Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Blogging and Social Networking
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
underthecity
Finestkind

underthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Discussing your WIP on your blog

I'm just curious.

What is the opinion of discussing your WIP on your blog? I've heard you could generate early interest in your forthcoming book this way, but I feel kind of leery about it.

Thoughts?

allen

Blog
Facebook
Four books at the Absolute Write Library

Currently revising: MOUNTAIN MAGIC
Currently trying to write: SNOWED IN
underthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:55 PM   #2
JulieB
I grow my own catnip

JulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admiration
Most of my income derives from writing copy. Not only is it boring to talk about, but sometimes I'm under a non-disclosure agreement. I find it easier to simply not talk about that aspect of my job other than to mention that I spent x hours writing copy.

I also write short stories and audio dramas, and I'll talk about those in vague terms. Once I get a publication or performance date, then you can't shut me up!
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:01 AM   #3
KAM
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

KAM is on a distinguished road
I write about my WIP all the time on my blog. I don't get into specifics, but I do talk about my progress and various challenges I'm facing. Too be honest, I haven't thought too much about whether it's a good idea or not. I just blog what I'm thinking about, and I think about my WIP a lot!
KAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:53 AM   #4
Cath
Rawr
AW Moderator

Cath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The biggest problem I have with discussing the WIP is that it's like talking about it to someone else - somehow it relieves the pressure that builds up to get the darned thing out of my system, so I spend more time talking about it than writing it.

"Many and various, strange and multitudinous are the friends that befriend me in this world, yet I never found one false or that did not surpass me in some virtue."
Wilfred Owen in a letter home.
Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:28 AM   #5
jchines
Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage

jchines is a glorious beacon of lightjchines is a glorious beacon of lightjchines is a glorious beacon of light
I'll talk about it and post word counts in mine. The word count is a mind-game for me, really. It forces me to publically admit it on days when I didn't write, and it gives me extra motivation to get at least 1000 words in, just so I can bump up the word meter.

I also post occasional excerpts. Most of those are friends-locked, but a few are public. They're only a few lines, but they're the ones I like, that give people a sense of the book and hopefully make 'em laugh.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:44 AM   #6
NightWynde
practical experience, FTW

NightWynde is on a distinguished road
I don't write about the WIP per say, but more about stuff I think about while writing that won't be in the current project but I need to contemplate anyway. For example (keep in mind I write horror), I was having trouble figuring out a killer's style of murder and I started listing all the ways someone could be killed in order to come up with something. This ended up in my blog as did the steps the killer would have to go through in order to, theoretically, not get caught. Even though all of this happens "off-stage" in my WIP, it ended up in my blog.

NightWynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
Storyteller5
Say no to this face? Not sure I can

Storyteller5 is a glorious beacon of lightStoryteller5 is a glorious beacon of lightStoryteller5 is a glorious beacon of light
My blog is a limited access friends-only blog right now if that matters. I do discuss my WIP there, but I don't get into specifics. I write more about how I'm feeling or how the process is going. (Not long ago, I wrote a big entry about how my one character threw a wrench and the whole damn toolbox into the story and caused me a bit of stress.) I can't put my WIP out there in any concrete form because it is a WIP and I can't share yet. I've become picky about not posting writing online that I may want to submit later.
Storyteller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
Kristen King
practical experience, FTW

Kristen King has a spectacular auraKristen King has a spectacular aura
My friend Devon Ellington does this in her blog all the time. Perhaps a good model for you?

Kristen

Award-Winning Inkthinker Blog Moves to New Home - Visit the new digs and read all about the ins and outs of the full-time freelance life.

Lively Women - The latest in women's health and wellness with a real-life perspective.

meow/bark/blog -
Two unbalanced cats, a stubborn pug, and a bullmastiff that weighs more than I do? What were we thinking?
Kristen King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:33 AM   #9
bsolah
AW's Resident Commie

bsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I do it, though try to avoid specifics. I think talking about it does help, but I try to avoid talking about it more than I spend time writing it.

Homepage | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Sanity Juxtaposed
bsolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:58 AM   #10
writeperch
just write

writeperch is on a distinguished road
Has anyone written their novel or short fiction on the blog (i.e., their blog is their fiction)? I know there's an actual geek word for that, but I forget what it is.

SF-Colorado (News and stuff about Colorado speculative fiction writers)
Rough Suspect T-Shirt Shoppe
Old 07-17-2006, 01:10 PM   #11
rbflynn
figuring it all out

rbflynn is on a distinguished road
Yes, it's been done a few times. Only one I can remember off the top of my head is Scalzi. He talks about both the process and the reasons he did it on his site.
rbflynn is offline   Reply With Quote