Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #26
Robin Bayne
~writes for Him~

Robin Bayne has earned our admirationRobin Bayne has earned our admirationRobin Bayne has earned our admirationRobin Bayne has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by picsbypat View Post
I once got a response from a publisher after 23 months, but i had moved in the time between my first submission and their response, so they may have lost my address.

Pat

I once got a rejection 2 and 1/2 years after submission--the book had already been pubbed elsewhere by then. (I hadn't moved)

Robin Bayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:47 AM   #27
Repunzel
figuring it all out

Repunzel is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I equeried Irene in mid-June, pasting in the requested 10 pages and synopsis and received a request for a full last week. For a busy agent, I consider that the height of professionalism. I'd definitely put them at the top of my list for future projects as should those of you with projects fitting their needs.
Repunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:17 AM   #28
Repunzel
figuring it all out

Repunzel is on a distinguished road
Red face

Heard in the negative from Barbara Poelle, but with helpful comments and within a reasonable amount of time.

I would definitely submit to this agency again. They are totally professional and respectful of the writer.
Repunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #29
Prawn
Writing is finite,revising infinite

Prawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputation
I e-queried Barbara Poelle on 8/24 and got a request for the first three chapters on 10/24. I had signed in the interim, but that should give you an idea of her time-line.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:43 PM   #30
Viking
figuring it all out

Viking is on a distinguished road
I have dealt with many agents and never dealt with an agency this disorganized. They lost a proposal, as I found out after calling when 3 mos. had passed. I sent the 2nd one to Barbara Poelle because she was convinced if it went to her it would not get lost. That one got lost, too! She then asked for the proposal by email and I sent that and she quickly asked for the full ms., but said it would take time since Irene was going on vacation> I said I'd wait till after Labor Day because I feared it would disappear like the two proposals had. Get this: I sent the ms. and before it got there they had a meeting and decided my project wasn't for them, so I wasted all that time and money (the proposals were bound and illustrated, printed on good stock, etc., and sent Priority). I should never have bothered sending the book, I suppose, because any agency that can lose two proposals in a row should not inspire confidence.

Last edited by Viking; 10-27-2007 at 06:52 AM. Reason: incomplete
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:24 AM   #31
Carmy
Banned

Carmy is a shiny, shiny jewelCarmy is a shiny, shiny jewel
Go with what's said on the agent's website. It's probably more up to date than what's written elsewhere.

I emailed Irene Goodman in August and got the rejection two days ago with the same wording as yours, Edita.
Carmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:58 AM   #32
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(Re: Weiser & Elwell. Jake Elwell is now with Harold Ober & Assocs. There's no sign Ms. Weiser is still agenting.)
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:55 AM   #33
jgold
Grinning

jgold has a golden reputationjgold has a golden reputationjgold has a golden reputationjgold has a golden reputationjgold has a golden reputationjgold has a golden reputation
Stupid question

Okay, so I know this is a stupid question, but here goes...

Back in August, I queried Irene Goodman via email. When I didn't hear from her by December, I chalked it up as a rejection and queried Miriam Kriss instead. January comes, and Miriam Kriss responds to the August query requesting the full, which I happily send to her.

Now, here's the problem. I just received a rejection from the second query I sent. BUT WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? Is that a rejection to the full, or is it just someone cleaning out the system?

I know I could avoid a lot of angst simply by sending an email to the agent, but I don't want to come across as even more stupid by asking for clarity on a query letter. So I thought I'd get some input from you guys first.

Thoughts, anyone?

Rock 'em Sock 'em in Abyss & Apex
Little Knife Houses forthcoming in Shock Totem
Carnival of Stone forthcoming in Newmyths.com
Between forthcoming in Bards & Sages Quarterly
jgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:21 AM   #34
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold View Post
I know I could avoid a lot of angst simply by sending an email to the agent, but I don't want to come across as even more stupid by asking for clarity on a query letter.
Status-query Kriss about her progress with your full. Either she'll say "Didn't you get the rejection I sent you?" or not. In either case, you don't look like an idiot--it seems pretty clear the folks at IGA are used to mail going astray
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:12 AM   #35
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Miriam Kriss was one of the agents who had my full when I accepted my agent's offer. I emailed her to let her know, and actually got a really nice "Congratulations, and please think of me if you're ever searching for representation again in the future", which actually made me cry a little it was so nice.

ETA: It still makes me feel all funny inside when I type "my agent"!

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:35 AM   #36
Kasey Mackenzie
Cover Karma - 3 for 3 KICK@$$!

Kasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ahhh, DecemberQuinn, that's fabulous! =)

Black-Hearted Betrayal - Penguin/Ace June 26, 2012.
Kasey Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:54 AM   #37
mbagrad
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

mbagrad is on a distinguished road
Irene Goodman Literary Agency

I recently sent a manuscript to the Irene Goodman Literary Agency. I looked them up and am convinced that they are a reputable agency but I was wondering if any one out here has had any personal experiences with them that they could share.
mbagrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:00 AM   #38
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Our beloved David McAfee has direct experience with Irene. You might try giving him a PM.

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:25 AM   #39
David McAfee
God of Squirrels

David McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for President
Chris,

Wrong Irene, dude.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:40 AM   #40
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Gak. My mistake, Dave.

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #41
FionnJameson
Fionn: 0/Year: 24

FionnJameson is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking of queries Miriam. Does anyone have personal experience with her recently?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:30 AM   #42
JenWriter
Word Count Slayer

JenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputation
Fionn - I pitched her last Thursday at a conference. She's terrific. Very nice and personable.

Current WIP: 15k / 70k written
Short Stories Out: 4

Youtube - Twitter - Blog -
Facebook

JenWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:49 AM   #43
FionnJameson
Fionn: 0/Year: 24

FionnJameson is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Jen! I've just sent MK a query...*fingers and toes crossed*

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what genre were you pitching?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:59 AM   #44
Tasmin21
Coming January 21st!

Tasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I queried Miriam back in March and never received a response.
JJD4: 72,030/80,000
Tasmin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:00 AM   #45
JenWriter
Word Count Slayer

JenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputationJenWriter has a double-platinum reputation
Fionn - YA paranormal. She requested the full so I'm assuming that's the type of thing she's looking for right now.

Good luck!

Facebook

Old 07-20-2008, 12:11 AM   #46
Beware_of_Italics
Different from the rest

Beware_of_Italics is on a distinguished road
I received a rejection from Irene on May 6th and am wondering of it's okay to query another agent there now. The website doesn't say not to query other agents if rejected by another, but still.... I wouldn't worry about it so much if they had individual email addresses for queries. That's really what's stopping me right now.

Beware_of_Italics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:13 PM   #47
JenWriter
Word Count Slayer

I don't know, but I was under the impression one person there looked at the queries and then passed them on to the agents it was addressed to if they thought it was appropriate. I could be wrong though.

Facebook

Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #48
Kasey Mackenzie
Cover Karma - 3 for 3 KICK@$$!

Kasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Italics View Post
I received a rejection from Irene on May 6th and am wondering of it's okay to query another agent there now. The website doesn't say not to query other agents if rejected by another, but still.... I wouldn't worry about it so much if they had individual email addresses for queries. That's really what's stopping me right now.
Personally, if it were a small agency that shared a common email address for queries, I wouldn't query twice because it's most likely that if whoever read the query thought it was appropriate for one of the other agents they would have passed it on. Now, in larger agencies or ones where they have their own email addresses and do NOT specify otherwise, I would have no problem querying other agents in the agency. But this is just my own personal opinion. Good luck either way!

Black-Hearted Betrayal - Penguin/Ace June 26, 2012.
Kasey Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:04 PM   #49
Beware_of_Italics
Different from the rest

Beware_of_Italics is on a distinguished road
That's what I was leaning towards, too.

Well, darn. I'll just have to give up on Irene Goodman Literary Agency.

Beware_of_Italics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #50
DerekJager
practical experience, FTW

DerekJager is well-respected
Fast turnaround from IGA

I e-mailed IGA with my NF query on Wed Aug 6, heard back from "Claire" on Sat Aug 9 (works on Saturday?) asking for 3 chapters by e-mail.

So, no postage needed and I NEVER include my chapter text in an e-mail -- try sending it to yourself, it always looks awful.

I send the query--even if they ask for a query and sample chapters--and tell them I can send the chaps as an attachment.

When they respond, I ask if they prefer a word.doc or PDF, and most prefer word.doc.

And I had to chuckle at the LONG overdue rejection letters (years???) and those who appreciate "nice" rejection letters. I think I have always received nice or kind rejection letters--it's the professional thing to do so I don't think it's anything to be excited about. (A NO is still a NO.)

I find e-mail rejections tend to be a little shorter and to the point!
DerekJager is offline   Reply With Quote