Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #751
chaddy
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

chaddy is on a distinguished road
I received a rejection on my full, but they are still at the top of my wish list. While I am still querying that book around, I have been working on another. I can not wait until it's finished so I can send it to them.
chaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #752
ether
practical experience, FTW

ether is a shiny, shiny jewelether is a shiny, shiny jewel
I queried Joanna on the 13th. Someone else on QT also queried on the 13th and got an immediate form-R like 15 minutes later, but no word on mine yet. Her agency's query blog also states Joanna's out of the office from August 13th-23rd. So I wonder if mine hit her email box after she left.

Sooo... waiting until she gets back, and then I'll wait the two weeks.

[Website + Blog|

HUSHED (2011) | HOLLOWED (2012) | SUICIDE WATCH (2012) | MADE OF STARS (2013)
ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:50 AM   #753
Rowan
Wielder of the Witchblade

Rowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not sure if this is "new" news but thought I'd post anyway:

http://ncliterary.blogspot.com/2010/...uidelines.html
Quote:
Starting Novemeber 1st, Nancy Coffey Literary will be implementing new query guidelines. *insert partying here* We’re particularly excited about change #1, and want to share with you now so that you have time to get excited, too! We’ll continue to remind you as the time gets closer, but for now, drum roll please:
1. President, agent, and all around awesome boss Nancy Coffey will be open to e-queries. She will continue to accept hardcopy queries as well. Don't know what she's looking for? Click here.
2. As of November 1st, all queries should be sent to our new email address: Query@NancyCoffeyLiterary.com. BEFORE NOV 1 YOUR QUERIES WILL NOT GO THROUGH TO THIS ACCOUNT.

"There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything." - Lord Byron
Old 11-06-2010, 03:14 AM   #754
MJWare
Kidlit gang, Junior member.

MJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of light
Queried Joanna Volpe this morning. Got a request for a full and 2-page synopsis this afternoon. Now I just need to cut 100 words from my synopses =-).

Wow, fast turnaround.
MJWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #755
Senora Verde
Teacher by day, YA writer by night

Senora Verde has a spectacular auraSenora Verde has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mware01 View Post
Queried Joanna Volpe this morning. Got a request for a full and 2-page synopsis this afternoon. Now I just need to cut 100 words from my synopses =-).

Wow, fast turnaround.
Congrats and good luck!

or follow me on twitter.
Senora Verde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #756
miamyselfandi
here and there again

miamyselfandi is on a distinguished road
If one agent at this agency rejects, can you query the other? I can't find that info. Thanks.
miamyselfandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #757
Vandal
In the Center of things

Vandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamyselfandi View Post
If one agent at this agency rejects, can you query the other? I can't find that info. Thanks.
From the agency blog:

Q: Can we query more than one agent?

A: Please do not query more than one agent within the Nancy Coffey Literary agency. We are a team and share our projects with one another. If we feel that something is better suited for the other, we do pass the project to that agent.

Center Point is available from Writers AMuse Me Publishing

Dizzy Miss Lizzie returns November 22, 2014!

My website
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #758
miamyselfandi
here and there again

miamyselfandi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
From the agency blog:

Q: Can we query more than one agent?

A: Please do not query more than one agent within the Nancy Coffey Literary agency. We are a team and share our projects with one another. If we feel that something is better suited for the other, we do pass the project to that agent.
Thanks. I missed that.
miamyselfandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #759
Krista G.
AW Addict

Krista G. is well-respected
Queried Ms. Stampfel-Volpe 11/4
Gave up 11/6
Full request (plus the two-page synopsis mware01 mentioned) received 11/11!

YA science fiction

www.kristavandolzer.com
Krista G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #760
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yay, Krista!
hillaryjacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #761
KelleyVitollo

KelleyVitollo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista G. View Post
Queried Ms. Stampfel-Volpe 11/4
Gave up 11/6
Full request (plus the two-page synopsis mware01 mentioned) received 11/11!

YA science fiction
Congrats!
KelleyVitollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #762
Krista G.
AW Addict

Krista G. is well-respected
Thanks, hillaryjacques and KelleyVitollo! I'll come back with an update when I receive a response either way.

www.kristavandolzer.com
Krista G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:50 AM   #763
MJWare
Kidlit gang, Junior member.

MJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of light
I just got a form R. I was hoping for some feedback, since it was a full. My guess is she just didn't get very far before deciding she would pass on it.

Still, prompt and polite; you can't ask for more than that.
MJWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #764
Esmeralda
Snowman...on the job

Esmeralda is a splendid one to beholdEsmeralda is a splendid one to beholdEsmeralda is a splendid one to behold
Joanna Volpe

This is only my second post.
I've been reading this thread because I have a full with Joanna Volpe.
I researched carefully and determined she was the agent for me.
I sent the snail mail query on October 22 offering an exclusive.
Got an email on Oct 25 asking for the full (email and hard copy).
Sent both and now I wait.

New at this. Did not specify a time limit, but am willing to wait on her.

I chose her because of her willingness to put herself out there with blogs, interviews and lots of info regarding what she likes. She seems like a "go-getter" and I hope she loves my speculative thriller as much as I do.

I know, I know..."query widely and often" is the rule, but some rules are made to be broken.

We'll see.

By the way Jody, I read your book. Absolutely brilliant! Can't wait to read the next one. Let me know if you need a beta reader.
Esmeralda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #765
NDZone
figuring it all out

NDZone is on a distinguished road
Esmeralda, why would you offer an exclusive, and an open-ended one at that?

I've never seen anything suggesting exclusives benefit anyone other than the agent. A Trident agent once asked me for 30 days and it dragged on for months. With the holidays coming up you risk putting yourself into query limbo until January. You have to abide by it this time, and hopefully it will work out, but if not consider searching Kristin Nelson and Janet Reid's blogs for opinions re exclusives. Did Jo offer a quicker read in exchange?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #766
Esmeralda
Snowman...on the job

Esmeralda is a splendid one to beholdEsmeralda is a splendid one to beholdEsmeralda is a splendid one to behold
Hi NDZone.
After much research, I decided she was the agent I really thought would be best for my manuscript. I told her as much and offered the exclusive in my query. She asked for the entire manuscript immediately.
I'm patient and plan to wait at least 6 weeks for her to respond.
I went the query route several years ago before putting the manuscript in the trunk and sitting on it while I worked on something else.
Gave me time to think before I took it out and reworked parts.
It's harder to wait on one than on many, but I'm hoping she loves it.
We'll see. Hope it works out this time.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #767
NDZone
figuring it all out

::fingers crossed for you::
Old 11-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #768
Wildflower90

Wildflower90 is on a distinguished road
I got a request for a full and a 2page synopsis from Joanna Volpe on Sunday and I am so nervous and excited after reading this thread!!! This is my first request and she sounded so lovely by email, I just hope that she likes me! Good luck to all those others who are awaiting the dreaded/awaited email!
Wildflower90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:55 AM   #769
Wildflower90

Okay so after re-reading this thread from the beginning AGAIN am more nervous than ever about my full!!! I read that success story of Blind Writer and since my MS has been with Joanna a week tomorrow (sent on 21/11) I'm about ready to bang my head against the wall from going crazy with anticipation!!! Really need to get away from my computer obviously! Has anyone else heard back on their submissions??
Old 11-28-2010, 04:31 AM   #770
Senora Verde
Teacher by day, YA writer by night

Senora Verde has a spectacular auraSenora Verde has a spectacular aura
Congrats and good luck Wildflower.
And try to be patient

or follow me on twitter.
Senora Verde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #771
NDZone
figuring it all out

Honey, agents are people, too. Family, friends, clients. And it's Thanksgiving week. Do yourself a favor and research five more agents to query. Or start a new project, whether a manuscript or a flower garden. If interested she'll probably call rather than email anyway. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #772
Wildflower90

Ah, yes, I forgot about that! (I live in the Uk) I think I just had nothing to do yesterday except work myself up into a fervour :0) I already have queried more agents before getting the request so I'm waiting to hear from them too - hence the meltdown last night ;0) I'll do something today - probably not a flower garden because the garden is covered by snow! But a second manuscript never hurt anyone...
Old 11-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #773
Esmeralda
Snowman...on the job

Hi Wildflower. Today makes four weeks since I sent my full to Joanna. Try and be patient. Four weeks is but a blip timewise in the publishing world.
Start another project, do some research, anything but think about your full with Joanna.
I'm sure she's reading lots of others right now. I hope she's reading mine.
Got my fingers crossed for you. What do you write?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #774
Wildflower90

Thanks for the advice Esmerelda! It was just a crazy time at the weekend because I had nothing to do so was going stir-crazy as well as obsessing over the MS lol. I had a new message in my inbox today and my heart stopped and all I could think was, it's too soon, it must be a rejection but it turned out to be an advertisement for whether I wanted to be a driving instructor...uh....noooo. So clearly I don't want to hear back from her :0) What a contrary person I am.
I hope she's reading yours and loving it! I've got my fingers triple crossed for you! I write romance, at the moment paranormal romance. From what I've read on this thread, Joanna likes her romance so here's hoping! What about you, what do you write?

ASHES -- acquired by Samhain Publishing, coming Spring 2015

IN THE WIND -- in progress

http://walkinginawriterswonderland.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Wildflower90; 11-30-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #775
Esmeralda
Snowman...on the job

Hey Wildflower. Joanna does seem to like romance. I write thrillers, and while she hasn't represented one before, she is looking for one. My has a strong female lead and there is a romantic interest. I'm hoping that now that Thanksgiving week is over, she'll have time to read it. And yours too!
Fingers crossed for both of us!