Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > New Members
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #1426
jayshell00
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

jayshell00 is on a distinguished road
I found this site on http://michaelhyatt.com/2007/11/lite...n-authors.html. I was searching for a listing of agents.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #1427
chastiser

chastiser is on a distinguished road
I heard about this site from NaNoWriMo.

Though at the time I was failing to complete the task. Now I've decided to focus more on writing so I thought I best join
chastiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #1428
LiMeiLing

LiMeiLing is on a distinguished road
I found these forums while doing background checks on agents. You guys are awesome! I've found the answers to so many questions and it's just so encouraging to know I'm not alone. Consciously I always knew, but actually seeing so many people in the same boat helps so much! Thanks so much to the wonderful people who created and run this site!
LiMeiLing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #1429
VictoriaJBarnes
Death

VictoriaJBarnes is on a distinguished road
I saw someone else talking about it on Holly Lisle's site so I googled it and then began to read

"I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every last pimple. Every last character flaw. I was naked for a day. You will be naked for eternity." Chaucer. A Knights Tale.
VictoriaJBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #1430
fractal
Yes, I'll be right there....

fractal is on a distinguished road
I Googled "tvwritersvault ripoff" in aid of getting some perspective on a service for which I *nearly* enrolled.
fractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #1431
Vilisse
Hitting my head in procrastination

Vilisse is on a distinguished road
I Googled 'writers forum' (or something like that)

ChristTeen Writers <- a forum in progress...

"It's the cereal killer! Hide your milk and Cheerios!"
Vilisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #1432
anotherday12
I'm usually screaming.

anotherday12 is on a distinguished road
I was on Yahoo answers and someone directed me here. Best piece of advice I was given in a LONG time .
Old 01-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #1433
Rampantic

Rampantic is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone - name's James and it's my first post so I'll try to be brief and not bore everyone right off hehe.
I found this site yesterday whilst trying to find out about a publisher who's just offered me a contract (of sorts.) The publisher is Pegasus and the contract has VANITY written all over it.
One writer on the forum has already confirmed what I thought the second I saw Pegasus's letter.
I'll be writing a brief no thank you to them, and a note of gratitude to the writer on here - once I find out how to properly navigate the site of course...
Rampantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #1434
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi Rampantic, welcome to the watercooler. Why not start a thread here in the Newbie section so we can all welcome you in true AW style

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts
jvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #1435
zaffu

zaffu is on a distinguished road
I found the site through Google, though I can't for the life of me remember which search terms I used.
zaffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:16 AM   #1436
bikerwriter

bikerwriter is on a distinguished road
I found this site via Aprilynne Pike's blog and can already tell it'll be a great community!
bikerwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:11 AM   #1437
Exile87
New kid, be gentle!

Exile87 has a spectacular aura
I found this site while researching various Literary Agents. Lots of my google results kept leading me to threads here about agents that I should think twice about!
Exile87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #1438
Snowstorm
Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I use Dogpile (I hate Google) and was trying to research query letters. This site called Absolute Write kept on popping up on the first page, often the first site. Jeez.

Okay, fine. What is this place?

Oh, yeah ...

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #1439
Ardelie

Writer's Digest. Went to other writing forums but liked this one best.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #1440
Forsaken
...Writing...

Forsaken is a splendid one to beholdForsaken is a splendid one to beholdForsaken is a splendid one to behold
I was searching on google when I stumbled upon this site. Since writing has pretty much taken over my life, I thought this might be the perfect place for me.
Forsaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #1441
lesleykj
AW Obsessed

lesleykj is on a distinguished road
A friend on Goodreads recommended the site, she said it was a good place for tips and advice. Wow was she right.
lesleykj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #1442
Jake.C
Assume the best intentions.

Jake.C is on a distinguished road
Someone mentioned it on another site, thought I'd check it out.

I already forgot which site that was :/
Old 02-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #1443
MarthaT
Banned

MarthaT is on a distinguished road
Found it via google
MarthaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #1444
theDF_underground

theDF_underground is on a distinguished road
I found my way here ages ago via word of mouth from pals on various other writing-related forums... I can't really call myself a newb to AW, though I've been on hiatus for a few years and now feel like I'm starting all over again here. Oh, wait, I am starting all over again here... new gig, new handle, new AW account (because I forgot my old login). So, howdy, folks! Nice t'meetcha.
serenityjbanks.wordpress.com
theDF_underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #1445
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got here from TV Tropes, of all places. they mentioned you on their "archive binge" page, and, curious, I did a quick search and voila!

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama

This is my pen name on Facebook. And this is my pen name on Twitter.

Blog Post for 10/27/14: Fortuna Cat Like Tread Part Five
jallenecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #1446
incognitopress
practical experience, FTW

incognitopress is well-respected
Heard about it from a friend who took a publishing workshop with a former editor at Penguin.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #1447
RedRajah

RedRajah is a shiny, shiny jewelRedRajah is a shiny, shiny jewel
Someone mentioned it on one of the LJ communities I frequent recently and I was intrigued.
RedRajah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #1448
hannah_92

hannah_92 is on a distinguished road
Stumbled upon it ages ago but didn't think anything of it. Now I'm starting to get more into writing seriously I thought I'd come on over.
hannah_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:26 AM   #1449
Kweei
Expert Procrastinator

Kweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputation
I don't know how I found this site...

I think I might have stumbled on it from someone's link or by a web search. A few years ago when I was first deciding to research writing, I think I bumped into the bewares part of this site as well as other helpful sites like P&E.

I only really started becoming a little more active here recently.

Song of the Swallow

Me: Livejournal Twitter Blog Facebook Google+

Some people get plot bunnies. I get zombie plot goats that are unkillable. Tru Fax.
Kweei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #1450
Story-maker
done rewriting!

Story-maker is on a distinguished road
Well after querying the heck out of every YA agent that took emails, I got desperate one day and looked for some publishers who would take email queries (yes I was being lazy). A site with "reputable publishers" listed three that I queried. One of those responded and asked for my manuscript. After searching the site of teh publisher in question, I sent it. I never heard from him again. It has been four months. Immediately after sending my work to the person, I felt nervous. I did an internet search and stumbled across an AW thread about this person/publisher. After reading about the person I decided I would not sign a contract with him if he offered one. I continued to try my futile querying campaign with agents for several more months. I then gave up for a few months. When I started researching the publishing process again I came across this same site. I somehow knew, this time around, that this place was going to help me. I thank everyone involved in the maintenance of AW.
Story-maker is offline   Reply With Quote