• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Atlantis Short Story Contest

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
This one hit my inbox this morning. I'm not finding much of anything one way or the other. Any of you ever heard of this?

http://atlantis-shortstorycontest.com/

(OTOH, 2016 just bit our family in the rear last week and I fully admit my search-fu ain't what it ought to be. I could have missed it in the index.)

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Looks like a scam and/or a project begun by someone who knows very little about the publishing industry. From what I read the site seems more designed around the feedback aspect of the contest. Also, this is the first contest I've ever seen that has Testimonials.

On the plus side, and entry fee of $10 is on the low side. However, I can't see winning the contest providing any benefit to the winner, and a critique from someone I don't know and/or trust and/or respect is pretty much useless.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They only need 45 entries to pay the winners. Number 46 and above is just gravy. They're poised to make a small chunk of change off of this.

Hyperion

Registered
Reaction score
The prizes are also broad enough to encourage participation. Top 40 entrants get their name in lights? Why not give everyone a prize?

These types of thing are seriously pointless.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
They appear to define 'partners' as anyone who mentions them. I'm fairly certain that neither the South Australian Writers Centre nor WritingWA (Western Australia) are partners with Atlantis in any meaningful way.

Last edited: