Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Shined or Shone?

I got a crit back from a critter and he had replaced "shone" with "shined", as in "I shined my flashlight into the darkness" instead of "I shone my torch into the..."

Actually, he didn't replace torch, as I have decided to keep that word.

I assume shined is what you'd use in America, but it just sounds wrong to me. My narrator uses English-English so she would use torch and shone, so I decided to leave it that way. The thing is, though, I am submitting it to American agents. Does shone sound as wrong to you as shined does to me? Wil they fling my ms against the wall? My reasoning is if a US publishe wants to change it al to American usage so be it, but my MC has to write in her own voice as long as she is in my hands.
Do you say the sun shined or the sun shone?

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi
aruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Popeyesays
Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW

Popeyesays is a glorious beacon of lightPopeyesays is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruna
I got a crit back from a critter and he had replaced "shone" with "shined", as in "I shined my flashlight into the darkness" instead of "I shone my torch into the..."

Actually, he didn't replace torch, as I have decided to keep that word.

I assume shined is what you'd use in America, but it just sounds wrong to me. My narrator uses English-English so she would use torch and shone, so I decided to leave it that way. The thing is, though, I am submitting it to American agents. Does shone sound as wrong to you as shined does to me? Wil they fling my ms against the wall? My reasoning is if a US publishe wants to change it al to American usage so be it, but my MC has to write in her own voice as long as she is in my hands.
Do you say the sun shined or the sun shone?
"That night on my patrol I shined the flashlight into the bushes, just as I had shone it everynight before."

I will admit that "shone" as the past perfect is a trifle archaic.

" . . . just as I had shined it everynight before." is much more modern.

Regards,
Scott
Jars of Doom out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
http://www.bluphier.com/
Popeyesays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeyesays
"That night on my patrol I shined the flashlight into the bushes, just as I had shone it everynight before."

I will admit that "shone" as the past perfect is a trifle archaic.

" . . . just as I had shined it everynight before." is much more modern.

Regards,
Scott
I would use shone in both cases. It's not a case of modern or archaic, it's US vs British usage. I'm wondering about putting US usage into my MC's moputh even though it's unrealistic.

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

- Gandhi
Old 07-16-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
Patricia
California Dreaming

Patricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPatricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPatricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPatricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPatricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPatricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPatricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPatricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"Shone." I have to use the word in my current WIP. Shone is correct in my context. And I'm US. "Shined" is as in: He shined his shoes.
"But ultimately eloquence runs on a deeper current. It moves us with what it leaves unsaid, touching off echoes in what we already know from our reading, our religion and our heritage. Eloquence invites us to bring some part of ourselves to the transaction." - William Zinsser, On Writing Well

Last edited by Patricia; 07-16-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
Scribhneoir
Reinventing Myself

Scribhneoir is a glorious beacon of lightScribhneoir is a glorious beacon of lightScribhneoir is a glorious beacon of light
I was taught that if it emits light it's shone and if it's made shiny it's shined. But I've heard it both ways -- "the sun shined" and "the sun shone." I think it's one of those irregular verbs that's on its way to becoming regular. Use what's right for your character.
Scribhneoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

I just googled it and saw there was this discussion just a while ago in this forum, and Medievalist explained that shone is intransitive, and shined is transitive. So perhaps I'm technically wrong, but shined still sounds wrong to me.
I thought it was US usage because I just came across shined in a US published novel.

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

- Gandhi

Last edited by aruna; 07-16-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Shined "sounds" wrong to me as well Aruna, but technically, it should be shined.

Now, since the fact that it sounds wrong would haunt me, even if it is grammatically correct, I'd revise to avoid it altogether

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
Patricia
California Dreaming

Patricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPatricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPatricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPatricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPatricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPatricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPatricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPatricia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I will not dispute the board expert. But I will use shone...

Here's a web reference http://www.thefreedictionary.com/shined
"But ultimately eloquence runs on a deeper current. It moves us with what it leaves unsaid, touching off echoes in what we already know from our reading, our religion and our heritage. Eloquence invites us to bring some part of ourselves to the transaction." - William Zinsser, On Writing Well

Last edited by Patricia; 07-16-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
reph
Fig of authority

reph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Webster's Second (big, authoritative American dictionary) allows only "shone" in your flashlight/torch sentence. It labels "shined" as archaic. However, it comments that "shined" is common for two other senses of "shine" used transitively. This dictionary was published in 1934 and might be too far out of date for reliable guidance if "shine" is indeed becoming a regular verb. The American Heritage Dict. is newer (I have the 1969 edition) but doesn't give enough detail about the two past-tense forms to help.
reph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:29 PM   #10
TsukiRyoko
Forced into cell phone life

TsukiRyoko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTsukiRyoko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTsukiRyoko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTsukiRyoko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTsukiRyoko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTsukiRyoko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTsukiRyoko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTsukiRyoko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTsukiRyoko is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think it's along the lines of you shined something, and it shone.
You do the shining, but it does not.

Also, something shiny could have shined, not shone.

God, where's a sixth grade Language Art's teacher when you need one, eh? Hell, even a sixth grade student would It's sad to admit, but the last time I knew this stuff was back then- ever since, my grammar has slowly gone down the toilet.

...Ms. Doughtry, you here?

RIP Anthony Shane Taylor.
You will be loved and missed. I will never forget the tragic morning of Oct. 11, nor the many amazing times we spent together. You were one in a million and a great friend to many. Whatever's on the other side will treat you very well, and I know that someday I'll get the chance to see that shit eating grinning of yours again.
TsukiRyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:45 PM   #11
newmod
practical experience, FTW

newmod is on a distinguished road
For what itīs worth, Iīm with Scribhneoir on this one, I think it should be shone in this instance, but usage of shined seems to be more and more common. Also my Collins dictionary agrees with what Scribhneoir was taught.
newmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:14 PM   #12
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
shone

Shone. Editors are not perfect, and they often get things wrong.
Jamesaritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:51 AM   #13
johnnysannie
Seanachie

johnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputation
Shone. Just because usage of "shined" is common doesn't make it gramatically correct.

Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy - Romance Author

Ms. Murphy's portrayal of a bitter, deeply wounded Marine was gripping and totally believable. I cried with him, felt his shame, felt his sorrow. Bravo, Ms. Murphy!
http://www.amazon.com/Wills-Way-Lee-...dp/B00HPZTU7M/
!
johnnysannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #14
newmod

newmod is on a distinguished road
Yes itīs true that just because something is common it doesnīt make it correct (e.g. thereīs a few bottles of beer in the fridge - anyone who doesnīt say that?).

I was just trying to say that itīs used more commonly than before. As we all know thereīs often a difference between "correct" language and what people actually use. Being aware of these differences is important for writing dialogue (in particular) and clearly some people were uncertain about what the score was with shone/shined. Similar thing with use of lay/lie in a post below.

I think these posts are very useful for making people think about the words they use (misuse) and how other people use (misuse?) language.

I cringe every time I think of David Beckham saying in an interview "We was ..." and my brother with weary/wary. Although that could be a pronunciation issue, Iīve never pressed him on the point!!!

Take care all
newmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:48 PM   #15
Marlys

Marlys should run for PresidentMarlys should run for PresidentMarlys should run for PresidentMarlys should run for PresidentMarlys should run for PresidentMarlys should run for President
I think some of it is due to American regional variation. Check out the usage note here on the difference between dived (Southern) and dove (Northern). From what I can tell, other verbs follow this divide--I'm from the North, and I know I'm more likely to use past tense forms such as shone and lit while other people I know say shined and lighted.

For those keeping track, Webster's Seventh New Collegiate gives both shone and shined.

Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #16
Tish Davidson

Tish Davidson is a splendid one to beholdTish Davidson is a splendid one to beholdTish Davidson is a splendid one to behold
My current Webster's says either one with the indication that shone is more prevalent in Canadian and British use. As a practical matter, I say read it aloud using both choices and pick the one that sounds best to you and that best suits the place your character would have learned his or her English. Just be sure you are consistent in your usage.
Tish Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:26 PM   #17
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

Thanks to everyone who SHONE light on this matter.

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

- Gandhi
Old 07-18-2006, 07:00 AM   #18
Carmy
Banned

Carmy is a shiny, shiny jewelCarmy is a shiny, shiny jewel
I must admit 'shined' makes me shudder when it's used instead of 'shone'. Makes me think the writer is a juvenile still learning grammar. (Sorry if I upset anyone with that.)

If he 'shined' his shoes, it's fine, but he shone his flashlight.
Carmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:05 PM   #19
laurel29
has a lopsided smile.

laurel29 is a shiny, shiny jewellaurel29 is a shiny, shiny jewel
These discussions are great. I am trying to slog my was through some grammar books but I can only read so much before my eyes start to cross. The worst part is when I get to something in a book that I'm unsure of I can't ask it a question. I love this place. I learn more reading a few posts in this forum than spending a few hours sifting through a grammar book. In this case I admit to be a juvenile writer just learning grammar (so don't take me too seriously ) but I think shone sounds better. I thought it was interesting reading about the dived/dove thing as well. I would use dove instead of dived. (maybe that explains my preference for shone instead of shined?) I also never knew that the past tense of wear was once werede or that the past tense of spit was once spitede. I smile when I think of someone saying that. How would you pronounce either of them? Is the last e silent? I have a quick question for you all. When I think of the sentence - Thanks to everyone who SHONE light on this matter. - I would say SHED light, is that incorrect? Thank you again (all of you) for this fabulous section on grammar.
laurel29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:30 PM   #20
reph
Fig of authority

reph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A shade (!) of meaning

"Everyone who shed light" is correct. "Everyone who shone light" makes the illumination more deliberate.
reph is offline   Reply With Quote