Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #76
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
kap,
Thanks for sharing that and...darn.
hillaryjacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:44 AM   #77
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Query tracker removed Drew and Rob today as well.

I wonder if they're forming their own agency? The boss got wind and pre-emptively fired them?
Old 07-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #78
KAP
Hangin' with the gargies

KAP is a glorious beacon of lightKAP is a glorious beacon of light
I got word today that Andrea's assistant is reviewing the manuscript I sent Rob and will get back to me. Can't ask for more than that.

kap
Dark Knowledge - When good and evil intertwine, taking one means accepting the other.
Above Haldis Notch - Physical death is tragic, but the death of a spirit is a life forever lost.
Daeva - Under contract with Aqueous Books for November 2015 release.
KAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #79
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I also got a message today (from Rob's email address but sent by Andrea) letting me know they are reviewing the material (partial) I sent. Looks like they're addressing the departures in a responsible and prompt manner, which is a big contrast from some of the "black hole" stories I've heard about agents departing other agencies over the years.
hillaryjacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #80
miles
Pack Leader

miles has a spectacular auramiles has a spectacular aura
I got a mail from Andrea stating that Rob Daniel passed away.
miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #81
KAP
Hangin' with the gargies

KAP is a glorious beacon of lightKAP is a glorious beacon of light
Sad news indeed. Rest in peace, Rob.
Dark Knowledge - When good and evil intertwine, taking one means accepting the other.
Above Haldis Notch - Physical death is tragic, but the death of a spirit is a life forever lost.
Daeva - Under contract with Aqueous Books for November 2015 release.
KAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:14 AM   #82
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, that's sad. It must have been unexpected if he was asking for material so recently. I wish them the best. Good luck to recent submitters.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #83
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Oh, how sad about Rob. He seemed like such a nice man in my dealings with him.

Everyone, good luck with your submissions.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #84
Sweet Tea
Gone to pee - don't touch my glass!

Sweet Tea has earned our admirationSweet Tea has earned our admirationSweet Tea has earned our admirationSweet Tea has earned our admiration
Queried Gordon Warnock on 7/8 - got the big R on 7/10. Disappointed, but I do appreciate the quick response time.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #85
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got a form from R Drew Perez today from his Hurst account with the Hurst sig.

I wonder why he left at the same time Rob died and why he (or someone assuming his identity for e-mail purposes) is still listing himself as:

"Drew Perez
Literary Agent
Andrea Hurst Literary Management"

in his sig...

Very strange.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:29 AM   #86
Tales of the Pack
Sex. Feminism. Lesbian Werewolves.

Tales of the Pack is on a distinguished road
I queried Gordon Warnock at the end of June and got a partial request today. Still don't see any sales from him on the site, and they seem a little light on sales overall, but he seems quite nice and I'm interested in hearing how it goes.
Tales of the Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:09 AM   #87
sarahfru
Chin up.

sarahfru is on a distinguished road
Sent an equery to Gordon Warnock and received a reject same-day. From his blackberry.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #88
plaidearthworm
Rock and Squiggle

plaidearthworm is a splendid one to beholdplaidearthworm is a splendid one to beholdplaidearthworm is a splendid one to behold
I noticed that P&E has this agency listed with an 'editing advisory.' Is that new, and is it because they also have paid editing services?

Every day is a geek holiday over at Pure Geek!

Is the moon rising in your house or are you just happy to see me? Check out your weekly forecast at Wisecrack Zodiac!
plaidearthworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #89
angelfrancis
I got this!

angelfrancis is on a distinguished road
I queried Gordon as well today

When Norah and her suicidal half-sister are sent to a boarding school in Germany, they are shocked to learn their classmates are characters from storybooks.

Twitter Blog
angelfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #90
ether
practical experience, FTW

ether is a shiny, shiny jewelether is a shiny, shiny jewel
Queried Gordon on 8/26, still waiting to hear back.

[Website + Blog|

HUSHED (2011) | HOLLOWED (2012) | SUICIDE WATCH (2012) | MADE OF STARS (2013)
ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #91
Tales of the Pack
Sex. Feminism. Lesbian Werewolves.

Tales of the Pack is on a distinguished road
Got to R on 8/22.

Now on sale:Amazon, Barnes & Noble, & IndieBound

Two words: Lesbian Werewolves
TalesofthePack
Facebook
Twitter
GoodReads
Tales of the Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #92
The Darc
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

The Darc is on a distinguished road
Anyone had a successful fiction sale?

Has anyone out there had successful fiction sales with Andrea Hurst's agency?

My novel is YA fantasy, so I was a little surprised when they requested a partial, since it's not a genre they typically represent. Does anyone have experience with their fiction representation, particularly YA? Thank you!
The Darc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #93
Evvie
figuring it all out

Evvie is on a distinguished road
I just queried Nickie Motter with my upper Mg/lower YA fantasy. (It really teeters on the verge so I figured I'd give her a shot) She doesn't rep MG fyi--but mine is so in between I thought I'd try b/c she likes dark elements and twisted villains.

Query was sent Dec 26th so here's hoping.

EDIT*******QUERIED VICKIE NOT NICKIE...typo...but just so no one mistakes it in the future

Last edited by Evvie; 12-29-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Evvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #94
Esmeralda
Snowman...on the job

Esmeralda is a splendid one to beholdEsmeralda is a splendid one to beholdEsmeralda is a splendid one to behold
Good luck Evvie.
Esmeralda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:55 AM   #95
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evvie View Post
I just queried Nickie Motter with my upper Mg/lower YA fantasy. (It really teeters on the verge so I figured I'd give her a shot) She doesn't rep MG fyi--but mine is so in between I thought I'd try b/c she likes dark elements and twisted villains.

I hope you spelled her name correctly. It's Vickie (not Nickie). (I'm not trying to be snarky, just wanted to correct it here in case others query her from your post). Good luck with your querying!

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Last edited by Erin; 12-28-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #96
Evvie
figuring it all out

Woops typo on my part. Luckily, I only query with last names And thanks Esmerelda!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:05 AM   #97
poofysheep
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

poofysheep is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evvie View Post

EDIT*******QUERIED VICKIE NOT NICKIE...typo...but just so no one mistakes it in the future

I just got a rejection from her on my partial. It was oddly blunt and rude-sounding, and pretty impersonal for a partial. Oh well, what can ya do? I hope you have a better experience!

Put a little passion into it. Rawr.

www.poofysheep.com
http://poofysheep.etsy.com
poofysheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:51 AM   #98
KingM
practical experience, FTW

KingM is a shiny, shiny jewelKingM is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by poofysheep View Post
I just got a rejection from her on my partial. It was oddly blunt and rude-sounding, and pretty impersonal for a partial. Oh well, what can ya do? I hope you have a better experience!
I don't know the specifics of this particular rejection, but a lot of times what looks blunt and rude sounding is an agent trying to be helpful instead of just giving a form reject.

I welcome queries, but only when your book is ready.
michael (at) veritasliterary (dot) com

Veritas Literary

KingM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #99
SteveCordero
Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'

SteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by poofysheep View Post
The days of personalized rejections are gone. Today, most agents use form rejections on partials and even full requests. Vickie is a new agent so she's likely using the current method of form rejections.
SteveCordero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #100
Evvie
figuring it all out

Stats:

Query 12/26
R 12/30

Not bad. Good luck to the rest of you