Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #26
Kirk T
Cap'n Kirk

Kirk T is on a distinguished road
Sourcebooks and imprints

I have been checking out Sourcebooks website for a while now, and I am still confused on what type of publishing they offer. I am assuming they are traditional, they do ask for a printed manuscript sample, but I am still not sure. Also, what does imprint mean? Is it one of their in-house publishers? I know Sourcebooks has a B- rating with the BBB, which is certainly better than the F rating that PA so badly earned, but can anybody tell me anything else? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Kirk T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #27
profen4
Monkeys are evil

profen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admiration
If we're talking about the same Sourcebooks, http://www.sourcebooks.com/ then it's one of the most well regarded independent commercial publishers out there. I'd be ecstatic to score a contract with them.

As for imprints: Most commercial publishers have imprints. they're just divisions in the company that focus on specific markets. As far as I know soursebooks have their Fire imprint that focuses on YA, and Jabberwocky, which focuses on lower word-count/MG
ao lot nam cao cap do boi tre em dep thoi trang be trai cao cap vest cong so nu ao so mi nu chup anh da ngoai
Again - I certainly wouldn't let some random b- rating on BBB stop me from subbing to them.

Good luck!

Steven Whibley | author website | blog | facebook

Last edited by profen4; 05-14-2013 at 07:42 PM.
profen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #28
ixchel
figuring it all out

ixchel is on a distinguished road
Sourcebooks is a new YA imprint. I review and have received a couple of their books. I've been very impressed with them.
ixchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #29
ResearchGuy
Resident Curmudgeon

ResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk T View Post
I have been checking out Sourcebooks website for a while now, and I am still confused on what type of publishing they offer. I am assuming they are traditional, they do ask for a printed manuscript sample, but I am still not sure. Also, what does imprint mean? Is it one of their in-house publishers? I know Sourcebooks has a B- rating with the BBB, which is certainly better than the F rating that PA so badly earned, but can anybody tell me anything else? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sourcebooks (the only publisher I know of by that name, anyway) is a commercial publisher. ("Traditional" is not a meaningful term.) An imprint is a line within a publishing house. See this Wikipedia entry for a summary.

Dunno about BBB questions. Sourcebooks is well regarded, well established, and publishes hundreds of books each year. Its founder and CEO, Dominique Raccah, is well known in the industry. She will keynote an upcoming conference in Sacramento (this coming Saturday). Scroll down in this document for a brief bio of her.

Sourcebooks is not a vanity or subsidy publisher (nothing like a PublishAmerica or an iUniverse, Trafford, etc.)

Here is the scoop on submisions: http://www.sourcebooks.com/our-autho...bmissions.html

Seems pretty straightforward.

--Ken
ResearchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #30
ixchel
figuring it all out

ixchel is on a distinguished road
Right. Just double checked. The imprint I've been reviewing is Sourcebook Fire--a YA imprint. I've read and reviewed two of their new titles and have been impressed. They also have been featured at YAlitchat.
ixchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #31
ChelseaWriter
practical experience, FTW

ChelseaWriter has a spectacular auraChelseaWriter has a spectacular aura
The answer's probably right in front of me, but I'm a little confused on their submission process (here - http://www.sourcebooks.com/our-autho...uidelines.html)

It says "to query," and gives instructions. Then it says, "to submit" (chapters or full manuscript) and gives instructions.

My question is, do they want a query only first, and then if they request a submission, then those are the guidelines? Or - is it okay just to go ahead and send a submission (full manuscript?) up front, the first time?

Thanks for any clarification y'all can give...

Author website

*publishing contract just signed!

ChelseaWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:28 AM   #32
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaWriter View Post
The answer's probably right in front of me, but I'm a little confused on their submission process (here - http://www.sourcebooks.com/our-autho...uidelines.html)

It says "to query," and gives instructions. Then it says, "to submit" (chapters or full manuscript) and gives instructions.

My question is, do they want a query only first, and then if they request a submission, then those are the guidelines? Or - is it okay just to go ahead and send a submission (full manuscript?) up front, the first time?

Thanks for any clarification y'all can give...
FWIW...I've always interpreted it to mean you can submit the chapters or full manuscript with the query.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:32 AM   #33
ChelseaWriter

Thanks, Erin! That's what I was thinking, too. I'll go ahead and take my chances and submit that way...

Author website

Old 08-21-2010, 03:36 AM   #34
Erin

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
This is a little old, but Deb talks about submissions here:

http://casablancaauthors.blogspot.co...acquiring.html

Old 08-21-2010, 03:38 AM   #35
ChelseaWriter

Excellent! Thanks again! :-)

Author website

Old 09-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #36
KookyKat
figuring it all out

KookyKat is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have any idea of the kind of advances these guys offer?
KookyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:23 AM   #37
ResearchGuy
Resident Curmudgeon

ResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by KookyKat View Post
Does anyone have any idea of the kind of advances these guys offer?
Standard sorts of advances, as far as I know. But they are very, very selective. The CEO, Dominque Raccah, made that clear when she spoke to NCPA's conference in April. FWIW, she said they are looking for authors, not just books. That is, they want long-term, multi-book authors.

--Ken
Old 09-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #38
michael_b
So many ideas, never enough time.

michael_b is a shiny, shiny jewelmichael_b is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchGuy View Post
Standard sorts of advances, as far as I know. But they are very, very selective. The CEO, Dominque Raccah, made that clear when she spoke to NCPA's conference in April. FWIW, she said they are looking for authors, not just books. That is, they want long-term, multi-book authors.

--Ken
Maybe they don't like the 'author mill' model so popular with a lot of smaller presses. I know I certainly don't, from either a publisher or author standpoint.
I do NaNoWriMo

**An All Romance eBooks Bestseller**
Order-The Prince He Loved
Print
Ebook

Temporarily on a writing hiatus
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:41 AM   #39
agentpaper
One of many

agentpaper is well-respected
Came here to post what their new YA editor posted here the other day. It might lead you somewhere where it says what they offer for advances. I do know that they say they pay lower advances than some because they spend more on marketing. Not sure what lower means, but it was enough of an advance that my agent submits to them. So, it must not be too low.

All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream-Edgar Allen Poe

RENEGADE ~ November 13, 2012 from Tor Teen (Macmillan)

Revelations ~ November 5, 2013 from Tor Teen (Macmillan)
agentpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:52 AM   #40
ResearchGuy
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_b View Post
Maybe they don't like the 'author mill' model so popular with a lot of smaller presses. I know I certainly don't, from either a publisher or author standpoint.
It's not exactly a small press. Not one of the half-dozen behemoths, but not small. And it is not an "author mill." It has been described this way: "Sourcebooks, which the largest female-owned publisher in the country, publishes a variety of books from New York Times bestsellers to children’s books."

--Ken
Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 PM   #41
nash
nom.nom.nom.nom

nash is on a distinguished road
It's so very quiet here. Any updates? Anyone? My YA full ms is with Sourcebooks Fire and my 8-10 week response time recently lapsed. No word yet. I'm afraid to SQ and maybe jinx it. LOL *fingerscrossed*
nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #42
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash View Post
It's so very quiet here. Any updates? Anyone? My YA full ms is with Sourcebooks Fire and my 8-10 week response time recently lapsed. No word yet. I'm afraid to SQ and maybe jinx it. LOL *fingerscrossed*
A polite, appropriate status query never jinxes anything. That said, if they suggested 8-10 weeks, I would give them at least 12 weeks before nudging.

Find me at
BookTweeting on Twitter
for a book review a day, every day!
JUST LAUNCHED:
EbookCheapskate,
where you'll find reviews of
free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:24 PM   #43
Gravity
Seen 'em come, seen 'em go

Location: Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
Gravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm a bit confused. Do they only require an agent for YA queries, or can an un-agented author submit a query to them for a non-YA MS?

commercially published: Abyss, Until the Last Dog Dies, When Skylarks Fall, To Skin a Cat, and Last Call

agent Chip MacGregor presently querying: Pitfall

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com/blog.htm
check out my blog; c'mon, you know you want to.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:12 AM   #44
nash
nom.nom.nom.nom

nash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
I'm a bit confused. Do they only require an agent for YA queries, or can an un-agented author submit a query to them for a non-YA MS?
I'd go by whatever their posted guidelines are. Mine was a request from a writer's conference. (Also, Leah H., YA editor, put out an open call for YA submissions on her blog last year. I'm not sure if she's still accepting unagented YA mss now though.)
nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:56 AM   #45
Erin

I know you can submit un-agented adult romance novels, but I'm not sure about other adult genres. Best to read their submisson guidelines.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #46
soccerloves101
figuring it all out

soccerloves101 is on a distinguished road
Sourcebooks?

I'm interested in submitting to Sourcebooks and I wanted to know if anyone has worked with them. They are currently accepting non-agented submissions for their new YA branch (Sourcebooks Fire).

I've heard great things about Sourcebooks who are quickly growing and making a name for themselves.

I just wanted more of a personal opinion on AW from anyone here who has submitted or worked with them.

Thanks
soccerloves101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #47
ResearchGuy
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerloves101 View Post
. . . I just wanted more of a personal opinion on AW from anyone here who has submitted or worked with them.. . .
I heard and met the CEO, Dominque Raccah, at a conference last year. She is a dynamo. She said that Sourcebooks is looking to publish authors, not just books -- that is, authors with potential and likelihood of a long career and book after book.

--Ken
Old 06-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #48
priceless1
Banned

priceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthood
Ditto that, Ken. Dominique is a love and runs a fabulous company.
priceless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #49
michael_b
So many ideas, never enough time.

michael_b is a shiny, shiny jewelmichael_b is a shiny, shiny jewel
I read a couple books put out by them recently. Can't say the editing wowed me. The books were riddled with a large number of typos and the--what I call--'common romance novel' grammar errors. May used instead of might, laid used in place of lay/lie/lain.
I do NaNoWriMo

**An All Romance eBooks Bestseller**
Order-The Prince He Loved
Print
Ebook

Temporarily on a writing hiatus
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #50
brainstorm77

brainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I know some authors who have signed with them and are very pleased. They are also in stores in my area.
brainstorm77 is offline   Reply With Quote