Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2009, 04:30 AM   #51
Giant Baby
Oh, the humanity.

Giant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Worth View Post
Haha! So maybe I was wrong.
Naw. Query confusion does not equal reading comprehension. Like MS Word does not equal Excel.

There's reading, and there's keeping stuff straight. They're both important, but the latter will come in time. I've got my fingers crossed for the former on account of my partial.

If she rejects someone else accidentally, I'll just status check her in a few months, I suppose, and thank the poor recipient of my reject!

Who the hell is Margaret? -Twizzle

Giant Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:17 AM   #52
karo.ambrose
._.

karo.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Giant Baby, when did Joanna request the partial, if I might ask?
karo.ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #53
Tuuli
Research Addict

Tuuli is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Ink.Rain View Post
FYI: Joanna Stampfel rejected my query the same day I sent it. A very nice rejection, I might add. Discouraging, but she's definitely fast and seems very nice, from the way her letter was worded.
Joanna IS really fast. I sent a query this morning and received a request for a full less than two hours later.
Tuuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 AM   #54
karo.ambrose
._.

karo.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaro.ambrose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuuli View Post
Joanna IS really fast. I sent a query this morning and received a request for a full less than two hours later.
She is actively seeking new clients, and since she just joined with Nancy Coffey, she probably hasn't received a deluge of queries yet. Or she is simply stellar. Or both.

Congrats on the full!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #55
Tuuli
Research Addict

Tuuli is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by karo.ambrose View Post
She is actively seeking new clients, and since she just joined with Nancy Coffey, she probably hasn't received a deluge of queries yet. Or she is simply stellar. Or both.

Congrats on the full!
That's the advantage of querying a new agent. Though I queried Kate Schafer Testerman and received a request for a partial 2 days later. Funny how requests come a lot faster than rejections...at least in my case.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 AM   #56
Giant Baby
Oh, the humanity.

Giant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by karo.ambrose View Post
Giant Baby, when did Joanna request the partial, if I might ask?
I queried her 1/9, she requested 75pp 1/11.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:30 AM   #57
Tuuli
Research Addict

Tuuli is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Baby View Post
I queried her 1/9, she requested 75pp 1/11.
Weird that she's requesting different number of pages from everyone.

Giant Baby, did you include a sample with your query? I have the first 2 pages on my blog, which I mentioned in my query. She asked to see more of my work and requested the full. Guess that means she read the excerpt.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:50 AM   #58
Giant Baby
Oh, the humanity.

I pasted the first five pages onto the end of my e-query.

I always include them, whether email or snail, unless the guidelines request something other... or specifically say "no stuff with query."

Old 01-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #59
karo.ambrose
._.

rejected.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #60
Tuuli
Research Addict

Tuuli is well-respected
Karo, sorry to hear the news. Giant Baby received her request for a partial on 1/11. What about you? Were you before or after that?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:59 AM   #61
karo.ambrose
._.

she requested on 1/13 ... I'm sure times might be different for fulls vs partials.

it was a very polite personalized rejection she sent me. but still, a no is a no.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:49 AM   #62
Tuuli
Research Addict

Tuuli is well-respected
Wink

Thanks Karo.ambrose

I figure there must be at least several more partials and fulls before mine. I also have a partial out at another agency and don't expect to hear back for at least another 6 weeks for that one. The ms was rejected by another agent because it was too romantic for the agent's taste, otherwise she really liked it. I'm hoping that Joanna is still in that nothing-is-too-romantic mood since she's a newly wed. There's always hoping....

Good luck with your outstanding ones.

Last edited by Tuuli; 01-27-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:00 AM   #63
sharla
What's up??

sharla is well-respected
Queried Joanna Stampfel last night and received a very nice, personal rejection letter this morning. Very fast. While R's stink, they are easier to shoulder like this than when you get "Dear Author"...

THE REASON IS YOU
BEFORE AND EVER SINCE
JUST ONE DAY

My website. Come on, you know you want to.
Facebook. I'm here, too.
Twitter. All over it.
Goodreads. Aren't you interested? Just a little?
"It's four o'clock in the morning, damn it..." Sir Elton John
sharla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #64
AKB
figuring it all out

AKB is on a distinguished road
I'm a new member and this is my first post so I apologize if it sounds...well...like it came from a newbie.

Based on what I read in this thread I e-queried Joanne and while she sent me a rejection (next day) she gave me really helpful comments on my query and positive feedback on my writing, saying its "strong" and describing specific quotes as "awesome". While of course I'm dissapointed, at least I have something to re-read and give me hope each time another 'r' comes in.
AKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #65
Tuuli
Research Addict

Tuuli is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKB View Post
I'm a new member and this is my first post so I apologize if it sounds...well...like it came from a newbie.

Based on what I read in this thread I e-queried Joanne and while she sent me a rejection (next day) she gave me really helpful comments on my query and positive feedback on my writing, saying its "strong" and describing specific quotes as "awesome". While of course I'm dissapointed, at least I have something to re-read and give me hope each time another 'r' comes in.

AKB,
Congrats on such positive feedback. Most agent don't take the time to comment on ones query such as Joanna did.

Many writers see a rejection as a rejection, no matter what was said. Sad for them. In this industry, publication is rare. We should all rejoice on all the little accomplishments. The only rejections we should truly be disappointed with are the form letters, especially the ones that begin, "Dear Author."

Good luck with future queries.

Last edited by Tuuli; 02-03-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #66
Tuuli
Research Addict

Tuuli is well-respected
No word yet from Johanna, but I'm in no big rush. Jodi Reamer from Writers House requested a partial last week but it's going to take about a month to find out if she wants a full. It was most unexpected.

Why does this whole querying thing have to be so stressful?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #67
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Julie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Joanna read one of my books and suggested a rewrite. I'm not going to do it, as it struck me as something a published writer would never be asked to do (fitting into the narrow mold of a particular genre). She was very nice about it, though.
Julie Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #68
Tuuli
Research Addict

Tuuli is well-respected
Talking

I finally heard back for Joanna. It was a rejection but it was a great rejection. She didn't exactly explained her reason, but she pointed out several big mistakes I made throughout the ms that were so easy to fix. Or at least for me they were easy to fix once I knew what I had done wrong. I went back to re-edit it, and asked Ms Reamer's assistant if I could resend my partial (which I could). Due to Joanna's advice, the result is much better. No one else who had rejected my partial or full had pointed out my errors. So if anything, I highly recommend querying her just for that. She's been known to provide indepth feedback on most partial and full requests she rejects. Of course, she won't be able to do that for much longer once she gains more clients of her own.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #69
ohjammer
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ohjammer is on a distinguished road
ne day turnaround on a rejection, based on a query letter only.
Thank you for querying me. Unfortunately I am going to have to pass at this time.
Please don't take this rejection as a comment on your writing ability, because it isn't intended
to be one. I'm sure another agent will feel differently.

Best of luck to you with the submission process.

Joanna Stampfel-Volpe
Agent
Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation
ohjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #70
Juneluv12
Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants

Juneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got the same one day rejecton turn around. At least she inserted my name instead of just doing the Dear Author thing. She sounds like a nice agent. Good luck to the rest of you with partials out.

JtBH: YA Contemp: Agented

"Without the bitter, baby, the sweet just ain't as sweet."--Vanilla Sky
Juneluv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:10 AM   #71
Dara
figuring it all out

Dara is on a distinguished road
I got a partial request the day after e-querying Joanna. Wish me luck. Sounds like I may need it.

Brought to Life--Coming in March '09 from Lyrical Press.
Dara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:27 AM   #72
Tuuli
Research Addict

Tuuli is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara View Post
I got a partial request the day after e-querying Joanna. Wish me luck. Sounds like I may need it.

Good luck, Dara! Remember, even if she rejects it, you will benefit from her feedback, so it'll be even better for the next agent
Old 02-26-2009, 03:13 AM   #73
Wonderlander
Bird In Flight

Wonderlander is on a distinguished road
This was what I got too. Such a shame, I commiserate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohjammer View Post
ne day turnaround on a rejection, based on a query letter only.
Thank you for querying me. Unfortunately I am going to have to pass at this time.
Please don't take this rejection as a comment on your writing ability, because it isn't intended
to be one. I'm sure another agent will feel differently.

Best of luck to you with the submission process.

Joanna Stampfel-Volpe
Agent
Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation
Wonderlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:09 AM   #74
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
I'm still waiting to hear back on a full sent to Nancy at end of October! I'd love to query Joanna on my YA Fantasy, but I can't until I hear on the first sub.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #75
anthonyjcardieri
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

anthonyjcardieri is on a distinguished road
Nancy Coffey

When I wrote my first novel 11 years ago, Nancy had requested to see it. After reading it, she turned me down. This year I tried her again with a different manuscript. Again she requested to see it and then turned me down again. All the other agents I queried turned me down without even wanting to see it. So it made me appreciate Nancy all the more for at least giving me the shot at having it read. Anyhow, I ultimately got the manuscript into St Martins Press where the lead editor Ruth Cavin really loved it and signed me to a contract. The book comes out in December 2009. I figured it would be easier to pick up an agent now that I have a big publisher so I tried Nancy again. I wanted her as my agent all along. I sent her a letter and Joanna Stampfel called me up the other day and asked if they could have the manuscript again so they could re-read it. I will hear from them shortly, they said. Hopefully this time around, they will represent me. Her credentials are great. ANT
anthonyjcardieri is offline   Reply With Quote