Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #226
M.R.J. Le Blanc
aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan

M.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputation
I didn't say they didn't have a greater understanding. My point was that doesn't make them smarter or less likely to hook up with a scammer or a vanity press. Saying 'oh well they're a celebrity - they wouldn't go with something if it wasn't reputable' is silly because it has happened. That is the point that's trying to be made. No one is immune to it. And to bring this back to WS, since we've veered so far off:

Quote:
However, am I to understand that it is the group's concensus that any publisher that does not have market distribution is a scam?
The answer would be no. It's a red flag that the publisher probably isn't worth your time especially if you're wanting to see reasonable commercial success - and getting onto bookstore shelves is a crucial component of that. Looking further into the company determines whether it's an outright scam or an inexperienced venture. WS seems to fall into that second category. It's owner has no relevant experience, and all the good intentions in the world isn't going to make his company work. He's got an uphill climb. Publishing is not an entry-level job, and for good reason. Startups by the inexperienced have a habit of being risks not worth taking, and they don't always have to be outright scams to burn you.
M.R.J. Le Blanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #227
JulieB
I grow my own catnip

JulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admiration
I know actors who would rather let their agents and managers handle that sort of thing. They'd rather be working. We had a case where I lived of a former pro athlete who allowed his manager to invest his money and got taken to the cleaners. He had no clue until he was broke.

Hey, just recently Tim Berners-Lee (who was largely responsible for the invention of the World Wide Web) admitted that he got scammed online. So no, celebrity doesn't automatically make one immune.

And no, I don't think Wandering Sage is a scam. I do think that it's important for any writer to do their research before they submit to any publisher, because not every press will be a good fit for their work or their goals. That's what BB&C is for.
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #228
priceless1
Banned

priceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Author Shane Moore View Post
Well, since I do not work for Blu Sky ...I was told WS has contacted several companies. Blu Sky is the only one I recall since it was mentioned in this thread.
Well, you're the one who brought it to AW's attention that they had meetings with Blu Sky, which appears to be untrue. My question is where you got that information.

As for their website, or lack thereof, this is rather odd. If you're in business, the idea is to put up a current site ASAP so buyers can see your lineup. This lack of a site suggests WS is concentrating more on their bookstore than their publishing arm. Not a good thing for their authors, I would think.

Quote:
However, am I to understand that it is the group's concensus that any publisher that does not have market distribution is a scam?
I don't believe anyone here is suggesting that no distribution = scam. What we are saying is that without distribution, books have a near impossible job of reaching a wide audience - store shelves.
priceless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #229
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Author Shane Moore View Post
Um, no. Not only is it not the consensus, I don't believe anyone has said so. If you disagree, perhaps you could provide some quotes to support your conclusion?
Quote:
Didn't Archebook go under?
No, Archebooks is still in business. It's just that it has minimal distribution and does little in the way of marketing, so its authors' books don't typically make it into stores.

Quote:
You just made my point. They had more knowledge than the lay person. The number of investors that get swindled is significantly lower than an uneducated person.
Two words: Bernie Madoff.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #230
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB View Post
I know actors who would rather let their agents and managers handle that sort of thing. They'd rather be working. We had a case where I lived of a former pro athlete who allowed his manager to invest his money and got taken to the cleaners. He had no clue until he was broke.
For a publishing-related example of experienced folks making decisions that make you go "WTF?": Agency D4EO placing Bob Bly's hot dog book with PublishAmerica.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #231
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Do we know that D4EO did that, or did Bob Bly do it on his own?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #232
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Heh. I didn't say "sell" for that reason and more, but it's a fair question. The response I received from Mr. Diforio at the time was vague at best, and he does not include it on his deals page. Could be he got involved after the initial submission, or he could be trying to minimize the connection. Only the Shadow knows.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Old 04-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #233
JulieB
I grow my own catnip

JulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admiration
Gah. I'd forgotten about that one.
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #234
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Or it could be like what happened with the Hedda Nussbaum book: her agent tried to place it, didn't get offers, and Nussbaum went to PA on her own.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #235
Author Shane Moore
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Author Shane Moore is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by priceless1 View Post
Well, you're the one who brought it to AW's attention that they had meetings with Blu Sky, which appears to be untrue. My question is where you got that information.

I don't believe anyone here is suggesting that no distribution = scam. What we are saying is that without distribution, books have a near impossible job of reaching a wide audience - store shelves.
Two things-

I never said celebrities were immune. Ever. I merely pointed out that those attached to the entertainment industry have many more checks and balances (and experiences) than the lay person. I recall even mentioning that it was NOT a smoking gun.

I was told that they had contacted several distribution companies. I am not convinced that it is untrue just because who you spoke with does not recall them. Also, they spoke with Atlas? Ever here of them? Am I getting smoke blown up my ass, or is that a real company?

Until our spat, I knew nothing of wholesale distribution vs market distribution. (Thanks for that.)

Unrelated; What do you guys know of Leucrota Press?

~Shane
Author Shane Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:42 AM   #236
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=76370

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #237
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
Or it could be like what happened with the Hedda Nussbaum book: her agent tried to place it, didn't get offers, and Nussbaum went to PA on her own.

- Victoria
I'm still holding out for Mr. Bly being a man on the inside, soon to publish a tell-all.

The crux of it, of course, is that a Famous Person doing something doesn't make it a smart thing to do.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:08 AM   #238
Author Shane Moore

Author Shane Moore is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
Ha! I did that! LOL

It seems they are just like Wandering Sage. All gumption and little direction. I assume the ones that are not able to figure it out go under.

*Sigh*

Oh well. That's me too.

~Shane
Author Shane Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #239
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Huh. Website's still up, tho' unchanged since April. No mention of any closure on their blog/Twitter, etc.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #240
wsd

wsd is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for the constructive criticism. I definitely can see the errors in our approach to speak from our hearts. It seems people find that sort of thing scary and makes them nervous.
In truth I donít blame anyone for their hesitations about giving some stranger their hard work and then see it all come crashing down around them. It happened to me as an author, which is why I started this company.
I bought out my partner and am now pushing forwards.
We are a traditional publisher, short run and POD. We begin POD to determine a sales potential for each author before going to a short run status. This help keep us in business by not having to spend thousands on warehousing books we cannot sell.
Oh never mind, contact me if you really want information or donít either way I do wish you all the best of luck.
wsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #241
MartyKay
Sockpuppet Hunter

MartyKay has a spectacular auraMartyKay has a spectacular aura
So, wsd is the mysterious Dave??
MartyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #242
M.R.J. Le Blanc
aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan

M.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputation
The point still stands: being an author does not qualify one to be a publisher. There's plenty proof of that.
M.R.J. Le Blanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #243
Elicia
Author

Elicia is on a distinguished road
After reading all these threads I am confused. They are however a bit old so I thought I would ask a new question:

What to date does anyone Know about Dave Barlow and Wandering Sage Books? I see they are small, there website could use some work, but are they: A vanity publisher...even if in hiding...like do they charge for editing, or anything else?
Elicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #244
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Is now Wandering Sage Publications and here: http://www.wanderingsagepublications.com/

Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #245
wsd

Never claimed to be perfect and every one continues to learn through out life ever improving. People always love to complain and talk bad about others, what a wonderful way to be huh.
I may not be the biggest or the best but I do try to do what I can for authors who need a start... and i am sure there will be some more grumpy comments from people who think they know, but as they say - those who complain the most have never done.
: ) ---- thanks to all for your glowing thoughts and wishes of well being / Oh wait there were none of those.... hmmmm
Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #246
Terie
Writer is as Writer does

Terie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsd View Post
Never claimed to be perfect and every one continues to learn through out life ever improving. People always love to complain and talk bad about others, what a wonderful way to be huh.
I may not be the biggest or the best but I do try to do what I can for authors who need a start... and i am sure there will be some more grumpy comments from people who think they know, but as they say - those who complain the most have never done.
: ) ---- thanks to all for your glowing thoughts and wishes of well being / Oh wait there were none of those.... hmmmm
Well, now, that was certainly professional. Is this an indicator for the professionalism typical for your company?

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog
Terie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #247
wsd

LOL.... I guess my point was made....
What am I to do, agree to all the comments and have no opinion at all?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #248
Terie
Writer is as Writer does

Terie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsd View Post
LOL.... I guess my point was made....
What am I to do, agree to all the comments and have no opinion at all?
Well, you're the one who revived a thread that was more than 6 months old, and whose last substantive comment was more than a year and a half old. There are actually meaningful things you could say about your company that might even serve to change the impression in this thread. What you keep doing every year or so isn't one of them.

If you keep reviving this old thread to do nothing but make sarcastic comments, well, it doesn't speak well of your professionalism.

Of course, if you want to keep digging, no one here will stop you.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog
Terie is offline   Reply With Quote