is on a distinguished road
I'm one of Rachel's current clients, like Toni, and we talk pretty regularly, so I think I'd know if she was back to blogging. And she's not. This isn't her.

So congrats on torpedoing your potential career, Anon. Blogger. Good jorb there.

www.caitlinkittredge.com

CaitlinK18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #259
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I emailed Ms Vater to warn her (actually, I emailed another agent at her agency, as I didn't have her address) but haven't heard back. It's horrible, and potentially criminal, for someone else to impersonate her in this way.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #260
Melissa_Marr
New kid, be gentle!

Melissa_Marr is a shiny, shiny jewelMelissa_Marr is a shiny, shiny jewel
I had sent a note to her agency (Folio) abt it the same night I posted my suspicions on here, & they are following up on it.
The Blackwell Pages (with Kelley Armstrong; Little, Brown; 2013-15)
Made For You (HarperCollins; Sept 2014)
Melissa_Marr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:08 AM   #261
Lamp Here
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Lamp Here is on a distinguished road
When i clicked on "user info" I saw this:

Name: newcoolwriter
Birthdate: 04-12
Bio
I am a nice guy

edit: that was already mentioned. Yeah. I'm silly.

Last edited by Lamp Here; 10-01-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Lamp Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:43 AM   #262
Sarah Christine
I think you can do better.

Location: Where did the floor go? (This is not an existential question.)
Sarah Christine is well-respected
Just thought I'd update that the journal has been suspended!

Twittering about your driving skills. And stuff. // Shared Art Blog for sketchbook vomit.
Sarah Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #263
AntheaL
Mostly Cheerful

AntheaL is on a distinguished road
Name change and Agency move for Rachel Vater

This thread has been inactive for a while, so this might not be the right place to post this info, but Rachel Vater is now going by Rachel Coyne. She is at Fine Print Literary as of March 2011.
AntheaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #264
DreamWeaver
Shakespearean Fool

DreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Well, crap. There go all my Darth Vater jokes.

Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters!
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #265
CaitlinK18
"Sephiroth is my bishie!"

CaitlinK18 is on a distinguished road
Just wanted to chime in that the name change is b/c Rachel got married. And yes, has moved to FinePrint.

www.caitlinkittredge.com

CaitlinK18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:31 AM   #266
Windcutter
starry sunrise

Windcutter is a splendid one to beholdWindcutter is a splendid one to beholdWindcutter is a splendid one to behold
I wonder if there was an answer to the disappearance mystery after all.
Windcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #267
AntheaL
Mostly Cheerful

AntheaL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
Well, crap. There go all my Darth Vater jokes.
lmao~

Currently querying 67k YA fantasy
2 fulls, 3 partials, 10 Rs
AntheaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #268
tonten

tonten is on a distinguished road
On agentquery, it says submission guidelines, "QUERIES ONLY!"

So I assume it's not safe to send 5 sample pages along with it too?
tonten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #269
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
She's also a no-response agent, so take that into account as you query her.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #270
lauralam
Moonshade

lauralam is a shiny, shiny jewellauralam is a shiny, shiny jewel
Yes, I queried her in September and never had a response. Shame.

False Hearts - A near-future thriller - January 2016 - Tor/Macmillan

YA GLBT gaslight fantasy:
Pantomime - February 5/7 2013 - Strange Chemistry Books
Shadowplay - January 2/4 2014 - Strange Chemistry Books
Micah Grey #3 - 2015 - Penglass Publishing

Vestigial Tales - Self-published short stories/novellas.

Website / Twitter / Goodreads
lauralam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #271
Toni1953

Toni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of light
The last I heard was she'd left Fine Print and possibly agenting for good. Can't get definite confirmation on that, though. What a shame, back in the day she was considered one of "the" agents.
Coming 2014 from Berkley Prime Crime: MEOW IF ITS MURDER
The First Nick & Nora Mystery!
Toni1953 is offline   Reply With Quote