Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #51
FionnJameson
Fionn: 0/Year: 24

FionnJameson is on a distinguished road
Sent out an e-query on 7.15.08 and got rejected on the 22nd. Pretty prompt.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #52
vixey
C'est la vie!

vixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Glad I stumbled onto this ... I queried Irene Goodman (romance) on June 3 (query, synopsis, ten pages) but received no response. Since a few of you have received R's (an acknowledgement, at least, IMHO), I'll try another agent there.

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.-Dr. Seuss

"Thank God for fingers and muses. Writing is like singing the blues on a laptop."-cwj
vixey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #53
Boomergirl
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Boomergirl is on a distinguished road
I had a pretty prompt reply from this agency, too. One week after I sent out the query, I received a form letter rejection. While it obviously stings to get a rejection, it's ultimately easier to live with than waiting and agonizing, so I felt that this agencies dealings were pretty professional.
Boomergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #54
DerekJager
practical experience, FTW

DerekJager is well-respected
Continued fast response--all by e-mail

After asking for 3 chaps, IGA asked for the entire manuscript -- by e-mail in
a word.doc form.

So far, so good--and nice not to have to spend all the money and time printing and shipping with return postage the manuscript!
DerekJager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:08 AM   #55
vixey
C'est la vie!

vixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Got the R today (74 days out). Is something in the water? It seems I'm getting all kinds of responses recently (R's and partial requests). I guess everyone's coming back off vacation. Woo-hoo! Time to send out more queries!!

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.-Dr. Seuss

"Thank God for fingers and muses. Writing is like singing the blues on a laptop."-cwj
vixey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #56
KikiteNeko

KikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just to acknowledge the questions about querying another agent within this agency after a rejection: Don't do it. I queried one agent, got a partial request from another. If you look at their website, they are a very small, personal group who has several roundtable discussions about authors. I don't think a formidable query/partial gets thrown away without being passed on to another agent who may be more interested than the one queried. If you get a no, it's a good chance that every agent there has seen it.

KikiteNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:09 AM   #57
j.s.cutler
figuring it all out

j.s.cutler is on a distinguished road
Goodnight Irene

I got a form rejection from the Irene Goodman Agency after a partial. It didn't even have my name on it.

I'm not usually very sensitive about rejections, but that's pretty weak if you ask me. I've gotten better rejections from a straight query letter.

I won't bother with this agency again.
j.s.cutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:48 AM   #58
Karen Duvall
Chalice the Hatchet Knight

Karen Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaren Duvall is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I attended a fantastic writers conference last weekend and Miriam Kriss was one of the agents in attendance. I didn't pitch to her (I already have an agent) but we had fun chatting at a couple of parties during the weekend. She is intense! And I mean that in a good way. Her passion for books is palpable and I think she knows her clients' work better than they do. She admits to loving to talk about what she does and would answer any question anyone threw her way. Wow, what a dynamo. No wonder she's such a successful agent.
Twitter
Facebook

KNIGHT'S CURSE -- A Publisher's Weekly Top 10 Pick for Fall 2011 (Harlequin Luna)
DARKEST KNIGHT -- Sequel to KNIGHT'S CURSE released March 2012 (Harlequin Luna)
SUN STORM -- Novella in Harlequin's TIL THE WORLD ENDS Anthology
Karen Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #59
sistermorphine
getting weird, going pro

sistermorphine leaves trails of profuse coolnesssistermorphine leaves trails of profuse coolnesssistermorphine leaves trails of profuse coolnesssistermorphine leaves trails of profuse coolnesssistermorphine leaves trails of profuse coolness
Still waiting on the verdict for my full with IG after four months, but I figure it's worth it. I suppose it's good training ground for learning how to wait, which seems to be nine-tenths of this business.

A Temperate Woman - 60K/100K

www.sarahevekelly.com

Tweeteous

sistermorphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #60
JenWriter
Word Count Slayer

JenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputation
After pitching Miriam Kriss my YA urban fantasy/paranormal in July, she called to offer representation on Friday of last week.

Current WIP: 2k / 80k written
Short Stories Out: 2

Youtube - Twitter - Blog -
Facebook

Last edited by JenWriter; 10-06-2008 at 11:28 PM.
JenWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #61
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
OOOOOHHHH!!
Huge Congo Rats.
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:19 AM   #62
KAP
Hangin' with the gargies

KAP is a glorious beacon of lightKAP is a glorious beacon of light
Great news, Jen!

kap
Dark Knowledge - When good and evil intertwine, taking one means accepting the other.
Above Haldis Notch - Physical death is tragic, but the death of a spirit is a life forever lost.
Daeva - Under contract with Aqueous Books for November 2015 release.
KAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #63
sarahevekelly

Jen, congratulations! I was wondering who it was. Have heard nothing but good things about MK. Hope to see you on the shelves soon!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:48 AM   #64
shameless
Superlative Type A

shameless has earned our admirationshameless has earned our admirationshameless has earned our admirationshameless has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenWriter View Post
After pitching Miriam Kriss my YA urban fantasy/paranormal in July, she called to offer representation on Friday of last week.

Wahoo!! Major congratulations! She's a fantastic agent!
shameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:25 AM   #65
JenWriter
Word Count Slayer

JenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputation
Thanks everyone! I'm pretty psyched.

Current WIP: 2k / 80k written
Short Stories Out: 2

Youtube - Twitter - Blog -
Facebook
JenWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:00 AM   #66
Dara
figuring it all out

Dara is on a distinguished road
I just received a rejection from this agency today, but it was a very polite and helpful one. The response time between query and rejection was about one month.

By the way, congrats to Jen.

Brought to Life--Coming in March '09 from Lyrical Press.
Dara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:58 AM   #67
LovelyRita

LovelyRita is on a distinguished road
Congrats, Jen!
LovelyRita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #68
Poetlore

Poetlore is on a distinguished road
I queried the Irene Goodman agency on the 4th or so of January, and they asked for the full manuscript very shortly after that (within the week). My manuscript is now at the Harvey Klinger agency and Irene Goodman, and if I don't stop checking my email every nanosecond, I'll never write again!
Poetlore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #69
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
I queried them with Book 1 on 8/31 and Book 2 on 12/10. Still waiting for a response.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #70
happywritermom

happywritermom is a glorious beacon of lighthappywritermom is a glorious beacon of lighthappywritermom is a glorious beacon of light
Babara Poelle of the Irene Goodman Agency is awesome!!! She ultimately rejected me, but not without first helping me improve my proposal 1,000 percent and giving me plenty of agent advice. She certainly did not have to put any time or energy into me or my project, but she did. How many other agents would do that?
happywritermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #71
ohjammer

ohjammer is on a distinguished road
Someone gave a rejection some thought

I queried Irene Goodman with a letter, synopsis and a middle chapter, largely because of her good press here in AW. Got a form rejection that had been modified to give the writer some direction:
"Thank you for your query. We appreciate you sharing your work with our agency.

We did review your proposal, and unfortunately we are going to pass on representing it. The premise just didn't resonate with us as much as we would have liked. Your writing does show promise and we wish you the best in your search for representation. Your book deserves an agent who can put the requisite enthusiasm behind it.

We appreciate the hard work and diligence needed to get in the door, and since this is a highly subjective business, you may well find success elsewhere. We wish you all the best with your writing.
Regards, "

Scott
ohjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #72
alias octavia
smooshed

alias octavia has a double-platinum reputationalias octavia has a double-platinum reputationalias octavia has a double-platinum reputationalias octavia has a double-platinum reputationalias octavia has a double-platinum reputationalias octavia has a double-platinum reputationalias octavia has a double-platinum reputation
This letter is a form. I got the same one from Mr. Sternfeld. I guess it is nice enough, but if they send it out to everybody it doesn't really resonate as helpful comments to improve the pitch or the writing. I like the thought of giving a nice rejection but in reality not everyone can have writing that shows promise and a weak premise. I like the short, sweet ones: "not for me" or "doesn't fit in with my list" better than being let down gently. IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohjammer View Post
I queried Irene Goodman with a letter, synopsis and a middle chapter, largely because of her good press here in AW. Got a form rejection that had been modified to give the writer some direction:
"Thank you for your query. We appreciate you sharing your work with our agency.

We did review your proposal, and unfortunately we are going to pass on representing it. The premise just didn't resonate with us as much as we would have liked. Your writing does show promise and we wish you the best in your search for representation. Your book deserves an agent who can put the requisite enthusiasm behind it.

We appreciate the hard work and diligence needed to get in the door, and since this is a highly subjective business, you may well find success elsewhere. We wish you all the best with your writing.
Regards, "

Scott

"The point is not to take the world's opinion as a guiding star,
but to go one's way in life and to work unfalteringly
neither depressed by failure nor seduced by applause."
-Gustav Mahler
alias octavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #73
Leukman
Pernicious...n'stuff.

Leukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I equeried Miriam in late January.

The next day I got a response requesting 50 pages.

Odd thing was that the response seemed like a form, and as if to reinforce that impression, whoever sent it forgot to put a name at the bottom. No joke - it said, Sincerely, . . . (emptiness) - - like there should've been "<insert name here>"

So, I responded without making issue of it, sending along the 50 pages, and assuming that it'll get back to Miriam.

Any thoughts?
Leukman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:26 AM   #74
Kmcelhinny

Kmcelhinny is a candidate for sainthoodKmcelhinny is a candidate for sainthoodKmcelhinny is a candidate for sainthoodKmcelhinny is a candidate for sainthoodKmcelhinny is a candidate for sainthoodKmcelhinny is a candidate for sainthoodKmcelhinny is a candidate for sainthoodKmcelhinny is a candidate for sainthood
I just got a rejection from Irene Goodman today...they sent it twice? Does that mean my story is double bad?
Kmcelhinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #75
Spring
Little Miss Sunshine

Spring is a shiny, shiny jewelSpring is a shiny, shiny jewel
Just checking out this thread.
I sent a query to Poelle on 2/11 and I've yet to hear back. Their site says to give them 1 to 2 months, so I suppose I'm nearing the 'nudge' mark.

This waiting is hard! I really liked what I read about this agency so I'm still holding out (slightly limp) hope.
Spring is offline   Reply With Quote