Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #676
jennifer williams
practical experience, FTW

jennifer williams is on a distinguished road
I just sent mines in too. I wonder how swamped her email's going to be in the next hour? I'm saying about 50 or so, any guesses?
jennifer williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #677
KAP
Hangin' with the gargies

KAP is a glorious beacon of lightKAP is a glorious beacon of light
I sent off a query. Great opportunity. I bet she'll get hundreds.

kap
Dark Knowledge - When good and evil intertwine, taking one means accepting the other.
Above Haldis Notch - Physical death is tragic, but the death of a spirit is a life forever lost.
Daeva - Under contract with Aqueous Books for November 2015 release.
KAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #678
AuburnAssassin
Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon

AuburnAssassin is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAuburnAssassin is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAuburnAssassin is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAuburnAssassin is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAuburnAssassin is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAuburnAssassin is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAuburnAssassin is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I'm thinking hundreds too. I don't envy her her weekend.

I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to get this kind of feedback from an agent. QLH is fabulous too but an agent is the gold standard...even if she is only one opinion.

By Claire Gillian (Romance):
The P.U.R.E.

Purely Relative

By Lila Shaw (Erotic Romance & Erotica):

All's Fair in Love and War

Vixen and the Pea
Soul of the Succubus
Prometheus Unstitched
Succubus Games
Succubus Steam

Wild West Succubus

COMING LATE 2014: Louder Than Words by Iris St. Clair
(YA)

Claire's Blog | Lila's Blog | Iris's Blog
AuburnAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #679
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My query had been rejected already but they allowed requeries. I sent in my revamped query with 10 minutes left on the clock.

This will be a great opportunity to see what works and what didn't, since Caren's pitch contest was based on 100 words. She liked the concept but didn't know how it would work. A full query might make it clearer.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #680
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
She's rejected the query I sent for the contest before, but it's my least successful (relatively) of the last three books I've queried and I'd love to have an agent give me their reason why. That said, I'm wondering if I should have sent in one of my older queries because those got sooo little response and because she hasn't seen them.

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance - 65K-word YA contemp fantasy
Want to beta? Rep or PM me.
Query in progress here.

Taylor-Made, version 4: 10/16 items left
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #681
Phantom Writer
Dancing between good and evil...

Phantom Writer is well-respected
Just an update for all watching the contest timeline- query sent at 12:07 yesterday (for the query contest) response received this morning 10:30. Very quick, short, polite R. Got some feedback and while it was a small amount- I find it extremely helpful! Good luck to all else that queried yesterday!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #682
AuburnAssassin

AuburnAssassin is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAuburnAssassin is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAuburnAssassin is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAuburnAssassin is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAuburnAssassin is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAuburnAssassin is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAuburnAssassin is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Wow, thanks for the post, Phantom Writer. I queried at the exact same time but I've heard nothing thus far. I was wondering how soon she would start sending out the feedback.

The P.U.R.E.

Purely Relative

Vixen and the Pea
Soul of the Succubus
Prometheus Unstitched
Succubus Games
Succubus Steam

Wild West Succubus

(YA)

Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 AM   #683
Sage
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, I was wondering if anyone had heard back yet.

I have a feeling most queries were sent between 12:05 and 12:10, based on posts here and on other sites.

Query in progress here.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:07 AM   #684
Phantom Writer
Dancing between good and evil...

Phantom Writer is well-respected
I agree Sage, I think most people sent in around the same time. I've only seen a few that said they were making mods before they sent it off. Fingers crossed for both of you and everyone else that is still waiting! I assumed she wouldn't start answering until Monday. I guess there's no rest for the wicked on Sundays. (R's being the "wicked" not Ms. JSV)!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #685
Shayk1951
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Shayk1951 is on a distinguished road
Hi, everyone,

I'm new. I queried Nancy Coffey almost three weeks ago. I haven't heard anything yet. It will probably be a couple more weeks before I do. I've been frantically rewriting my novel, trying to do some last minute editing.

Good Luck, everyone.
Sharolyn AKA Shay
Shayk1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #686
thmafi
wobbly...

thmafi has a spectacular aurathmafi has a spectacular aura
hi shay! welcome to AW! joanna is usually really good about responding to queries in a timely manner, but i suspect she'll be a bit backed up with these contest entries. do you have others out as well?
thmafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #687
Sage
AW Moderator

The contest entries shouldn't back her up too much. She promises to be done tomorrow.

I don't know how, since I've only heard of one person getting a response out of a whole bunch of people.

Query in progress here.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #688
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Joanna's a busy girl! She's now judging the Guide to Literary Agents' new Dear Lucky Agent Contest for Urban Fantasy and Paranormal romace (adult & teens). Here's more info if you're interested: http://tinyurl.com/yj78dvu

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Last edited by Erin; 03-01-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #689
sciri
Maxine Fan

sciri is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Joanna's a busy girl! She's now judging the Guide to Literary Agents' new Dear Lucky Agent Contest for Urban Fantasy and Paranormal romace (adult & teens). Here's more info if you're interested: http://tinyurl.com/yj78dvu
That's neat, but basically to be eligible one HAS to have a blog, right? Or is there a way out for the few of us who still don't have one?
sciri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #690
Sage
AW Moderator

I received my contest response from JSV this morning at 8:30. It was really good feedback, and some of it had me going, "Oh, I never thought of that," and some if had me disagreeing with the general assessment (although not with the fact that it was why she rejected, obviously)

Query in progress here.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #691
Saltier
Small towns fuel escapism

Saltier should run for PresidentSaltier should run for PresidentSaltier should run for PresidentSaltier should run for PresidentSaltier should run for PresidentSaltier should run for President
Looks like they're starting to come in I don't have mine yet, but mine was submitted 15 min. into the contest, not the first few minutes.

I joined the tweeting throng.
Saltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #692
AuburnAssassin

7 minutes in and still waiting...

hope my email made it.

The P.U.R.E.

Purely Relative

Vixen and the Pea
Soul of the Succubus
Prometheus Unstitched
Succubus Games
Succubus Steam

Wild West Succubus

(YA)

Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #693
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm also still waiting. Sent at 12:15.

Glad I'm not the only one still gnawing on their nails waiting.
amergina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 PM   #694
lnmorton
Perpetual Lurker

lnmorton is on a distinguished road
Just got a very nice response to my entry sent around 12:30. She'd already rejected it, so no joy there, but it was great to get some feedback on the query itself.
lnmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #695
jennifer williams

This is a little weird. I just got a response from Joanna asking for me to send in 20 pages for her to see. Even though I'm jumping up and down, I can't help but wonder cause I queried her on Friday before I knew about the contest, got rejected, sent the same query in for the contest on Saturday hoping to get pointers, and now am being requested for pages.

I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering if I should go buy the lottery
Old 03-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #696
AuburnAssassin

Wow, that's great news Jennifer! Maybe it's just a matter of frame of mind sometimes--you missed your window on Friday, hit it on Saturday. Congratulations.

The P.U.R.E.

Purely Relative

Vixen and the Pea
Soul of the Succubus
Prometheus Unstitched
Succubus Games
Succubus Steam

Wild West Succubus

(YA)

Old 03-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #697
cuteshoes

cuteshoes is a shiny, shiny jewelcuteshoes is a shiny, shiny jewel
Congrats, Jennifer. That's great!

I got a request for 50 pages and some helpful feedback (which I'd already fixed. I only had a half hour to write a query for the contest since I found out about it late. I quickly drafted one I knew needed some extra love. After I sent it off, I revised it and made it pretty, which ultimately fixed the issue that Joanna had with it. Not a problem since the query did its job anyway!). She LOVED the concept! Yay!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #698
jennifer williams

Congrats to you too cuteshoes!

Wow, a partial request for a query written in a half an hour...do you mind if I bow down to you now? lol
Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #699
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Got my response. A very nice R because she already has something similar on her list.

At least I know the query is decent, though I think I may need to retool to bring out how my novel isn't like everything else out there.
amergina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #700
cuteshoes

cuteshoes is a shiny, shiny jewelcuteshoes is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer williams View Post
Congrats to you too cuteshoes!

Wow, a partial request for a query written in a half an hour...do you mind if I bow down to you now? lol
Query writing is one of my strong suits. I already had a hooky logline for this book so I just needed to expand it a bit.